PDA

View Full Version : House will vote on exact Senate Bill... and on a reconciliation package. Huh?

Little-Acorn
03-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Do I have this right?

The House is about to vote on a bill that is the EXACT bill passed by the Senate last Christmas eve. If it passes, then it can go straight to the President for his signature, right? At that point, the Constitutional requirement will be satisfied: House and Senate both pass the same bill.

But the House will also vote separately, on a "reconciliation package".

What's that for? I thought a "reconciliation package" was only for when the House version was DIFFERENT from the Senate version? But this one is identical. Why do they need "reconciliation"?

Mr. P
03-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Do I have this right?

The House is about to vote on a bill that is the EXACT bill passed by the Senate last Christmas eve. If it passes, then it can go straight to the President for his signature, right? At that point, the Constitutional requirement will be satisfied: House and Senate both pass the same bill.

What's that for? I thought a "reconciliation package" was only for when the House version was DIFFERENT from the Senate version? But this one is identical. Why do they need "reconciliation"?

Seems to me they are using the reconciliation process they said they were NOT going to use. No?

Little-Acorn
03-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Seems to me they are using the reconciliation process they said they were NOT going to use. No?

Why do they need to use it at all? Senate passed the bill. House passes same bill. Zero signs it. Game over. No reconciliation needed, correct?

Mr. P
03-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Why do they need to use it at all? Senate passed the bill. House passes same bill. Zero signs it. Game over. No reconciliation needed, correct?

The bills were not the same as I understand it, which is what makes a vote on reconciliation necessary as I understand it.

Kathianne
03-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Do I have this right?

My understanding is the House will pass the Senate bill, then it will go to the Senate to be 'fixed.' However, looks like that may be a no go, as the Senate doesn't like many of the changes the House wants. (More spending and more taxes). If they can't 'fix', the President could sign the original Senate bill, already passed by the House. There would be major blowback by House Democrats, not to mention the already angry citizenry.