PDA

View Full Version : Darwin strikes again: Global Warming activist freezes to death (is this a joke?)

Little-Acorn
03-29-2010, 01:10 PM
This undated article is not from The Onion, though it certainly sounds like it should be.

It describes some Global Warming nutcase, who apparently had the funds to mount an expedition on a continental ice cap... but whose wife didn't even know where he was going. And it describes how this nutcase didn't know that July was the cold season around the South Pole. And he didn't even turn back when he noticed the sun was down 24 hours a day as he was sledding along.

I've been near the North Pole for a 2-1/2 year stretch, and I know that it's as dark as the inside of a black cow when the Pole is turned away from the sun. No way could these sledders even have seen an ice boulder in front of their faces under those conditions - and they kept going???

Hard to believe that anyone could be THAT dumb, even an environmental whacko.

It's also unclear how the aircraft pilot could have seen them, or their rope that spelled out "Help - Cold", when it was pitch black 24 hours a day. Aircraft don't even fly there during the dark season. Perhaps the plane found them months later, when the sun was up? If so, why was no alarm raised between July and the date (whenever that was) they were found?

And if they weren't found until months after they died, the rope (and maybe the people, tents, etc.) would have been covered by blowing snow by then.

Frankly, this whole thing sounds like a made-up joke to me, if a sick one.

-------------------------------------

http://www.ecoenquirer.com/south-pole-tragedy.htm

Global Warming Activist, Journalist, Perish in Antarctica

Global warming activist James Schneider and a journalist were found frozen to death only 90 miles from their destination, South Pole Station, seen here during the warm season.

(Punta Arenas, Chile) Famed global warming activist James Schneider and a journalist friend were both found frozen to death on Saturday, about 90 miles from South Pole Station, by the pilot of a ski plane practicing emergency evacuation procedures.

"I couldn't believe what I was seeing", recounted the pilot, Jimmy Dolittle. "There were two snowmobiles with cargo sleds, a tent, and a bright orange rope that had been laid out on the ice, forming the words, 'HELP-COLD'".

One friend of Prof. Schneider told ecoEnquirer that he had been planning a trip to an ice sheet to film the devastation brought on by global warming. His wife, Linda, said that she had heard him discussing the trip with his environmental activist friends, but she assumed that he was talking about the Greenland ice sheet, a much smaller ice sheet than Antarctica.

"He kept talking about when they 'get down to chili', and I thought they were talking about the order in which they would consume their food supplies", Mrs. Schneider recounted. "I had no idea they were talking about Chile, the country from which you usually fly or sail in order to reach Antarctica".

Apparently, while all of Prof. Schneider's friends were assuming that the July trek would be to Greenland, during Northern Hemisphere summer, his plans were actually to snowmobile to the South Pole - which, in July, is in the dead of winter.

Mr. Dolittle related how some people do not realize that, even if there has been warming in Antarctica, the average temperature at the South Pole in July still runs about 70 degrees F below zero. "Some people think that July is warm everywhere on Earth."

"And I was surprised to see how close they got to South Pole Station. They ran through all of their gas supplies for the snowmobiles", explained Doolittle. "They had cold weather gear and clothes, but during this time of year you just don't go outside unless it is an emergency."

"At least James died for something he believed in", said Mrs. Schneider. "He died while trying to raise awareness of the enormous toll that global warming is taking on the Earth."

HogTrash
03-30-2010, 05:35 AM
One less liberal idiot in the world :mm: Finally, a positive aspect of the 'mancaused, global warming' scam.

Kathianne
03-30-2010, 05:52 AM
Seems like it was a baited story and many took the bait:

from where else?

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201003290048

Too good to check: RW blogs again snared by satire
March 29, 2010 5:47 pm ET by Matt Gertz

The right-wing media's tendency to believe anything that bolsters their worldview is well-documented. Last October, for example, they rushed to trumpet a blogger's entirely unsourced claim that President Obama attacked the Founders and the Constitution in his college thesis, only to end up looking extremely foolish once it became clear that the initial blog post that started the firestorm was tagged "Satire."

So you'll probably guess where I'm going when I mention that several right-wing news sources -- including Fox News -- today jumped on an EcoEnquirer.com report that "Famed global warming activist James Schneider and a journalist friend were both found frozen to death on Saturday, about 90 miles from South Pole Station."

Yup, EcoEnquirer.com is a satire site currently fronting "Breaking News" about the successful 2027 Bali global warming conference. Other EcoEnquirer.com stories include "U.S.-Canada Border Conflict Continues" and "EPA to Mandate Reductions in Emissions from Volcanoes."...

Nukeman
03-30-2010, 08:09 AM
The disclaimer at the bottom of the page.

hell jsut look at the titles of the other stories

DISCLAIMER
All content on this site, being a mixture of parody, satire, and lame humor, is for entertainment purposes only. If any content is found to be offensive or objectionable in any way, please accept our apologies... but we also suggest that you get a life.

Kathianne
03-30-2010, 08:13 AM
The disclaimer at the bottom of the page.

hell jsut look at the titles of the other stories

Well from what I could tell from my preliminary first search, most of the 'stories' were on little known blogs. Then a few bigger ones quoted the wee ones. Always a mistake to not check out oneself.