PDA

View Full Version : Dad of a fallen Marine perseveres against protests at military funerals

chloe
03-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Albert Snyder says he won't pay court-ordered legal fees of the fundamentalist Westboro Baptist Church, which organizes protests at military funerals. He sued the group after it picketed at his son's funeral in 2006, and the US Supreme Court has agreed to hear his appeal.

Washington
A father of a Marine killed in Iraq says he won't pay the legal fees of a protest group who picketed at his son's funeral in 2006 – at least not until he hears from the US Supreme Court on the matter.

<!-- Anchor skipper link. Should be placed at the end of the Related Items pod and before the next paragraph -->Albert Snyder, whose son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, was killed in Iraq, learned Friday that a federal appeals court is requiring him to pay more than $16,000 in legal fees to the Westboro Baptist Church, a Christian fundamentalist group that demonstrates during military funerals to gain attention for its antigovernment, antihomosexual message.

The group rallied at Matthew Snyder’s funeral in March 2006 in Westminster, Md., chanting antigay slogans and carrying signs such as “Thank God for dead soldiers,” says Albert Snyder’s attorney, Sean Summers.

The group was protesting about 30 feet from the church’s main entrance, and Mr. Snyder had to enter through a separate entrance, Mr. Summers says.

Snyder subsequently sued the Westboro group for emotional distress and won a $5 million judgment. But on appeal, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed, finding in favor of protecting the protesters' free-speech rights. About three weeks ago, the Supreme Court agreed to take the case and is expected to hear it in the fall. (Last year, the high court had declined to take up the issue.) Meanwhile, the circuit court has ordered Snyder, a salesman, to pay the church’s court expenses.

Snyder, of York, Pa., told Fox News on Tuesday that he would not pay the Westboro Baptist Church "until I hear from the Supreme Court."
“It’s fair to say that they are not getting any Christmas cards from Mr. Snyder,” adds Summers, in a phone interview. “He obviously thinks they are despicable and doesn’t understand why they would target him.”

The Westboro group has been protesting at military members’ funerals for years. The church leader, Fred Phelps, preaches that American deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan are punishment for the nation’s tolerance of homosexuality. (He was among those banned from Britain last year for fostering hatred or extremism.) The protests have nothing to do with the fallen service members' sexual orientation, and the church says its protests are held within a “lawful distance” of the funerals.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2010/0330/Dad-of-a-fallen-Marine-perseveres-against-protests-at-military-funerals

Missileman
03-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Albert Snyder says he won't pay court-ordered legal fees of the fundamentalist Westboro Baptist Church, which organizes protests at military funerals. He sued the group after it picketed at his son's funeral in 2006, and the US Supreme Court has agreed to hear his appeal.

Washington
A father of a Marine killed in Iraq says he won't pay the legal fees of a protest group who picketed at his son's funeral in 2006 – at least not until he hears from the US Supreme Court on the matter.

<!-- Anchor skipper link. Should be placed at the end of the Related Items pod and before the next paragraph -->Albert Snyder, whose son, Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder, was killed in Iraq, learned Friday that a federal appeals court is requiring him to pay more than $16,000 in legal fees to the Westboro Baptist Church, a Christian fundamentalist group that demonstrates during military funerals to gain attention for its antigovernment, antihomosexual message.

The group rallied at Matthew Snyder’s funeral in March 2006 in Westminster, Md., chanting antigay slogans and carrying signs such as “Thank God for dead soldiers,” says Albert Snyder’s attorney, Sean Summers.

The group was protesting about 30 feet from the church’s main entrance, and Mr. Snyder had to enter through a separate entrance, Mr. Summers says.

Snyder subsequently sued the Westboro group for emotional distress and won a $5 million judgment. But on appeal, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals reversed, finding in favor of protecting the protesters' free-speech rights. About three weeks ago, the Supreme Court agreed to take the case and is expected to hear it in the fall. (Last year, the high court had declined to take up the issue.) Meanwhile, the circuit court has ordered Snyder, a salesman, to pay the church’s court expenses.

Snyder, of York, Pa., told Fox News on Tuesday that he would not pay the Westboro Baptist Church "until I hear from the Supreme Court."
“It’s fair to say that they are not getting any Christmas cards from Mr. Snyder,” adds Summers, in a phone interview. “He obviously thinks they are despicable and doesn’t understand why they would target him.”

The Westboro group has been protesting at military members’ funerals for years. The church leader, Fred Phelps, preaches that American deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan are punishment for the nation’s tolerance of homosexuality. (He was among those banned from Britain last year for fostering hatred or extremism.) The protests have nothing to do with the fallen service members' sexual orientation, and the church says its protests are held within a “lawful distance” of the funerals.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2010/0330/Dad-of-a-fallen-Marine-perseveres-against-protests-at-military-funerals

Bill O'Reilly has already said he'll cover the legal expenses for the dad

chloe
03-30-2010, 09:41 PM
Bill O Reilly is pretty cool guy:cool:

Jeff
03-31-2010, 07:36 AM
I just saw this on another site, hell pay legal fees , these people ought to be shot on site, to protest a funeral should be against the law, I have 4 sons, I really hope and pray nothing like this ever happens to them, the headlines would be a lot different

Bill O Reilly shouldn't have to pay but I think that is fantastic that he has offered, Our country has gone completely to shit when one of our soldiers gives his all and others protest it, makes me sick

LiberalNation
03-31-2010, 09:06 AM
should have known that would happening asking for millions in damages. The protesters are assholes but the free speech that protects you and I also protects them. You hafta take the good with the bad.

Noir
03-31-2010, 09:15 AM
It is disrespectful and horrid what these people do in the name of their god, however, I do not think they have done anything legally wrong (Except possiblely harrasment?) and so will likly win the case I would think.

namvet
03-31-2010, 09:34 AM
4kWLT2W-kGk

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a47_1269989714&c=1

why such an increase in violence and hatred???

we are one nation divided under Osama that's why

HogTrash
03-31-2010, 09:36 AM
How disgustingly sad!...At times like this I almost feel like adopting Noir's warped sense of reasoning and rationale.

But then I remember that these people are the exception, not the rule...A few grains of sand on an endless beach.

Noir
03-31-2010, 09:44 AM
4kWLT2W-kGk

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a47_1269989714&c=1

why such an increase in violence and hatred???

we are one nation divided under Osama that's why

I can't see the video because I'm on my phone, but assuming it's linked to the OP, you blame Obama for this?

Noir
03-31-2010, 09:47 AM
How disgustingly sad!...At times like this I almost feel like adopting Noir's warped sense of reasoning and rationale.

But then I remember that these people are the exception, not the rule...A few grains of sand on an endless beach.

You cam mot deny that these people are doing what they are doing just because they believe in a god of some description, same with those wakos the FBI arrested the other day, and the Islamic terrorists ect ect.
Religion is the justification.

chloe
03-31-2010, 09:21 PM
You cam mot deny that these people are doing what they are doing just because they believe in a god of some description, same with those wakos the FBI arrested the other day, and the Islamic terrorists ect ect.
Religion is the justification.

Yeah its because of there religious belief

Jeff
03-31-2010, 09:30 PM
should have known that would happening asking for millions in damages. The protesters are assholes but the free speech that protects you and I also protects them. You hafta take the good with the bad.

I sure hope they remember that good and bad shit if I am ever around to witness it, but yes LN I know you are right, but t still sucks

namvet
03-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Outrage After Marine's Father Ordered to Pay Funeral Protester's Fees

The VFW issued a statement to its members asking them to help Albert Snyder pay a court-ordered legal fees.
A court order requiring the father of a Marine killed in Iraq to pay court costs of anti-gay protestors who picketed the funeral has not only angered the father -- it is prompting outcry among among veterans.

The VFW issued a statement to its members calling on them to help the father, Albert Snyder of York, Pa., pay the $16,510 owed to Fed Phelps, the leader of Kansas' Westboro Baptist Church, which held protests at Marine Lance Cpl. Matthew Snyder's funeral in 2006.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/31/outrage-marines-father-ordered-pay-funeral-protesters-fees/?test=latestnews

well he's getting plenty of support.

HogTrash
04-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Religion is the justification.No doubt their motivation is religion, but it is not in the least bit indicative of Christianity in any way, shape or form.

This group is like a drop of unholy water in an ocean of religion...Do you want to judge all Christianity by these idiots?

I have heard people of many faiths, including Christians, critisizing these shameless lowlife excuses for human beings.

Noir
04-01-2010, 02:44 PM
No doubt their motivation is religion, but it is not in the least bit indicative of Christianity in any way, shape or form.

This group is like a drop of unholy water in an ocean of religion...Do you want to judge all Christianity by these idiots?

I have heard people of many faiths, including Christians, critisizing these shameless lowlife excuses for human beings.

Muslims say the same when some islamic terrorist does something.

Now obviously I'm not saying these people represent everyone of their religion, however it does show what belief without evidence does to people. Anything is justifiable when you believe your god wants you to do it.

HogTrash
04-04-2010, 11:52 AM

Now obviously I'm not saying these people represent everyone of their religion, however it does show what belief without evidence does to people. Anything is justifiable when you believe your god wants you to do it.The evils of Islam have affected our lives much more than anything Christianity has ever done, yet you rarely complain or critisize it.

Noir
04-04-2010, 11:59 AM
The evils of Islam have affected our lives much more than anything Christianity has ever done, yet you rarely complain or critisize it.

Lololololololol

You may want to look into the role of the church in Ireland/ Northern Ireland over the past 300 years to see how silly the above comment is.

HogTrash
04-04-2010, 01:26 PM

Now obviously I'm not saying these people represent everyone of their religion, however it does show what belief without evidence does to people. Anything is justifiable when you believe your god wants you to do it.Wrong, it shows what falsely interpreted beliefs can do to an insignificant group of morons that you have confused with mainstream Christianity.

Actually, I don't believe you are stupid enough to believe this but you believe we will if you can repeat it often enough.

Like I ask you once before, what happened to that favorite liberal argument about "painting entire groups with a broad brush"?

Noir
04-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Wrong, it shows what falsely interpreted beliefs can do to an insignificant group of morons that you have confused with mainstream Christianity.

Actually, I don't believe you are stupid enough to believe this but you believe we will if you can repeat it often enough.

Like I ask you once before, what happened to that favorite liberal argument about "painting entire groups with a broad brush"?

Did you miss the part where I said "Now obviously I'm not saying these people represent everyone of their religion" *sigh*

HogTrash
04-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Lololololololol

You may want to look into the role of the church in Ireland/ Northern Ireland over the past 300 years to see how silly the above comment is.You may want to look at the impact Islamic terrorism has had on the entire world in the last three decades and still does to see how silly your comment is.

Noir
04-04-2010, 01:46 PM
You may want to look at the impact Islamic terrorism has had on the entire world in the last three decades and still does to see how silly your comment is.

Oh, so now you've changed from affecting my life to affecting the world. Changing what I was responding too, smooth move, if ever so slightly tactless.
Given the world effect is impossble to quantify I can not comment on that.

Trigg
04-07-2010, 03:28 PM

Snyder filed a federal lawsuit, and was awarded $11 million dollars for invasion of privacy and intentional infliction of emotional distress. But that was soon overturned, as the U.S. Court of Appeals says the decision went against the church's First Amendment right of expression.

It's not over and personally if this isn't "intentional infliction of distress" I don't know what is.

As far as freedom of speech, there have been arrests for "hate speech", how is this any different???

LiberalNation
04-07-2010, 03:32 PM
they weren't calling for violence or death of the father. Westboro guys kids are all lawyers, they know how to walk the line and play the game.

Trigg
04-07-2010, 03:39 PM
they weren't calling for violence or death of the father. Westboro guys kids are all lawyers, they know how to walk the line and play the game.

By their very presence they were intentionally inflicting emotional distress on the family.

Like I said this isn't over and I hope Westboro has to pay the millions to the family. Disgusting group of people.

pete311
04-08-2010, 05:30 PM
in either case, whether they are legally right or wrong really isn't the issue. if society deems the westboro behavior as inappropriate then society must band together and take action. imagine hundreds of thousands of people counter protesting westboro. it's ok if the legal system protects them, but there are other ways for society to pressure and marginalize this group. the problem is people are lazy.