PDA

View Full Version : 2,439 Miles

jimnyc
03-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Left my house at 3am last Wednesday to go South and left the hotel at 3am this morning to finish my trip and get home.

My first day only lasted about 500 and some odd miles and I crashed in Blacksburg, Va, which is the home of the 'Virginia Tech Hokies'. My wife went to school there, and of course says that's where my son will go, so I slept some of the day and went to the campus area in the evening to do some souvenir shopping.

Left at about 6 the next morning and headed for Lexington, SC, where my Dad lives. Spent a good day with him and an awesome home cooked meal to top off my evening before I went to bed early like an old man. Went to the zoo in Columbia, SC the next day. Love some of those big animals but enjoy seeing the monkeys the most. My brother Dan came to town early that evening and the 2 of us headed out for the evening.

Went about 100 miles or so to the Goose Creek, SC area to meet up with Jackass aka Chuck! We all went to another friend of ours Cuban Restaurant and surprised him as he had no idea I was coming and it's been about 8 years since I've seen him. Hell, probably been 5 or 6 years since the last time I saw Chucky. Enjoyed an awesome Cuban sandwich and some Tequila and Kamikazes! Did a LOT of reminiscing, almost all of it bad, and my brother probably took notes and will have a few good stories to remember. Was great though because for me, being with Chuck and Oscar, it felt like old times again within an hour. Sucked though when I left drunk with my brother and got on the highway and the GPS said 100 miles to our exit! Actually felt fine though and got back around 2am. Didn't feel the same when I "came to" at 9am and it was time to leave for Georgia.

I guess I made it to the rest stop right outside Jeff's place around 1:00 or so. We waited there as his wife was picking up my Mom to stay with them for the weekend and she didn't know I was coming. We wanted to wait for them to get back home before we got there. Came in and surprised her but I think she kinda knew. Jeff's wife told her they had a surprise (because she didn't want to come that weekend) and her first guess was that I was in town before Jeff's wife convinced here that wasn't the case. It was awesome to see her since this was my first time seeing her since she left for Georgia last summer.

Also at the house were my brothers 2 youngest sons, Colt and Wyatt. Then his other son Travis lives there, and his eldest, Zach, was in town with one of his friends. A lot of people in one surrounding but it was some funny as hell times with all of them. Hell, I even got shot! I did shoot a couple of .45's while I was there and a cool .38, but it was a BB gun that got me in the end. For the last night there I went out and got a couple of six packs and a big 'ol bottle of Jagermeister. Polished the Jager off and Zach's friend, Robbie, was a staggering comedian about to pass out. He has a seizure disorder, and Jeff was getting the homemade ice cream ready for Robbie to shake in case he had an episode. And if that didn't push him over the limit, Travis was waiting in the dark to plug away at him with a BB gun. I was cracking up till I felt this nasty stinging in my ass. I was done shot in the ass, and that little pop gun hurt! Oh, and Robbie's last drink was a 1/3 of Jager, cooking oil, vinegar, root beer & some maple syrup for extra flavoring. He apparently stated the next day that he didn't have a headache, but he had a hell of a stomachache and was going to the bathroom all day!

Unfortunately, had to leave yesterday. Left about 10 and at about 6 called it a day in Harrisonburg, Pa, home of James Madison University. No story or events there, just slept and back up at 3am today for the last leg of the trip, and got here safely at around 11am.

That's the trip in a quick nutshell. And it actually went that fast as well, 'cept for the driving part, which felt like 6 months. Great being with family though, and seeing best friends - nothing but good times and good laughs.

Kathianne
03-31-2010, 02:35 PM
That sounds like a fantastic time was had by all! Your mom look good? I've heard she's doing well-I bet that was good to see!

Sounds like you were busy all the time and slept well! That's a very good thing. Glad you had so much fun re-connecting with all.

jimnyc
03-31-2010, 02:39 PM
Just poured another cup of coffee and remembered 2 more things...

Damn Trooper got me early this morning in South Newton Twp in Pa and gave me a ticket for 75 in a 65. The fine is only $52.50, but then they tack on $10.00 for "E.M.S" and $30.00 for "MCARE" and $34.50 for "COSTS" and $10.00 for "J.C.P/A.T.J for a total of $137. Don't even say it, Mr. P!!!

Also, like one of my favorite songs states - "You don't know what you got till it's gone". The trip is over, but I was thrilled when I got home to my doggies. My son will be home around 5:30 and I got him a bunch of souvenirs, literally cannot wait to see the little bugger! And hell, I'm actually anxious to see "the woman" and she don't even like me!!

jimnyc
03-31-2010, 02:43 PM
That sounds like a fantastic time was had by all! Your mom look good? I've heard she's doing well-I bet that was good to see!

Sounds like you were busy all the time and slept well! That's a very good thing. Glad you had so much fun re-connecting with all.

Mom looked awesome compared to the last time I saw her. She is on oxygen 24x7, but she gained a ton of weight and looks much healthier now. A lot of her issues are much better but unfortunately there is only so much you can do to make the lungs any better. She is getting around on her own now though, and the personal care place she stays at forces her to walk to get her own meals and to activities. Definitely a nice and quite little place, quite easy to call home I think.

BTW - I did tell her you said hello.

And BTW 2 - to Red - I did plan on stopping and meeting you for a coffee on my return trip, but I drove past your exit at around 5:30ish this morning and assumed you'd rather not hear your phone ring!!

darin
03-31-2010, 04:45 PM
Welcome home, Jim. :) Glad you had a great trip.

If you can, at all, FIGHT that ticket bro. :( Might cost more for a traffic attorney, but will save you in insurance costs.

Jeff
03-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Jim it was great seeing ya, hell felt like old times, We all had a great time, the kids are already asking when ya are coming back, ooo and they are LOL about your ticket, Colt said Dad didn't ya tell him to be cool threw there :laugh2:

OOO and by the way Kathianne made me take over in your absence, the board ran smoothly all except Hog, I had to ban him, he is just to damn PCed :laugh2:

Seriously man we enjoyed the weekend, hope ya can make the trip back down soon, hmmm maybe by then I will have a few more toys to shoot in the yard :thumb:

chloe
03-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Your whole Family living in one location then you J Brothers throw a Big DP Party and invite everyone from the board eh?

Sounds like you all had fun it is a shame you all live far away from each other kind of sad.

jimnyc
04-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Didn't get a chance to take many pictures while I was gone, but I have a bunch from my Dad who brought his camera with him to the Zoo.

Here is a picture of my Stepmother, Laurie, and myself:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2dv0w0j.jpg

Here's one of me and Dad:

http://i39.tinypic.com/rvd7p0.jpg

Here's one of Jackass:

http://i44.tinypic.com/hvz3uv.jpg

Here's one of a pissed off Elephant:

http://i44.tinypic.com/s6rh91.jpg

A giraffe just before he ate a little girls head:

http://i42.tinypic.com/14xgyyo.jpg

A beautiful tiger:

http://i43.tinypic.com/nnvck0.jpg

And a beautiful lion:

http://i40.tinypic.com/vwqws0.jpg

chloe
04-01-2010, 10:20 PM
Great Pics Jim thanks for sharing, your step mom looks very young and she is pretty. Your dad looks like a nice guy. I bet you wish you lived closer to family huh ?

Abbey Marie
04-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Welcome back, Jim. Sounds like you had a blast!

jackass
04-02-2010, 06:44 AM
Jim I had a blast too. Was great seeing you again! Hanging with you Moshe and Dan was fantastic. Alot of laughs. Makes sure you visit soon.