PDA

View Full Version : Obama's 17-minute, 2,500-word response to woman's claim of being 'over-taxed'

red states rule
04-04-2010, 05:51 AM
Here is another examples of how in over his head Obama is. He rambles on and on - and never answers the lady's question on being over taxed already

Obama just falls back on his talking points, and shows how lost he is without his teleprompter

CHARLOTTE - Even by President Obama's loquacious standards, an answer he gave here on health care Friday was a doozy.

Toward the end of a question-and-answer session with workers at an advanced battery technology manufacturer, a woman named Doris stood to ask the president whether it was a "wise decision to add more taxes to us with the health care" package.

"We are over-taxed as it is," Doris said bluntly.

Obama started out feisty. "Well, let's talk about that, because this is an area where there's been just a whole lot of misinformation, and I'm going to have to work hard over the next several months to clean up a lot of the misapprehensions that people have," the president said.

He then spent the next 17 minutes and 12 seconds lulling the crowd into a daze. His discursive answer - more than 2,500 words long -- wandered from topic to topic, including commentary on the deficit, pay-as-you-go rules passed by Congress, Congressional Budget Office reports on Medicare waste, COBRA coverage, the Recovery Act and Federal Medical Assistance Percentages (he referred to this last item by its inside-the-Beltway name, "F-Map"). He talked about the notion of eliminating foreign aid (not worth it, he said). He invoked Warren Buffett, earmarks and the payroll tax that funds Medicare (referring to it, in fluent Washington lingo, as "FICA").

Always fond of lists, Obama ticked off his approach to health care -- twice. "Number one is that we are the only -- we have been, up until last week, the only advanced country that allows 50 million of its citizens to not have any health insurance," he said.

A few minutes later he got to the next point, which seemed awfully similar to the first. "Number two, you don't know who might end up being in that situation," he said, then carried on explaining further still.

"Point number three is that the way insurance companies have been operating, even if you've got health insurance you don't always know what you got, because what has been increasingly the practice is that if you're not lucky enough to work for a big company that is a big pool, that essentially is almost a self-insurer, then what's happening is, is you're going out on the marketplace, you may be buying insurance, you think you're covered, but then when you get sick they decide to drop the insurance right when you need it," Obama continued, winding on with the answer.

Halfway through, an audience member on the riser yawned.

But Obama wasn't finished. He had a "final point," before starting again with another list -- of three points.

"What we said is, number one, we'll have the basic principle that everybody gets coverage," he said, before launching into the next two points, for a grand total of seven.

His wandering approach might not matter if Obama weren't being billed as the chief salesman of the health-care overhaul. Public opinion on the bill remains divided, and Democratic officials are planning to send Obama into the country to persuade wary citizens that it will work for them in the long run.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2010/04/obamas-17-minute-2500-word-res.html

Kathianne
04-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Here is another examples of how in over his head Obama is. He rambles on and on - and never answers the lady's question on being over taxed already

Obama just falls back on his talking points, and shows how lost he is without his teleprompter

Wow, with all that I've got to catch the WaPo's writer's conclusion:

His wandering approach might not matter if Obama weren't being billed as the chief salesman of the health-care overhaul. Public opinion on the bill remains divided, and Democratic officials are planning to send Obama into the country to persuade wary citizens that it will work for them in the long run.

It was not evident that he changed any minds at Friday's event. The audience sat politely, but people in the back of the room began to wander off.

Even Obama seemed to recognize that he had gone on too long. He apologized -- in keeping with the spirit of the moment, not once, but twice. "Boy, that was a long answer. I'm sorry," he said, drawing nervous laughter that sounded somewhat like relief as he wrapped up.

But, he said: "I hope I answered your question."

stephanie
04-04-2010, 07:23 AM
The Obama lives up to this sayings.

Baffle them with Bullshit or Bore them to death to take their minds off the question at hand.

If this mans policy "visions" and his comrades in Arms in Congress weren't so dangerous to us and our country, he would be damn laughable.

red states rule
04-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Wow, with all that I've got to catch the WaPo's writer's conclusion:

It is hard to sell anything when you do not have a clue as to what you are selling.

Like every Dem who voted for Obamacare, Pres Obama has no idea what the hell is in the bill he signed into law

BTW, did anyone catch the number uninsured is now up to 50 MILLION?

Like Obama's budget and employment numbers, the number of uninsured is made up as he goes along

Kathianne
04-04-2010, 07:35 AM
It is hard to sell anything when you do not have a clue as to what you are selling.

Like every Dem who voted for Obamacare, Pres Obama has no idea what the hell is in the bill he signed into law

BTW, did anyone catch the number uninsured is now up to 50 MILLION?

Like Obama's budget and employment numbers, the number of uninsured is made up as he goes along

The number that is rising, but they are not talking about? The homeless.

red states rule
04-04-2010, 07:37 AM
The number that is rising, but they are not talking about? The homeless.

Maybe he is including all the illegals he plans to grant amnesty to in his immigration "reform" bill

Given the polls, Obama knows the Democrat party needs more votes in the Novemeber election - so lets get them citizanship and get them registered

The homeless went to the same place as all those antiwar protesters went

SassyLady
04-04-2010, 02:02 PM
He doesn't know what's in it because it was written by the Apollo Alliance. Here's their Board:

Chairman

Phil Angelides, President, Riverview Capital Investments (who screwed up CA)

Members

Frances Beinecke, President, Natural Resources Defense Council

Robert Borosage, President, Institute for America’s Future

Phaedra Ellis-Lamkins, Chief Executive Officer, Green For All

Leo Gerard, International President, United Steelworkers Union

Gerald Hudson, International Executive Vice President, Service Employees International Union

Mindy Lubber, President, CERES

Nancy McFadden, Senior Vice President of Public Affairs for PG&E Corporation

Terence M. O’Sullivan, General President, Laborers’ International Union of North America

Ellen Pao, Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers

Michael Peck, Principal, MAPA Incorporated

John Podesta, President and CEO of the Center for American Progress

Carl Pope, Executive Director, Sierra Club

Dan W. Reicher, Director of Climate Change and Energy Initiatives, Google

Jerome Ringo, Senior Executive for Global Strategies, Green Port

Joel Rogers, Director, Center on Wisconsin Strategy

If this doesn't concern you then you are beyond caring.

red states rule
04-04-2010, 02:39 PM
He doesn't know what's in it because it was written by the Apollo Alliance. Here's their Board:

If this doesn't concern you then you are beyond caring.

If you are concerned, the Obama supporters would call you a racist

But the again, liberals are void of common sense - or they would not be liberals

SassyLady
04-04-2010, 06:27 PM
If you are concerned, the Obama supporters would call you a racist

But the again, liberals are void of common sense - or they would not be liberals

:eek:

I'm perfectly OK with being called a racist - I decided a long time ago that I would not buy into the liberal "shame machine" and drink their PC coolaid.

red states rule
04-05-2010, 04:07 AM

I'm perfectly OK with being called a racist - I decided a long time ago that I would not buy into the liberal "shame machine" and drink their PC coolaid.

I were my Reagan consevatism on my sleeve, and I have seen liberal ove and tolerance up close as well

These days when I pull up next to a car with an Obama bumber sticker on their car, I ask them how that hope and change is going for them

Their response in usually not very civil :laugh2:

Kathianne
04-05-2010, 08:10 AM

Kind of puts Klein's 'gifted' column from 2008 into perspective:

http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein_archive?month=01&year=2008&base_name=obamas_gift

OBAMA'S GIFT.

I've been blessed to hear many great orations. I was in the audience when Howard Dean gave his famous address challenging the Democratic Party to rediscover courage and return to principle. I have heard Bill Clinton speak of a place called Hope, and listened to John Edwards bravely channel the populism that American politics so often suppresses. Some of those politicians mirrored my beliefs better than Obama does. Some of their speeches were more declarative and immediate in their passion. But none achieve quite what Obama, at his best, creates. Yep, he creates his 'new truth'.

Obama's finest speeches do not excite. They do not inform. They don't even really inspire. They elevate. They enmesh you in a grander moment, as if history has stopped flowing passively by, and, just for an instant, contracted around you, made you aware of its presence, and your role in it. He is not the Word made flesh, but the triumph of word over flesh, over color, over despair. This is your 'god' moment.The other great leaders I've heard guide us towards a better politics, but Obama is, at his best, able to call us back to our highest selves, to the place where America exists as a glittering ideal, and where we, its honored inhabitants, seem capable of achieving it, and thus of sharing in its meaning and transcendence...

HogTrash
04-05-2010, 01:41 PM

I'm perfectly OK with being called a racist - I decided a long time ago that I would not buy into the liberal "shame machine" and drink their PC coolaid.The problem is Princess, when we are trying to make a point and fail to adhere to the restrictions of political correctness, our messege gets lost in the accusations of racism that always follows, which is exactly what the inventors of PC intended.

The left's strategy has always been to silence the opposition by whatever means necessary...Shouting down their enemies to drown out their messege is popular in the universities as we witnessed at Columbia when the Minutemen were speaking there.

The left's ideology has no rational basis and does not hold up under the scrutiny of discussion, so to prevent the necessity of arguing a losing point of view, they will silence their adversaries by disrupting the debate and accusations of hate and racism by the rules of PC.

The biggest misconception is that only liberals practice political correctness, but we have all been influenced by PC in our lifetimes and it is impossible for it not to have affected each and everyone of us to some degree...Nothing angers a conservative worse than being accused of practicing PC.

SassyLady
04-05-2010, 03:12 PM
The problem is Princess, when we are trying to make a point and fail to adhere to the restrictions of political correctness, our messege gets lost in the accusations of racism that always follows, which is exactly what the inventors of PC intended.

The left's strategy has always been to silence the opposition by whatever means necessary...Shouting down their enemies to drown out their messege is popular in the universities as we witnessed at Columbia when the Minutemen were speaking there.

The left's ideology has no rational basis and does not hold up under the scrutiny of discussion, so to prevent the necessity of arguing a losing point of view, they will silence their adversaries by disrupting the debate and accusations of hate and racism by the rules of PC.

The biggest misconception is that only liberals practice political correctness, but we have all been influenced by PC in our lifetimes and it is impossible for it not to have affected each and everyone of us to some degree...Nothing angers a conservative worse than being accused of practicing PC.

As I've mentioned before HT, not all PC is harmful....in fact, a lot of it is beneficial.....so I'll tell you the same thing I tell people who call me a racist .... I'm OK with being called a practioner of PC and/or a racist. As long as I feel I am speaking MY truth, I could care less the names that people want to attach to me.

See, that is the problem....people use names/labels in an attempt to shut down opposing beliefs.......and, for the most part, it works. However, when someone wants to label me a racist .... and I agree, then we can get past the name calling and labeling and then discuss the real issues.

So, I don't usually start out a conversation with labeling someone a PCer or Racist .... I usually try to stick to the issue or topic of debate .... not their label.

HogTrash
04-05-2010, 03:29 PM
As I've mentioned before HT, not all PC is harmful....in fact, a lot of it is beneficial.....so I'll tell you the same thing I tell people who call me a racist .... I'm OK with being called a practioner of PC and/or a racist. As long as I feel I am speaking MY truth, I could care less the names that people want to attach to me.

See, that is the problem....people use names/labels in an attempt to shut down opposing beliefs.......and, for the most part, it works. However, when someone wants to label me a racist .... and I agree, then we can get past the name calling and labeling and then discuss the real issues.

So, I don't usually start out a conversation with labeling someone a PCer or Racist .... I usually try to stick to the issue or topic of debate .... not their label.I'm sorry Princess, but I'm having trouble concentrating. :uhoh:

Your legs are driving me ga-ga and my foot/shoe fetish isn't helping the situation much. :hitit:

SassyLady
04-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm sorry Princess, but I'm having trouble concentrating. :uhoh:

Your legs are driving me ga-ga and my foot/shoe fetish isn't helping the situation much. :hitit:

I'm glad you like.........how do you think I keep hubby in line? Sometimes I wear shoes with little feathers on them to tickle his nose. :coffee:

HogTrash
04-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I'm glad you like.........how do you think I keep hubby in line? Sometimes I wear shoes with little feathers on them to tickle his nose. :coffee:I hate your husband. :p

darin
04-05-2010, 03:49 PM
/me wonders why Mrskurtsprincess has my legs as her avatar....

:p

SassyLady
04-05-2010, 03:51 PM
/me wonders why Mrskurtsprincess has my legs as her avatar....

:p

Wow .... DMP, I didn't know you waxed your legs or even had a pair of red spiked heels!! Niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.................:coffee:

SassyLady
04-05-2010, 03:53 PM
I hate your husband. :p

:laugh2::laugh2:

red states rule
04-06-2010, 03:45 AM
Kind of puts Klein's 'gifted' column from 2008 into perspective:

http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/ezraklein_archive?month=01&year=2008&base_name=obamas_gift

I am happy to see a large, and vocal grassroots movement starting to take shape.

Despite all the attacks, all the negative press coverage, and the dismissive attitudes on the left - these people seem to shake it off and become more determined NOT to sit down and shut up

The more informed they become the better it will be for the country in November