PDA

View Full Version : More taxes coming

CSM
04-07-2010, 07:49 AM
This will be very interesting, to say the least:

Obama Administration Eyes New Taxes, Fees for National Broadband Network

FOXNews.com

A massive national broadband plan the Federal Communications Commission released last month proposes creating a national framework for the taxation of digital goods and services and imposing a fee to establish and maintain a national public safety wireless broadband network.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/06/obama-administration-targets-internet-taxation/

Soon there will be no single aspect of human activity that is not taxed by the government.

cat slave
04-08-2010, 03:02 PM
And when do we stand up and say no! No more.

pete311
04-08-2010, 03:55 PM
the US has some of the lowest taxes for a post industrial nation. you want lower taxes, move to mexico

Kathianne
04-08-2010, 04:17 PM
the US has some of the lowest taxes for a post industrial nation. you want lower taxes, move to mexico

That wasn't true in 2005 and less true today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Income_Taxes_By_Country.svg

pete311
04-08-2010, 04:24 PM
That wasn't true in 2005 and less true today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Income_Taxes_By_Country.svg

that looks pretty low to me, how are you reading that? even corporate isn't terrible.

Kathianne
04-08-2010, 05:34 PM
that looks pretty low to me, how are you reading that? even corporate isn't terrible.

Not if one is for limited government, which most Americans are. Think not? Take a look at polling results on approval of President and Congress that were elected by significant majority of the electorate. Why? It's not what it was sold as.

With the push for 'big government,' the next go round may well see the sails more than trimmed.

pete311
04-08-2010, 05:45 PM
I am by no means an expert on politics or taxes, however it seems that taxes haven't been too noticeably different for many many years. If you think that the position of US in that chart is outrageous, then you must have been outraged for the past couple decades and you will continue to be so. If you think mccain would have magically decreased taxes to any noticeable level I think you are mistaken. Although our taxes have gone up a bit over the years I still enjoy the same standard of living.

I think our efforts of lowering taxes is generally misplaced. You can't just lower taxes, that makes zero sense. In order to lower taxes you must reform in the way of improving efficiency and removing waste. Also I think the argument should be put on making sure our taxes are spent on meaningful and productive projects. I think very few of us object to the gov taking our money and using it for a truly positive project or cause.

HogTrash
04-08-2010, 06:07 PM
the US has some of the lowest taxes for a post industrial nation. you want lower taxes, move to mexicoYou're a big Obama fan, aren't you?

Are you getting everything you expected?

Trigg
04-08-2010, 06:14 PM
I am by no means an expert on politics or taxes, however it seems that taxes haven't been too noticeably different for many many years. If you think that the position of US in that chart is outrageous, then you must have been outraged for the past couple decades and you will continue to be so. If you think McCain would have magically decreased taxes to any noticeable level I think you are mistaken. Although our taxes have gone up a bit over the years I still enjoy the same standard of living.

I think our efforts of lowering taxes is generally misplaced. You can't just lower taxes, that makes zero sense. In order to lower taxes you must reform in the way of improving efficiency and removing waste. Also I think the argument should be put on making sure our taxes are spent on meaningful and productive projects. I think very few of us object to the gov taking our money and using it for a truly positive project or cause.

I agree that McCain probably wouldn't have decreased taxes. That is why Romney was my choice, McCain is just another career politician with no real world experience.

Taxes can and should be lowered. Closing loopholes and trimming entitlement programs should start immediately.

The problem is that anytime the government touches anything the waste goes through the roof. They can't be trusted to use our money, they're like a shopaholic with a credit card.

When you have this going on the entitlements have gotten way out of hand.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36226444/ns/business-personal_finance/

About 47 percent will pay no federal income taxes at all for 2009. Either their incomes were too low, or they qualified for enough credits, deductions and exemptions to eliminate their liability

In recent years, credits for low- and middle-income families have grown so much that a family of four making as much as $50,000 will owe no federal income tax for 2009, as long as there are two children younger than 17, according to a separate analysis by the consulting firm Deloitte Tax.

pete311
04-08-2010, 06:15 PM
You're a big Obama fan, aren't you?

Are you getting everything you expected?

Sure I voted for him, but he was the least of two evils. McCain was looking quite shaky and Palin is monumentally ill prepared for her position. You should know I also voted for Bush for the same reason compared to Kerry. I have no delusion of politics. I mainly voted for Obama for him to improve our foreign relations. As for his domestic policies I have yet to decide. Mostly I think he is focuses on the wrong issues in health care.

pete311
04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
When you have this going on the entitlements have gotten way out of hand.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36226444/ns/business-personal_finance/

I'm confused, isn't that a good thing in your eyes? 47% are not paying taxes? Isn't that what you want? Half america is paying 0% income tax? No good? I also hate that the gov gives deductions for having kids. This is why the ghettos are filled with abused babies.

Trigg
04-08-2010, 06:30 PM
I'm confused, isn't that a good thing in your eyes? 47% are not paying taxes? Isn't that what you want? Half america is paying 0% income tax? No good? I also hate that the gov gives deductions for having kids. This is why the ghettos are filled with abused babies.

Why on earth would I think that half of the people not paying taxes is a good thing?????????

If everyone pays their fair share, taxes go down. Unfortunately people know how to work the system. They're dependent on the gov. and they know exactly how much they can make and still not have to pay taxes or loose their "free money". They have no incentive to ever get off the gov. tit.

The ghettos are filled with babies because people on assistance are paid more, the more babies they have. They are also paid more for being single parents. The government, in trying to help, made the problem of single parenthood worse.

Kathianne
04-08-2010, 06:36 PM
I am by no means an expert on politics or taxes, however it seems that taxes haven't been too noticeably different for many many years. If you think that the position of US in that chart is outrageous, then you must have been outraged for the past couple decades and you will continue to be so. If you think mccain would have magically decreased taxes to any noticeable level I think you are mistaken. Although our taxes have gone up a bit over the years I still enjoy the same standard of living.

Well our local sales tax has gone from 6.25% to 8.90% in the past year. It's now applied to all sales, food included. Our state income tax (http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/ind_inc.pdf) has risen and they are trying to raise it by 50% for next year, which would put us from 3% to 4.5%. Property taxes rose also. Salary was frozen. Tuition for universities has risen over 15% in past 2 years, (state schools.) Yeah, taxes are not just FICA.

pete311
04-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Why on earth would I think that half of the people not paying taxes is a good thing?????????

If everyone pays their fair share, taxes go down. Unfortunately people know how to work the system

I guess I was slightly messing with you because you are for lower taxes. What is your interpretation of "fair share". No doubt the tax system needs a complete overhaul. Just no politician is willing to risk their seat to try something different.

pete311
04-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Well our local sales tax has gone from 6.25% to 8.90% in the past year. It's now applied to all sales, food included. Our state income tax (http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/ind_inc.pdf) has risen and they are trying to raise it by 50% for next year, which would put us from 3% to 4.5%. Property taxes rose also. Salary was frozen. Tuition for universities has risen over 15% in past 2 years, (state schools.) Yeah, taxes are not just FICA.

I would say move! Do you like in Cali? I live in a large midwest city. My sales tax is about 5.5% and my property tax has actually decreased. Perhaps that is due to my property value also decreasing :(

Kathianne
04-08-2010, 06:47 PM
I would say move! Do you like in Cali? I live in a large midwest city. My sales tax is about 5.5% and my property tax has actually decreased. Perhaps that is due to my property value also decreasing :(

Wonderful Illinois! We have more governors in jail, paroled, or waiting for jail then we do former governors alive, without charges.

Jeff
04-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Wonderful Illinois! We have more governors in jail, paroled, or waiting for jail then we do former governors alive, without charges.

And y'all let a politician slip threw and make his way to the White House, the worst crook of them all

Monkeybone
04-09-2010, 10:59 AM
probably since it sounds like you live in Ohio. or maybe Nebraska...

Trigg
04-09-2010, 05:40 PM
I guess I was slightly messing with you because you are for lower taxes. What is your interpretation of "fair share". No doubt the tax system needs a complete overhaul. Just no politician is willing to risk their seat to try something different.

What I am for is the government to stop spending money like drunken sailors, oversight of their spending, and NO MORE BAILOUTS.

I am for people WORKING and improving their situation instead of expecting the government to take care of them.

Also, in case you think I started feeling this way when bambam took office, I was AGAINST the Bush bailouts and stimulus payments that were made.

I am STRONGLY in favor of a flat tax.

namvet
04-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Sure I voted for him, but he was the least of two evils. McCain was looking quite shaky and Palin is monumentally ill prepared for her position. You should know I also voted for Bush for the same reason compared to Kerry. I have no delusion of politics. I mainly voted for Obama for him to improve our foreign relations. As for his domestic policies I have yet to decide. Mostly I think he is focuses on the wrong issues in health care.

Osama is more than shaky. he's frightning. and biden. 2 brain Aneurysm's. nice call kid

SassyLady
04-09-2010, 08:15 PM
I think our efforts of lowering taxes is generally misplaced. You can't just lower taxes, that makes zero sense. In order to lower taxes you must reform in the way of improving efficiency and removing waste.

I disagree - if we lower taxes and the money is not available, the system will be forced to self correct and more efficiencies will surface.

Also I think the argument should be put on making sure our taxes are spent on meaningful and productive projects. I think very few of us object to the gov taking our money and using it for a truly positive project or cause.

The problem is that those taking the money are the decision makers about what they feel is a "truly positive project or cause" and not the people who are actually giving up the money.