PDA

View Full Version : Obama admin proposes new National Sales Tax

Little-Acorn
04-07-2010, 07:12 PM
You knew that tax increases were coming, in the wake of huge spending increases, staggering debt, and now a Socialized Medicine program that will probably add even more trillions to that debt.

Sure, Obama repeated over and over, that there wouldn't be any tax increases on most people.

And you believed that???

BTW, the European countries the leftsts are modelling this new Value-Added-Tax after, have VAT rates anywhere from 17% to 30%.

Coming soon to a country near YOU?

That's what "change" looks like.

---------------------------------------

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/07/obama-economic-adviser-says-consider-value-added-tax/?test=latestnews

Obama Economic Adviser Says U.S. Should Consider 'Value-Added Tax'

NYPost.com
Updated April 07, 2010

A value-added tax is a national sales tax that, like state and city sales taxes, would be collected by retailers.

Acknowledging it would be a highly unpopular move, White House economic adviser Paul Volcker said Tuesday the United States should consider imposing a "value-added tax" similar to those charged in Europe to help get the deficit under control.

A value-added tax is a national sales tax that, like state and city sales taxes, would be collected by retailers.

Volcker, a former Federal Reserve chairman, told a New York panel on the global financial crisis that such a tax is "not as toxic an idea as it has been in the past."

"If, at the end of the day, we need to raise taxes, we should raise taxes," he said.

He also said that Congress might also have to consider new taxes on carbon and energy.

A White House official asked for comment, said, "The president has passed historic tax cuts for middle-class families and continues to push for more tax cuts. The president is not proposing to cut the deficit at the expense of middle-class families."

The value-added tax suggestion was immediately met with outrage by Republicans.

"It shouldn't surprise anyone that the Obama White House would advocate a European-style tax to help finance their European-style government health-care plan," said Brian Walsh, a spokesman for the National Republican Senatorial Campaign Committee.

Trigg
04-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Plenty on here believed that line, I could name names, but they know who they are.

The rich aren't going to be able to absorb the extra cost of the health care, bailouts, cash for clunkers, cash for houses and all the other numerous government "fixes".

It might not come out of most people's weekly check, but the gov. will get it in added taxes from everyone.

Meanwhile gas continues to go up to almost $3 a gallon here. If it hits $4 we will stop seeing any signs that the recession is getting better.

Monkeybone
04-08-2010, 06:39 AM
but don't most of the countries that have a VAT, not have income tax? that is at least what I thought.

not that our Gov will but that out... if wishes were fishes

Gaffer
04-08-2010, 07:55 AM
It allows him to sorta keep that promise that most people won't see an increase in their income tax. He just never mentioned sales taxes on everyone.

HogTrash
04-08-2010, 08:06 AM
I'm sure the new sales tax will only apply to those who earn more than $250,000 a year..........Right?
:poop:

Monkeybone
04-08-2010, 08:49 AM
It allows him to sorta keep that promise that most people won't see an increase in their income tax. He just never mentioned sales taxes on everyone.That is what i was thinking back when he was promising that. That he will just tax everything else that will be passed onto the consumer, but not an actual "tax".

I'm sure the new sales tax will only apply to those who earn more than $250,000 a year..........Right?
:poop: of course.... we can't afford anything anymore, but those big earners can.