PDA

View Full Version : McCaskill (D) Missouri

namvet
04-09-2010, 10:57 AM
well look what i got in my inbox yesterday:

April 8, 2010Dear Friend,

Thank you for contacting me regarding health insurance reform. I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to discuss how reform will affect you and your family.

Our nation is facing a healthcare crisis. The burgeoning cost of medical care is bankrupting families, financially endangering employers, and causing our national deficit to balloon. Nearly 750,000 Missourians do not have health insurance and in the past eight years, health insurance premiums have grown four times faster than wages. The status quo is unsustainable and jeopardizes the health of our citizens and our economy.

On November 18, 2009, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (H.R. 3590) was introduced in the Senate. After over a month of debate on the Senate floor, I joined my colleagues in voting for the measure which passed by a supermajority vote of 60 to 39 on December 24, 2009. The House of Representatives followed suit on March 21st of this year and the bill was then signed into law by the President. A second bill, The Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 (H.R. 4872), which amended H.R. 3590 by removing certain provisions including special deals like the "Cornhusker Kickback", was signed into law on March 30, 2010. I supported these two bills because over years they will stabilize healthcare costs for families, allow hundreds of thousands of Missourians to access health insurance, stop private insurance abuses, and significantly reduce the deficit over the long term.

While the crafting of H.R. 3590 took place over the course of nearly a year and involved two Senate committees and hundreds of hours of televised debate both in committees and on the full Senate floor, this was really only the latest act in an effort to reform healthcare in our country that has included our own Harry Truman. In 1945, in a statement that is as true today is it was then, he stated "Millions of our citizens do not now have a full measure of opportunity to achieve and to enjoy good health. Millions do not now have protection or security against the economic effects of sickness. And the time has now arrived for action to help them attain that opportunity and to help them get that protection."

In the process of trying to realize Truman's vision of opportunity, this legislation was drafted in a way that incorporated ideas from both sides of the aisle and resulted in a bill that protects patients in a comprehensive fashion while providing access and choice. Given the complexity of the healthcare system and the improvement brought about by this bill, I want to take this opportunity to explain some of what this legislation will do for Missourians, as well as set the record straight about what is not in these bills.

Missourians will see some positive changes immediately. Small businesses that are currently paying for their employees' health insurance will get immediate relief with tax credits of up to 35% of the employer contribution toward insurance premiums. Starting this year no child will be denied coverage because of preexisting conditions and all children can stay on their parents' insurance plan until they turn 27 years old. For seniors facing high drug costs, the Medicare Part D "Doughnut Hole" is shrunk by $500 and seniors who reach the doughnut hole will receive a $250 rebate check. The financial burden borne by seniors in the doughnut hole will be further reduced next year when name brand drugs must be offered at a 50% discount to seniors while they are trapped in this coverage gap. Over the coming years the doughnut hole will eventually disappear. Further, beginning next January, seniors will have no cost for preventive care, like cholesterol screenings and checkups, and women will no longer have to pay more for healthcare just because they are women.

Every year new provisions will continue to phase in, and in a few short years all Americans will be able to shop for insurance on state-based exchanges where the power of competition, pooled risk and transparency will ensure maximum choice and value for anyone buying insurance. Insurers will no longer be able to discriminate against anyone based on preexisting conditions and policies will be affordable for all through premium assistance available for those with limited means. Small businesses will likewise be able to partake in exchanges, allowing them to leverage group purchasing power that previously was unavailable to them due to their small size. Through the competition and high standards set by these exchanges everyone will have access to the kinds of choices of private insurance plans that were once only reserved for federal employees and members of Congress. In fact, these new laws require that all members of Congress and their staffs purchase their insurance on these exchanges.

I've highlighted a few of the new benefits brought by these laws, but I think it is important to be clear about what is not changed by these laws. These laws do not represent a government takeover of healthcare. There is no new government-run insurance and this law does not change the fundamental relationship between the patient and his or her healthcare providers. In fact, the majority of Missourians will continue to get coverage from their employer just like they do now. What this law does do is provide common-sense regulations for the behavior of insurance companies regarding preventive care, cancellations, preexisting conditions and requirements on how much insurance companies can spend on non-treatment areas like marketing, profit dividends, and hiring people to figure out how to deny coverage. And this law defers to the states the power to set up the exchanges and other health-related programs.

These laws also do not change the long-standing prohibition of using taxpayer money to fund elective abortions. Individuals who purchase private insurance plans which include abortion coverage will have to write a separate check that goes into a separate account. No federal funds can go into this account and payments for elective abortions must come out of this account and no other account, ensuring complete separation of funds. Every exchange will have plans that do not cover elective abortions, ensuring that no one will be forced to buy a policy covering abortion. These bills were endorsed by religious and lay pro-life groups, with NETWORK, an organization of Catholic nuns, calling the legislation "life-affirming" and the Catholic Health Association, the group which represents Catholic hospitals, likewise encouraging passage of this legislation. It is important to note that these new laws defer to states if they have existing laws regarding insurance coverage of abortions. Missouri already has existing laws regulating the coverage of abortion by insurance policies and therefore Missouri's state law will control and supersede national law with regard to abortion coverage.

Contrary to reports otherwise, these laws do not remove any of the Medicare coverage guaranteed to seniors. This package removes waste and unnecessary subsidies to insurance companies and has been endorsed by AARP, a group representing the interests of seniors. Lastly, under these new laws, illegal immigrants will not be able to access any of the benefits offered even if they try to pay for it themselves.

The path leading to healthcare reform has been a long and often bumpy one. Over the past year I've heard from thousands of constituents with passionate views on all sides of the issue. From the town halls I held across Missouri last August to the phone calls, letters, and visitors to my office, I have heard arguments both for and against reforming our healthcare system; many wanted to do nothing and others wanted to go much further to a single payer government run system. In the end it is clear to me that doing nothing was simply not an option. Healthcare costs account for nearly one quarter of the federal budget and are one of the major contributors to our national debt. This package of laws is not only completely paid for, it is also projected to reduce our federal deficit by a trillion dollars over the next twenty years. It may have been easier to kick the can down the road, letting someone else tackle this tough issue, but the voters of Missouri sent me here to deal with the tough issues. The laws passed this year are not perfect, but they mark a step forward in reforming a healthcare system that all agree has problems.

I know that there are many questions about the details of the changes that will occur over the next several years. I urge you to learn more about the changes brought about through reform by visiting a non-partisan website like the one sponsored by the Kaiser Family Foundation (http://www.kff.org/). I believe the more you learn about this legislation, which, because of the nature of our healthcare system, had to be very complex, the more you will be pleased and comfortable that we have made important improvements that will have a positive impact on you and your family.
Again, thank you for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of further assistance to you on this or any other issue.

Sincerely,

Claire McCaskill
United States Senator

P.S. If you would like more information about resources that can help Missourians, or what I am doing in the Senate on your behalf, please sign up for my email newsletter at www.mccaskill.senate.gov.

She's lying...health care costs will go up and it will be rationed, because there won't be any doctors. Premiums will go up in cost, then there will be the VAT, the energy taxes will go up, the Bush tax cuts will expire, and anyone who works will be paying income taxes and those who don't work will not pay any.

don't worry be happy ????