PDA

View Full Version : Amid cuts, Ohio judge tells citizens to carry guns

chloe
04-09-2010, 10:16 PM
CLEVELAND (AP) -

One judge's solution for citizens feeling less secure because of budget cuts in an Ohio county: Carry a gun.

Judge Alfred Mackey of Ashtabula County Common Pleas Court advised residents Friday to be vigilant and arm themselves because the number of deputies has been cut about in half because of a tight budget. He also urged neighbors to organize anti-crime block watch groups.

"They have to be law-abiding, and if they are not familiar with firearms they need to take a safety course so they are not a threat to their family and friends and themselves," Mackey said Friday.

Mackey, whose comments were first broadcast Thursday by WKYC-TV in Cleveland, was expressing concerns with budget cuts that have trimmed the sheriff's department from 112 to 49 deputies in the county, which is Ohio's largest by land area.

Asked by WKYC how people should respond to the cuts and limited patrols, he said, "Arm themselves. Be very careful and just be vigilant because we're going to have to look after each other."

Andrew Pollis, who teaches law at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, saw the original TV clip of Mackey and said it was clear the judge wasn't advocating vigilantism.

Still, Pollis said, snippets of the comments could be misunderstood "as a license, if you will, to engage in conduct which we as a society collectively would not want."

In Akron, Summit County Common Pleas Judge Patricia Cosgrove, president-elect of the Ohio Common Pleas Judges Association, said she was surprised by Mackey's suggestion.

"That's scary to me," she said. "I don't know what the situation in Ashtabula County is. I personally would never _ that's a personal choice in terms of carrying a weapon."

With deputies assigned to transport prisoners and serve warrants, only one radio car is assigned to patrol the county of 720 square miles, excluding municipalities with police departments. The sheriff's patrol area covers most of the county, the judge said Friday.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=157&sid=10324054

It must be dangerous in Ohio:eek:

Joe Steel
04-10-2010, 09:09 AM
This is why we call them Regressives. They want to return to the "state of nature" where everyone is prepared to kill everyone else.

chloe
04-10-2010, 10:09 AM
I always think of Ohio as a Liberal state, I used to live there long ago, but it was such a small town that I lived in I suppose there was no need to carry weapons. It must be alot worse in Ohio nowadays.:cool:

Gaffer
04-10-2010, 10:51 AM
The liberals all live in the city, and when things fall apart they will be the first to feel the pressure. The smaller rural counties are going to feel the first crunch as far as reduced law enforcement goes. Then the larger population areas. ohio has a liberal governor so its doomed to go bankrupt like the rest of the country.

The only reverting that's going on is the people taking care of themselves and getting rid of government.

revelarts
04-10-2010, 11:24 AM
This is why we call them Regressives. They want to return to the "state of nature" where everyone is prepared to kill everyone else.

As apposed to Progressives. Who only want the criminals and the gov't prepared to kill everyone who doesn't obey their every whim- and kill maybe them anyway?

Kathianne
04-10-2010, 11:54 AM
The judge was applying common sense. First the municipalities are going to go belly up, then the counties, then states, last will be central government. Just like Mexico, Argentina, Greece. We are on the same slope.