PDA

View Full Version : Update on Mississippi Lesbian Prom story

Abbey Marie
04-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Kind of an ugly end to the story. :(

A Mississippi high school held a "fake prom" for a lesbian student and her date while most of her classmates celebrated at a secret location, reports say.

The Itawamba County School District initially cancelled the formal event after Constance McMillen requested permission to take her girlfriend to the dance and to wear a tuxedo.

But after an international uproar Itawamba Agricultural High School decided to allow the prom to take place and for Ms McMillen to take her date.

A Mississippi high school held a "fake prom" for a lesbian student and her date while most of her classmates celebrated at a secret location, reports say.

The Itawamba County School District initially cancelled the formal event after Constance McMillen requested permission to take her girlfriend to the dance and to wear a tuxedo.

But after an international uproar Itawamba Agricultural High School decided to allow the prom to take place and for Ms McMillen to take her date.

When the 18-year-old arrived at the prom on Friday night, she discovered that she was just one of seven people attending, with the majority of the students instead attending a dance organised by parents.

"They had two proms and I was only invited to one of them," McMillen told gay magazine The Advocate.

"The one that I went to had seven people there, and everyone went to the other one I wasn’t invited to

Ms McMillen said two of the students attending the prom had learning difficulties and "had the time of their lives".

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/1036531/school-holds-fake-prom-for-lesbian-student

LiberalNation
04-10-2010, 12:59 PM
homophobes are teh gayest. Good luck to her, she's made a mint and brought gay rights back to center stage.

Silver
04-10-2010, 01:35 PM
homophobes are teh gayest. Good luck to her, she's made a mint and brought gay rights back to center stage.

Homosexual rights ? Guess hetrosexual rights have no standing...

Ironic, that your sig talks about conformity..(The opposite of bravery is not cowardice but conformity.)........conformity being the opposite of bravery....
seems thats exactly what you're doing....conforming to the PC crap espoused by the left....conforming....and you're not even aware enough to realize it...you're akin to a coward.

darin
04-10-2010, 01:36 PM
I think beastiality-proponents should ride on the tails of this - get legal, special protection for them and those THEY enjoy having sex with...

LiberalNation
04-10-2010, 01:38 PM
animals can't consent, adult humans can. Does not compare, why are straights so into the animal sex anyway, they always bring it up. hidden fantasies.

Noir
04-10-2010, 01:41 PM
An ugly end indeed =/

Gaffer
04-10-2010, 02:08 PM
Seems a fitting end.

darin
04-10-2010, 02:22 PM
animals can't consent, adult humans can. Does not compare, why are straights so into the animal sex anyway, they always bring it up. hidden fantasies.

Of course they can. They were BORN to consent. You never had a dog, did ya?

Sure there's no EVIDENCE Dogs have consented...but there's no evidence for a LOT of things protected under the law. You are an Animalphobe...your hate-speech is horrible! People cant help who they LOVE!!

LiberalNation
04-10-2010, 02:31 PM
that's like saying an underage kid can consent just cuz he gets a hard on.

Abbey Marie
04-10-2010, 03:34 PM
I think beastiality-proponents should ride on the tails of this - get legal, special protection for them and those THEY enjoy having sex with...

It is an Agricultural High School. I'm just saying. :eek:

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm sorry, I don't see anything ugly about it at all. They could have went as a couple and just shut their traps, but instead wanted to make a spectacle with cross dressing and it backfired. This is what I always say about the queers, why can't they just be happy with being together? Why does one or both have to act and/or dress like fruitcakes?

Ms McMillen said two of the students attending the prom had learning difficulties and "had the time of their lives

See, the queers enjoyed themselves!

Noir
04-10-2010, 03:38 PM
They could have went as a couple and just shut their traps

Wrong.
Look back at the last thread, the school was not even going to let them arrive at the same time, and if anyone else asked for them to leave then they would of had to.

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Wrong.
Look back at the last thread, the school was not even going to leg them arrive at the same time, and if anyone else asked for them to leave then they would of had to.

No, the girls wanted one of them to dress in a tuxedo, YOU try reading the thread.

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Wrong.
Look back at the last thread, the school was not even going to leg them arrive at the same time, and if anyone else asked for them to leave then they would of had to.

From the very first sentence in the last thread from the original article:

JACKSON, Miss. – A northern Mississippi school district decided Wednesday not to host a high school prom after a lesbian student demanded she be able to attend with her girlfriend and wear a tuxedo.

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 04:00 PM
What's wrong, Noir, time to edit your post but not enough time to admit you were wrong about my statement?

They could have NOT demanded to wear a tuxedo, went as 2 GIRLS, kept their traps shut and all would have been fine. Everything that transpired was a result of THEM making demands of the school to conform to THEIR desires. They got exactly what they deserved, to go to a prom with the other misfits.

Noir
04-10-2010, 04:18 PM
What's wrong, Noir, time to edit your post but not enough time to admit you were wrong about my statement?

They could have NOT demanded to wear a tuxedo, went as 2 GIRLS, kept their traps shut and all would have been fine. Everything that transpired was a result of THEM making demands of the school to conform to THEIR desires. They got exactly what they deserved, to go to a prom with the other misfits.

The only thing I edited was a typeo (the word leg for the word let.) Though not quick enough to do so before you had already quoted it.
You will also notice in that thread I said they should of both wore dresses, however other demands by the school (like they were not allowed to arrive together, and must be asked to leave if anyone at the party wants them to) were not acceptable imo. The fact that the school have gone on to make a fake prom, and thus remove several people from the prom (not just the two lesbians)

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 04:22 PM
The only thing I edited was a typeo (the word leg for the word let.) Though not quick enough to do so before you had already quoted it.
You will also notice in that thread I said they should of both wore dresses, however other demands by the school (like they were not allowed to arrive together, and must be asked to leave if anyone at the party wants them to) were not acceptable imo. The fact that the school have gone on to make a fake prom, and thus remove several people from the prom (not just the two lesbians)

The school didn't take their stance until the students approached them and made DEMANDS. If they acted like normal people and didn't want to be "different", it never would have come to this. Why couldn't they just have dressed normally, kept their mouths shut, and went to the party unannounced like everyone else? But no, they wanted to be a spectacle and instead they became outcast. Too bad for them and good for the other kids taking things into their own hands to have the prom they wanted all along.

crin63
04-10-2010, 06:01 PM
Seems a fitting end.

I have to agree, however its just wrong that the students with learning disabilities were subjected to that vulgar display. The other kids should be ashamed of themselves for not telling the disabled kids where the other dance was so they could be with the normal students.

pete311
04-10-2010, 06:20 PM
No, the girls wanted one of them to dress in a tuxedo, YOU try reading the thread.

There nothing in the natural world (or our made up societal rules)that dictates how females and males should dress. Fashion and clothing is purely a human convention. A girl wearing a tuxedo is not inherently immoral. Women often wear suits in the workplace now. A tux is not that far off.

to go to a prom with the other misfits.
people with learning disabilities are misfits? harsh

Strange how you equate a "requested permission" with "DEMAND". awesome

Also there is no such thing as normal. People are just as diverse as their fashion.

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 06:54 PM
There nothing in the natural world (or our made up societal rules)that dictates how females and males should dress. Fashion and clothing is purely a human convention. A girl wearing a tuxedo is not inherently immoral. Women often wear suits in the workplace now. A tux is not that far off.

Try living in the real world. Schools and places of employment dictate what we can wear every day.

people with learning disabilities are misfits? harsh

2 had learning disabilities, dumbass, the rest did not. And as far as those with disabilities, like the dumbass lesbos as well, I think them not attending the prom with the other students as per the following definition is correct.

"a person who is not suited or is unable to adjust to the circumstances of his or her particular situation"

Strange how you equate a "requested permission" with "DEMAND". awesome

Strange how if you followed the story from the beginning AND read my prior quote, she DID in fact DEMAND to allow her partner to wear a tuxedo. Awesome, when you actually read instead of tossing out useless comments.

Also there is no such thing as normal. People are just as diverse as their fashion.

That's your opinion, us normal people think otherwise, as do the normal people who attended the real prom. Those who think like you attended a prom of 7.

SassyLady
04-10-2010, 07:03 PM
I think the fact that the majority of the kids attended the other prom without the lesbian couple states what the majority feels is appropriate for their community.

Communities are beginning to take back control of their morals and values --- just as the Amish have for centuries. They only let those who live by their rules live in their communities.

pete311
04-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Try living in the real world. Schools and places of employment dictate what we can wear every day.

I'd be interested to see what the school's dress code is. Anyone have a link?

2 had learning disabilities, dumbass, the rest did not.

Makes no difference, you still grouped them in with your statement. The term holds a negative connotation in our culture.

Strange how if you followed the story from the beginning AND read my prior quote, she DID in fact DEMAND to allow her partner to wear a tuxedo. Awesome, when you actually read instead of tossing out useless comments.

Can you show me a link, I can't find it in any news stories.

That's your opinion, us normal people think otherwise, as do the normal people who attended the real prom. Those who think like you attended a prom of 7.

Congrats on your egocentric self righteous tunnel vision. From my experiences and public opinions, your views are not normal. The vast majority are outraged at this story.

pete311
04-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Communities are beginning to take back control of their morals and values --- just as the Amish have for centuries. They only let those who live by their rules live in their communities.

Ah yes the wonderful amish. They only have a reputation for abuse and at least where I live they are responsible for most of the puppy mills.

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 07:18 PM
I'd be interested to see what the school's dress code is. Anyone have a link?

I don't think schools generally publicize their dress code. You probably won't get specifics unless you were a student there. But I can assure you that they have the right to modify the dress code as they see fit.

Makes no difference, you still grouped them in with your statement. The term holds a negative connotation in our culture.

Only to the ignorant that don't realize words have multiple meanings. Sorry you fit into the ignorant group.

Can you show me a link, I can't find it in any news stories.

Most of the article is quoted in the original thread:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=26857

Congrats on your egocentric self righteous tunnel vision. From my experiences and public opinions, your views are not normal. The vast majority are outraged at this story.

Now, ask me if I give a flying fuck? And if the majority are in agreement with your views, then why did the rest of the students, with the aid of parents, have an alternate prom and hide it from the queers? Get out in the real world, people are getting sick of the queers and their demands. Look up how many states have shot down queer marriage and/or made amendments to block them. Compare that to how many states now allow the queers to marriage. Seems to me like public opinion is more on my side!

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Ah yes the wonderful amish. They only have a reputation for abuse and at least where I live they are responsible for most of the puppy mills.

I like how you cut out and ignore the prior portion of her comment. Too difficult to debate the facts?

Noir
04-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Wow, stall the ball mate, I missed this the first time round...

They got exactly what they deserved, to go to a prom with the other misfits.

You are calling people with mental illnesses misfits?
What exactly do you say to anyone who suffers from a mental illness? heck, I'm dislexic, which is a very slight learning disability, guess I'm a misfit too? (or maybe just a bit of a misfit, yeah?)
Not to mention people that suffer countless other mental illnesses...depression, bi-polar, paranoia ect, are they all misfits too?

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 07:22 PM
Wow, stall the ball mate, I missed this the first time round...

You are calling people with mental illnesses misfits?
What exactly do you say to anyone who suffers from a mental illness? heck, I'm dislexic, which is a very slight learning disability, guess I'm a misfit too? (or maybe just a bit of a misfit, yeah?)
Not to mention people that suffer countless other mental illnesses...depression, bi-polar, paranoia ect, are they all misfits too?

I have bi-polar, dumbass, and I wouldn't be offended in the slightest with the definition. Or did you just respond without even bothering to read the definition I posted?

Don't like definitions that don't conform to your preconceived judgments? Tough shit.

a person who is not suited or is unable to adjust to the circumstances of his or her particular situation: a misfit in one's job.

One who is unable to adjust to one's environment or circumstances or is considered to be disturbingly different from others.

Noir
04-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I have bi-polar, dumbass, and I wouldn't be offended in the slightest with the definition. Or did you just respond without even bothering to read the definition I posted?

Don't like definitions that don't conform to your preconceived judgments? Tough shit.

I thought you may have, though was not sure and thus did not post about it.

And yeah I did read what you posted "disturbingly different" nothing negitive about that at all /sark.

By your own argument looks like if you were their age you'd be at the party of 7, you're a misfit afterall ya?

pete311
04-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Only to the ignorant that don't realize words have multiple meanings. Sorry you fit into the ignorant group.
No one uses the term "Gay" as happy any more. Our lexicon morphs over time.

Now, ask me if I give a flying fuck? Seems to me like public opinion is more on my side!

History shows we are becoming more tolerant. It's only a matter of time. I think you know that and it's why you are angry.

I have bi-polar
Most people don't have bi-polar, guess you are not so normal anymore. Maybe you should have attended the misfit prom too.

I think the fact that the majority of the kids attended the other prom without the lesbian couple states what the majority feels is appropriate for their community.

There are federal discrimination laws, sorry community. You can't do whatever you want.

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 07:32 PM
I thought you may have, though was not sure and thus did not post about it.

And yeah I did read what you posted "disturbingly different" nothing negitive about that at all /sark.

By your own argument looks like if you were their age you'd be at the party of 7, you're a misfit afterall ya?

My disability wouldn't affect me from fitting into the assumed group that would be attending. Those with learning disabilities, in all schools around the country, have their own functions at their own schools and do not port over to the regular HS's to attend their functions.

And I don't care if you like the definition or not. It's 100% accurate in this setting and the term "misfit" is not always an insult. Try breaking it down - MIS - FIT = doesn't fit. If you don't like the facts that learning disabled and queers aren't the norm at HS proms, again, tough shit.

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 07:37 PM
No one uses the term "Gay" as happy any more. Our lexicon morphs over time.

Then write to the thousands of dictionary manufacturers out there as well as English teachers and have it changed to fit your desires.

History shows we are becoming more tolerant. It's only a matter of time. I think you know that and it's why you are angry.

Angry? Nope! Disgusted? Yep. But find it actually hilarious the more I see them shut out.

Most people don't have bi-polar, guess you are not so normal anymore. Maybe you should have attended the misfit prom too.

Never claimed to be, but bi-polar is much different than being queer or attending a totally different school for the learning disabled. And this misfit would run circles around you in any IQ test or any other intelligence test, so I'm quite content with having bi-polar as part of my life and succeeding regardless.

There are federal discrimination laws, sorry community. You can't do whatever you want.

Hate to burst your bubble, but queers are extremely rarely covered as a protected characteristic anywhere. And the parents and children that held a private function would not be held to federal standards - unless of course you need a definition for PRIVATE as well.

Kathianne
04-10-2010, 07:41 PM
I just want to interject that if one wishes to read Shakespeare, Dickens, one better ow what 'gay' meant.

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 07:42 PM
I just want to interject that if one wishes to read Shakespeare, Dickens, one better ow what 'gay' meant.

But, but, but times have changed, so we need to conform to the sensitivities of others and delete definitions so as not to offend the ignorant!

Kathianne
04-10-2010, 07:44 PM
But, but, but times have changed, so we need to conform to the sensitivities of others and delete definitions so as not to offend the ignorant!

Well screw that, F in my classes. ;) Kinder, gentler, ya know.

pete311
04-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Angry? Nope! Disgusted? Yep. But find it actually hilarious the more I see them shut out.
Enjoy it for now, it's just a matter of time.

Never claimed to be, but bi-polar is much different than being queer or attending a totally different school for the learning disabled.

You said "us normal people think otherwise". Different in that bi-polar is a mental illness. Being gay is not categorized as such.

a private function would not be held to federal standards - unless of course you need a definition for PRIVATE as well.
I have a couple lawyers in the family. I will ask them about this because I am pretty sure it is wrong. Just because something is private doesn't mean anything goes. You can murder someone in private and have it be legal. Silly example I know. I shall investigate.

I am arguing that no one uses he word gay as a synonym for happy just like no one uses misfit for someone who is disabled

Kathianne
04-10-2010, 07:57 PM

You said "us normal people think otherwise". Different in that bi-polar is a mental illness. Being gay is not categorized as such.

I have a couple lawyers in the family. I will ask them about this because I am pretty sure it is wrong. Just because something is private doesn't mean anything goes. You can murder someone in private and have it be legal. Silly example I know. I shall investigate.

I am arguing that no one uses he word gay as a synonym for happy just like no one uses misfit for someone who is disabled

Until 20 years ago, lots of folks did. As I alluded, to understand literature, one better know the real definition. Today, nearly every immigrant with a bi-lingual dictionary thinks OMG, gay means happy.

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 07:58 PM

Sure, by the indication of how many states have banned gay marriages, I see the acceptance is very near!

Bipolar IS NOT a mental illness, oh ignorant one, it's classified as a mood disorder.

Investigate till your brains fall out, you cannot force a private entity/party to invite people they don't want. Maybe if it were somehow tied to state funds, but not private. They may have had a chance at forcing the schools hand but they did so too late. Once it became a private function paid for by private parties, the queers were shit outta luck.

Many people still use the word gay. I guess you don't read many books/literature or you would know it's still widely used to mean "happy".

And what exactly do you think "misfit" is referring to then, if not someone who does not fit in to a particular setting? I don't see many alternate definitions and not a one of them at all is listed as derogatory.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/misfit
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/misfit

pete311
04-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Bipolar IS NOT a mental illness, oh ignorant one, it's classified as a mood disorder.

disorder is a synonym for illness. Who is being PC now? Just admit it, you're a freak. Nature fucked you up. I hope people discriminate towards you because you are a faulty human.

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 08:11 PM
disorder is a synonym for illness. Who is being PC now? Just admit it, you're a freak. Nature fucked you up. I hope people discriminate towards you because you are a faulty human.

Ok then, mood illness - I was referring to the fact that it is not classified as "mental". It is written about extensively in the "mental" field but is not a mental disorder but rather a mood disorder, leading to mania and depression. Millions of people lead 100% regular lives with bipolar and some of the smartest and most successful people who have ever lived dealt with bipolar.

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 08:14 PM

Oh, you want to edit your post to add more? LOL

Nature fucked this boy up so much that I would destroy you in any intelligence test and then when completed would knock your teeth out. So discriminate against me for being smarter and stronger than you, I don't give a shit. I've been discriminated against for my tattoos, for when I had long hair, for being a geek in HS... never bothered me at all. Nature made a near perfect specimen in me and likely gave me bipolar so I would have some sort of challenge in life. :laugh2:

pete311
04-10-2010, 08:19 PM
Ok then, mood illness - I was referring to the fact that it is not classified as "mental". It is written about extensively in the "mental" field but is not a mental disorder but rather a mood disorder, leading to mania and depression. Millions of people lead 100% regular lives with bipolar and some of the smartest and most successful people who have ever lived dealt with bipolar.

Jim I don't want to argue over the technicalities of bi polar. I wrote that post as a harsh example so that you might have the capacity to feel some sort of empathy for those two girls who also lead perfectly regular lives.

Your recent post is nothing but a caveman response.

btw, my sister questions whether a public school's prom is really private.

SassyLady
04-10-2010, 08:29 PM

Regardless of their lifestyle, they stick together as a community and if one does not like it they are welcome to leave. That is what living in the US is all about - you can opt out of something if you choose to.

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Jim I don't want to argue over the technicalities of bi polar. I wrote that post as a harsh example so that you might have the capacity to feel some sort of empathy for those two girls who also lead perfectly regular lives.

btw, my sister questions whether a public school's prom is really private.

It wasn't a public schools prom! The school had their own, and many students and parents organized a separate, and private, prom for the other students. If it was held at the public school I would agree with you, but it wasn't. The school initially canceled the prom, then the students organized their own, then the school gave in and held the prom at another school - where only the 7 showed up as the rest all went to the private prom.

jimnyc
04-10-2010, 09:04 PM

Pointing out my faults/issues won't make me have any empathy whatsoever for queers. Sorry. And they don't lead "normal" lives, they are abnormal. And yes, you can classify me as abnormal as well, but at least I'm not smoking a sausage, puffing a peter or playing catcher!

Me caveman. Me still speak truth though. *grunt*

pete311
04-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Pointing out my faults/issues won't make me have any empathy whatsoever for queers. Sorry. And they don't lead "normal" lives, they are abnormal. And yes, you can classify me as abnormal as well, but at least I'm not smoking a sausage, puffing a peter or playing catcher!

Phobia is also a mental disorder. I think we are done here.

jimnyc
04-11-2010, 07:06 AM
Phobia is also a mental disorder. I think we are done here.

Phobia would imply fear. You got it wrong again, I don't fear the queers, I'm just completely disgusted by them and there demands.

pete311
04-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Phobia would imply fear. You got it wrong again, I don't fear the queers, I'm just completely disgusted by them and there demands.

haha if you were to be put inside a pride parade with raving homos swarming you in drag saying "hey baby", tell me your heart would not be pounding a bit.

Jeff
04-11-2010, 10:03 AM
that's like saying an underage kid can consent just cuz he gets a hard on.

Or a HS kid can determine they are gay or straight, not sure of the age of this kid, but HS is not the place to be making statements about your sexuality, the school my kid goes to has a dress code and rule on showing affection in school and at school functions, I am quite sure the way this kid wanted to dress would of crossed the dress code, and as far as the couple, well the school won't allow any type of affection shown, this couple just showing up would break that rule, but yes it is a shame that it had to end this way

LiberalNation
04-11-2010, 10:11 AM
high school is the time when teenagers are exploring their sexuality, most have already decided gay or straight by then. Had several lesbian friends in high school, guess what, they're still lesbians.

Nukeman
04-11-2010, 10:43 AM
high school is the time when teenagers are exploring their sexuality, most have already decided gay or straight by then. Had several lesbian friends in high school, guess what, they're still lesbians.

Yaa cause thats been what a total of 1 and 1/2 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????

Abbey Marie
04-11-2010, 12:09 PM

And I knew 3 girls who said they were Lesbian in HS, who then decided by the time they were Juniors or Seniors they were straight. :dunno:

Abbey Marie
04-11-2010, 12:13 PM
I have to agree, however its just wrong that the students with learning disabilities were subjected to that vulgar display. The other kids should be ashamed of themselves for not telling the disabled kids where the other dance was so they could be with the normal students.

That's what I meant by an ugly end. I could not tell from the article if the disabled kids even went to the same HS, or if they were just invited by the lesbians to make it seem worse.

I also don't like the trickery. Be brave enough to just not invite the lesbian couple if that is what you want. I do suspect, though, that they were trying to avoid the press and the ACLU showing up.