PDA

View Full Version : Wood stacking....

Binky
04-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Well, I've just finished stacking about two cord of wood. I will be getting more in over the summer and doing the same. Also had some cleanup to do and not finished yet. But I'm tired and tomorrow is another day.....

While I was stacking I kept thinking....."once I get going on it I'm good to go and don't want to stop until done. This is what is helping to keep in alive and in decent health." And then I wondered how many women get out and stack X amount of cord wood and carry in back and forth into the house over the winter, building fires to keep warm.... Sure am glad for the exercise and fresh air. Makes me feel a bit more renewed, healthwise...... Tiring, yep....but worth the aches and pains I will have come tomorrow or the next day......

Mr. P
04-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Well, I've just finished stacking about two cord of wood. I will be getting more in over the summer and doing the same. Also had some cleanup to do and not finished yet. But I'm tired and tomorrow is another day.....

While I was stacking I kept thinking....."once I get going on it I'm good to go and don't want to stop until done. This is what is helping to keep in alive and in decent health." And then I wondered how many women get out and stack X amount of cord wood and carry in back and forth into the house over the winter, building fires to keep warm.... Sure am glad for the exercise and fresh air. Makes me feel a bit more renewed, healthwise...... Tiring, yep....but worth the aches and pains I will have come tomorrow or the next day......

That reminds me of my Great Grandmother. The story was she would collect railroad ties and carry one at a time home on her back for fire wood.

Late 1800s early 1900s in Pa.

Binky
04-13-2010, 01:00 PM
That certainly doesn't surprise me....People, esp. women, were tougher back in those days.... Anyway, there were about six logs that were too large to burn so I picked them up, one by one, and stacked them in a corner to be cut later into a size I can carry into the house....Tiring work...Healthy work......

chloe
04-13-2010, 07:49 PM
That certainly doesn't surprise me....People, esp. women, were tougher back in those days.... Anyway, there were about six logs that were too large to burn so I picked them up, one by one, and stacked them in a corner to be cut later into a size I can carry into the house....Tiring work...Healthy work......

I couldn't do it.

Binky
04-14-2010, 05:26 AM
I couldn't do it.

Sure you could. It just requires getting up and doing it.......

Kathianne
04-14-2010, 05:35 AM

I'm with Chloe, I couldn't do it. OTOH, I've two sons and if I wanted it done, by gum they'd do it! ;) More kudos deserved, alas the rep counter will not allow.

chloe
04-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Binky you should open a little nature boot camp at your house Im sure the activities would tone up my arms and get me in tip top shape !!!

namvet
04-14-2010, 12:18 PM

And then I wondered how many women get out and stack X amount of cord wood and carry in back and forth into the house over the winter, building fires to keep warm....

lazy husbands ???? :laugh2:

Binky
04-15-2010, 10:04 AM
I'm with Chloe, I couldn't do it. OTOH, I've two sons and if I wanted it done, by gum they'd do it! ;) More kudos deserved, alas the rep counter will not allow.

Thanks, but I've been doing since 1984. My son used to jump in and stack as well, when he lived at home, but he is no longer alive to help me. It's just something that needs to get done and if the people we get it from won't stack it, then I have to do it.... Actually, it's just a matter of pushing past the laziness and doing it.......

Binky
04-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Binky you should open a little nature boot camp at your house Im sure the activities would tone up my arms and get me in tip top shape !!!

:laugh2::laugh2: Ever since I was a kid I learned how to be out in nature. Was taught how to build a fire and make a shelter. I know how to bait a hook, (for nightcrawlers I just break off part of it and put it on the hook and don't normally use the entire worm all at once), fish, and clean them. I can also walk thru the water and spear them. Been there, done that. However, I am not good with firearms or bow and arrows. I guess that's because I've had much less opportunity of using them.....But using a firearm is something I want to learn......

Cleaning the fish is a messy job, but then, so is tending to an adult in a nursing home that just had a huge BM.......Been there, done that..... And for that matter, cleaning up a bar counter after some drunk puked his guts up all over it isn't as easy as cleaning a fish... The puke can be a lot like egg whites that have splattered all over the stove......What a friggin' mess......and a darn good thing I'm a tough cookie with a strong stomach........:laugh2::laugh2:

HogTrash
04-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Binky
Well, I've just finished stacking about two cord of wood.

I will be getting more in over the summer and doing the same.

Also had some cleanup to do and not finished yet.

But I'm tired and tomorrow is another day.....Mr Binky trained you well. :poke:

Binky
04-15-2010, 10:30 AM
lazy husbands ???? :laugh2:

Nope, he works for GM in their robotics dept. and is always at work earning a paycheck, so is not here except on weekends....when possible... He is far from lazy......It's all just something I learned to do many years ago. I depend on myself for many things and stacking wood is only one of them.....When I need it in the winter I need it accessible and not piled high into a mass mess. Hey, I'm healthier for it and will prob'ly out live you, you old Viet Nam fart......:laugh2::laugh2:

Binky
04-15-2010, 10:34 AM
Mr Binky trained you well. :poke:

:laugh2::laugh2: "Mr. Binky". And who might that be? Anyway, goofus, I don't need a man to stack it for me....I am capable of doing it all by myself...

Mr. P
04-15-2010, 10:35 AM
:laugh2::laugh2: Ever since I was a kid I learned how to be out in nature. Was taught how to build a fire and make a shelter. I know how to bait a hook, (for nightcrawlers I just break off part of it and put it on the hook and don't normally use the entire worm all at once), fish, and clean them. I can also walk thru the water and spear them. Been there, done that. However, I am not good with firearms or bow and arrows. I guess that's because I've had much less opportunity of using them.....But using a firearm is something I want to learn......

Cleaning the fish is a messy job, but then, so is tending to an adult in a nursing home that just had a huge BM.......Been there, done that..... And for that matter, cleaning up a bar counter after some drunk puked his guts up all over it isn't as easy as cleaning a fish... The puke can be a lot like egg whites that have splattered all over the stove......What a friggin' mess......and a darn good thing I'm a tough cookie with a strong stomach........:laugh2::laugh2:

Cleaning the fish is a messy job but much less so if you filet them.

Binky
04-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Cleaning the fish is a messy job but much less so if you filet them.

Yep, but you still need to cleanup the guts and aftermath......:eek: :laugh2:

Mr. P
04-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Yep, but you still need to cleanup the guts and aftermath......:eek: :laugh2:

NO, no guts if you filet. That's what makes it less messy.

chloe
04-15-2010, 07:38 PM

I don't know how to fish either. Do you go fishing alot in the summertime Binky?

SassyLady
04-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Sure you could. It just requires getting up and doing it.......

You are so right Binky. I have a magnet on my frig says....

I am unstoppable once I get started!!!

For me it's the getting started thing. I am always amazed at what I get done once I get the "just do it" bug....but it comes along less often than it used to. I have too many fun things I want to do instead of hard labor. But there are some things that you can't let sit until you're ready to work hard.....like grass and weeds!!!

Mowed our two acres today and then went back and spread weed and feed over all of it. Then sprayed roundup on most of it while my brother was cutting down a dead tree. Spent the entire day cleaning up around the place and now probably won't do anything for a couple of days.....except lay in the hammock and admire the result of all the hard work. :cheers2:

SassyLady
04-15-2010, 09:23 PM

Yeah Binky....I'll come! Just make sure there aren't any spiders! :eek:

SassyLady
04-15-2010, 09:25 PM

BARFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF............I throw up just listening to someone throw up.....my kids hated getting the stomach flu .... not because they would get sick, but because they had to clean up after themselves and me!!! :slap:

Binky
04-16-2010, 05:12 AM
NO, no guts if you filet. That's what makes it less messy.

I stand corrected......thanks...

Binky
04-16-2010, 05:13 AM
I don't know how to fish either. Do you go fishing alot in the summertime Binky?

Used to. Haven't in a long time. Miss doing it.....

Kathianne
04-16-2010, 05:45 AM
BARFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF............I throw up just listening to someone throw up.....my kids hated getting the stomach flu .... not because they would get sick, but because they had to clean up after themselves and me!!! :slap:

I thought I was the only one, none of my friends at least admitted to throwing up when the kids did. Someone gagging is enough to cause...