PDA

View Full Version : MD shortage? 28 states may expand nurses' role

LiberalNation
04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
F the AMA.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100413/ap_on_he_me/us_med_dr_nurse

CHICAGO – Your doctor may soon be a nurse.

There's a shortage of primary care doctors. And that's only expected to get worse as health insurance is expanded under the new law.

Now 28 states are considering broadening the authority of nurse practitioners. These nurses with advanced degrees want the right to practice without a doctor's watchful eye.

For years, nurse practitioners have been playing a bigger role in health care, especially in regions with few doctors. But the medical establishment is fighting to protect its turf. The American Medical Association says a doctor shortage is no reason to put nurses in charge.

82Marine89
04-13-2010, 02:05 PM
F the AMA.

There's a shortage of primary care doctors. And that's only expected to get worse as health insurance is expanded under the new law.

Thank you B.O. and the democrat party.

Trigg
04-13-2010, 02:49 PM
F the AMA.

Now 28 states are considering broadening the authority of nurse practitioners. These nurses with advanced degrees want the right to practice without a doctor's watchful eye.

For years, nurse practitioners have been playing a bigger role in health care, especially in regions with few doctors. But the medical establishment is fighting to protect its turf. The American Medical Association says a doctor shortage is no reason to put nurses in charge.

I see your in favor of this, which illustrates in stark detail how much you don't know.

While there are some very good Physicians Assistants and Nurse Practitioners out there, they were never meant to replace trained doctors. They should not be able to see patients without oversight, period. They just don't have the training.

This is not a case of the doctors "protecting their turf", it is doctors protecting patients from wrong diagnosis and senseless tests from inexperienced and under-trained people.

Insein
04-13-2010, 03:04 PM
Do nurses need malpractice insurance?

Trigg
04-13-2010, 03:11 PM
Do nurses need malpractice insurance?

They can choose to carry it or be covered under their employer.

LiberalNation
04-13-2010, 04:43 PM
army nps do about everything a doc can do besides surgery. It's like the CRNA vs Doc. debate, the CRNA can do nearly everything a doc can do. Good thing about military medical practice is you ain't gona get sued.

KarlMarx
04-13-2010, 05:20 PM

I don't see how anyone can think this is a good thing. The article probably didn't mention that 60 hospitals that are in the planning phase are being cancelled. That's fewer doctors, fewer hospitals...

now, will someone remind me, how was socialized health care supposed to make things better?

thank you Barak O-Meathead....

LiberalNation
04-13-2010, 05:23 PM
more access, the most good for the most people. Time will fix the shortage as more incentives for doing medical are pushed.

Nukeman
04-13-2010, 05:29 PM
more access, the most good for the most people. Time will fix the shortage as more incentives for doing medical are pushed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH................LOLOLOLOL.... ..

You have got to be kidding me. Incentive.... What f***ing incentive. You take the money and profit out of health care and you lose some the best and brightest people in the world.... You are SOOOOO naive or stupid i haven't decided which it is yet....

Do you honestly believe that the entire health care establishment is made of all altruistic people. I bet you still believe we are actually represented by the people we vote in office, might as well believe in the tooth fairy while your at it......

LiberalNation
04-13-2010, 05:30 PM
docs make buko bucks and that wont be changing.

Nukeman
04-13-2010, 05:36 PM

You keep that little old pipe dream of yours... When health care becomes rationed and your being seen by the NP or PA instead of the over worked and under payed MD you keep on thinking he makes big bucks.. The QUICKEST way to cut cost is PAYROLL.. The sooner you learn that the sooner you will have learned a realism of life and how it works int he real world......

LiberalNation
04-13-2010, 05:50 PM
already go to an np, she's awesome for primary care and is more commpasionate than any doc I've seen. Docs tend to look at the body like a machine instead of at the person with emotional and physical needs that may not be so cut and dry.

Insein
04-14-2010, 08:27 AM
already go to an np, she's awesome for primary care and is more commpasionate than any doc I've seen. Docs tend to look at the body like a machine instead of at the person with emotional and physical needs that may not be so cut and dry.

Do you think that will get better or worse when rationing starts?

LiberalNation
04-14-2010, 08:31 AM
who knows, they get worse the more pressed for time and patients they have to see.

Trigg
04-14-2010, 02:06 PM

I'm not saying there aren't good NP's and PA's out here, many are exceptional at what they do. However, they are not as educated as the doctors and should not be able to practice medicine without the oversight of an actual physician.

Even before obamacare, this country was looking at a shortage. IMO this will simply make it worse.

Look at Europe. Doctors aren't paid much, so fewer people enter the field. After all, why spend 10 years in school in order to come out making as much as someone who went to school for 4????????

SassyLady
04-14-2010, 02:24 PM

How so Libbs.........how will those doctors that are making "buko bucks" still be making so much money?

For once, back up a statement you make with facts and figures not just an ill informed idea you have.

Jeff
04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
eralNation;421568]docs make buko bucks and that wont be changing.

My Dad got a letter from his Doc stating the she/ he gets $8.00 a visit from medicare , that was before Osama takes 54 million out of the medicare fund, sure sounds like buko bucks to me :poke:

Why would someone go to all kinds of schooling to make this kind of buko bucks :eek: you speak of, or lack of them in all reality ?

OOO by the way my Dad's Doc ended the letter by telling him She/he will be taken a early retirement

Plan sounds perfect to me :poke:

LiberalNation
04-14-2010, 08:12 PM
that's why a lot of docs don't take medicare, the compensation is a set rate and they can't gouge their patients.

LiberalNation
04-14-2010, 08:13 PM
a lot of nps have a doctorate. It's becoming madatory.

04-14-2010, 08:21 PM
[/b]

Do you think that will get better or worse when rationing starts?

This is rationing. If we werent already rationing we could all see the MD.

04-14-2010, 08:22 PM

Mandatory degrees. Brilliant. I mean how could we drive the cost of services any easier?

04-14-2010, 08:22 PM
that's why a lot of docs don't take medicare, the compensation is a set rate and they can't gouge their patients.

They aren't gouging us to begin with. They are just trying to survive.

Nukeman
04-15-2010, 05:45 AM

Really "a lot of doc's" you have to be kidding me. the baby boomer bubble has been expanding at an exponential rate for the last few years and will continue to do so for the next decade. You do know how medicare works fon't you? I mean after all t his IS going to be your choosen profession. The number of people on medicare has risen so quickley that the patient base has now reached the point where 2 out of EVERY 3 patients has medicare. Now you tell me ohh smart enlighted one how the "doc's" making "buku bucks" are to survive by ribbing out 2/3 of their patient base. Doctors don't "gouge" thier patients, you may see a list price but is it jsut like the one on a car, NO BODY pays that but an idiot. All physicians fees are negotiated down and discounts are given for insurance companies that refer to the physicians and hospitals. Now on the other hand 2/3 of our patient base are now on medicare/medicaid and the current reimbursement is in the neighborhood of 0.24 cents on the dollar for medicare and 0.04 cents on the dollar for medicaid. Yaa LN real big bucks...

You are a real dumb ass sometimes, you bash the military EXCEPT for thefact they are going to put you through school into a field that you have no idea how it works but you sure are quick to piss and moan over how "rich" everyone in health care is.

YOU DON'T HAVE A FUCKING CLUE IN LIFE DO YOU!!!!!!!!????? All you have done to date is bitch and put down anything that you have any dealing with, yet you are FAR from educated onthe topics you like to complain about....

do us all a favor LN, next time do a LITTLE research before you spout off about things YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!!!!

Really "doctorate" Are you sure about that???? In 2005 there were about 300 NP programs in the US these are primarily Maters level programs, there is a move to make them doctorate level by 2015 but hasn't happend yet, Ohh by the way most of the current NP are at most master level,

soo you ok with someone who has been in school for 6 years and NO clinical experience beyond the 1500-2000 hours needed for thier nursing degree to be able to not only diagnose but treat ailments.. The physician on the other hand who has had 8 years of straight school and 2-6 years of residency and fellowships and other training of course they should be on the same playing field after all the NP has a masters degress without the same level of clinical experience or training.

A number of NP come out with their degree with NO PRACTICLE experience, I see it EVERY DAY. They think they know what they are doing when in fact most look at a "plan of action sheet" designd by SOMEONE else and follow it with no thought for the indivdual patient. I see them missdiagnose all the time and over order test and exams needlessly. Hey they have a masters degree so they know everyhting!!!!!!! Once agan LN educate yourself first!!!!!!!!!!!

Binky
04-15-2010, 09:35 AM

They may still end up with the big bucks but there will be fewer to earn them........

Binky
04-15-2010, 09:40 AM

That and the fact that the gov't is always slow in compensating them.....therefore, making them wait for their money for services rendered......

Binky
04-15-2010, 09:42 AM

Maybe they should train to become doctors....

LiberalNation
04-15-2010, 05:15 PM
http://forums.nurse.com/showpost.php?p=61165&postcount=85

I might if the army sends me and make colonel for it. FYI they would be "doctors" with an advanced degree.

bullypulpit
04-18-2010, 04:59 PM
F the AMA.

Not that it'll get us any better pay or benefits. Meh.

Mr. P
04-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Not that it'll get us any better pay or benefits. Meh.

Nope. In fact, you can expect a pay cut under Obamacare.