PDA

View Full Version : Spare the rod... make your child more aggressive..

LiberalNation
04-13-2010, 04:57 PM
nah shit.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1981019,00.html

Disciplining young children is one of the key jobs of any parent — most people would have no trouble agreeing with that. But whether or not that discipline should include spanking or other forms of corporal punishment is a far trickier issue.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) does not endorse spanking for any reason, citing its lack of long-term effectiveness as a behavior-changing tactic. Instead the AAP supports strategies such as time-outs when children misbehave, which focus on getting kids to reflect on their behavior and the consequences of their actions. Still, as many parents can attest, few responses bring about the immediate interruption of a full-blown tantrum like a swift whack to the bottom.
(See pictures of the evolution of the college dorm.)

Now researchers at Tulane University provide the strongest evidence yet against the use of spanking: of the nearly 2,500 youngsters in the study, those who were spanked more frequently at age 3 were more likely to be aggressive by age 5. The research supports earlier work on the pitfalls of corporal punishment, including a study by Duke University researchers that revealed that infants who were spanked at 12 months scored lower on cognitive tests at age 3.

"I'm excited by the idea that there is now some nice hard data that can back up clinicians when they share their caution with parents against using corporal punishment," says Dr. Jayne Singer, clinical director of the child and parent program at Children's Hospital Boston, who was not involved in the study.
(Read "Should Kids Be Bribed to Do Well in School?")

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1981019,00.html#ixzz0l1IbCTw8

Nukeman
04-13-2010, 05:07 PM
nah shit.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1981019,00.html

Disciplining young children is one of the key jobs of any parent — most people would have no trouble agreeing with that. But whether or not that discipline should include spanking or other forms of corporal punishment is a far trickier issue.

The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) does not endorse spanking for any reason, citing its lack of long-term effectiveness as a behavior-changing tactic. Instead the AAP supports strategies such as time-outs when children misbehave, which focus on getting kids to reflect on their behavior and the consequences of their actions. Still, as many parents can attest, few responses bring about the immediate interruption of a full-blown tantrum like a swift whack to the bottom.
(See pictures of the evolution of the college dorm.)

Now researchers at Tulane University provide the strongest evidence yet against the use of spanking: of the nearly 2,500 youngsters in the study, those who were spanked more frequently at age 3 were more likely to be aggressive by age 5. The research supports earlier work on the pitfalls of corporal punishment, including a study by Duke University researchers that revealed that infants who were spanked at 12 months scored lower on cognitive tests at age 3.

"I'm excited by the idea that there is now some nice hard data that can back up clinicians when they share their caution with parents against using corporal punishment," says Dr. Jayne Singer, clinical director of the child and parent program at Children's Hospital Boston, who was not involved in the study.
(Read "Should Kids Be Bribed to Do Well in School?")

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1981019,00.html#ixzz0l1IbCTw8

Here I high lighted the important part of that whole article.

Children who are not disciplined learn that there are NO consequences to your actions children who are learn that their are limits that will not be crossed.

We currently have 2 generations of children that have grown up with the "Dr. Spock" method of positive reinforcement and NO spanking. They are some of the laziest, self centered, egotistical, and selfish individuals I have ever had the displeasure of meeting.

So I tell you what LN if you ever have kids raise them the way you want. My are well adjusted, hard working, honest children with strong family ties and strong work ethic. So I guess those occasional spanking payed off for them!?!?!?!?!!?

Nukeman
04-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Oh by the way this is a BS study plain and simple!!!!!

Maybe this is why they were spanked in the first place.... From the study. I don't think the spanking made them more aggressive i think they were spanked due to the fact that they already more aggressive..

Among the mothers who were studied, nearly half (45.6%) reported no spanking in the previous month, 27.9% reported spanking once or twice and 26.5% reported spanking more than twice. Compared with children who were not hit, those who were spanked were more likely to be defiant, demand immediate satisfaction of their wants and needs, get frustrated easily, have temper tantrums and lash out physically against others.Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1981019,00.html#ixzz0l1LtywuV

All the bold parts are reasons to be spanked... I think the study personnel are wrong in their assessment and were "back wards engineering" this study.....

darin
04-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm not sure I can add to what Nuke wrote - he was spot-on.

This is a bullshit study designed to promote raising a generation of liberals.

LiberalNation
04-13-2010, 05:13 PM
spanking when they are young can be acceptable say for running out in the street, kids like animals understand pain but should not be a regular occurence or you risk detatchment and resentment.

Nukeman
04-13-2010, 05:15 PM
spanking when they are young can be acceptable say for running out in the street, kids like animals understand pain but should not be a regular occurence or you risk detatchment and resentment.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!! It is for IMMEDIATE results to an unwanted action!!!!!!!!!! Should not be used liberally but should be used to show consequences to actions......

-Cp
04-13-2010, 06:22 PM
And for those times when spanking doesn't work anymore, I'd suggest duct-tape and chloroform-soaked rags... just sayin...

darin
04-13-2010, 06:30 PM
And for those times when spanking doesn't work anymore, I'd suggest duct-tape and chloroform-soaked rags... just sayin...

http://www.d-mphotos.com/images/applause.gif

:D
:cheers2::cheers2::cheers2:

SassyLady
04-13-2010, 10:57 PM
A quick swat on the bottom to interrupt unacceptable behavior is a great tool to use, but spanking to the point of a beating is abusive.

DragonStryk72
04-14-2010, 02:32 AM
My mom had a thought on this that went, "If you need to smack the kid a second time to get the point across, you didn't swing hard enough." She was not abusive, but few things got you to rethink your immediate actions like getting slapped hard upside the head.

Monkeybone
04-14-2010, 06:22 AM
I'll kill those jerks that say spanking made me aggressive! YYAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

But really. To parrot D... nothing else to be really said. They found "evidence" along lines and made it say what they wanted. There is a dif between discipline and punishment. If you show that evey little thing is to be met with a hittin... well duh.. what else do you think that your kids are gonna think?

crin63
04-14-2010, 09:05 AM
Swats are discipline, not punishment and done right they yield the proper results most of the time. I would suggest that most don't use swats properly.

You don't wait until the kid makes you mad to give them swats. You set a line for them and if they cross it they get swats, regardless of how it affects you. If you wait until you are mad or irritated, you waited too long. Disciplining a child should never be about how it makes the parent feel, its about training the child to do right and not cross certain lines. Teaching a child that there are consequences for their actions.

Most CEO's were spanked as children according to USA Today questions of the CEO's. It apparently didn't damage them.

By Del Jones, USA TODAY
The debate over whether CEOs are born or made remains unresolved, but there is one thing they overwhelmingly have in common.

As children, they were paddled, belted, switched or swatted.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2006-10-08-spanking-ceos-usat_x.htm?POE=click-refer

Monkeybone
04-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Swats are discipline, not punishment and done right they yield the proper results most of the time. I would suggest that most don't use swats properly.

You don't wait until the kid makes you mad to give them swats. You set a line for them and if they cross it they get swats, regardless of how it affects you. If you wait until you are mad or irritated, you waited too long. Disciplining a child should never be about how it makes the parent feel, its about training the child to do right and not cross certain lines. Teaching a child that there are consequences for their actions.

Most CEO's were spanked as children according to USA Today questions of the CEO's. It apparently didn't damage them.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/companies/management/2006-10-08-spanking-ceos-usat_x.htm?POE=click-referthat is an excellent way to put it Crin. That is how my dad did it. Even if it was something that royally piss him off, he would wait until he cooled off before dishing out my whaps.

LiberalNation
04-14-2010, 09:56 AM
not mine, he has a horrible temper, blood pressure would shoot up and he would beat the shit outa us. Still resent him for it and now he has prostate trouble as punishment.

LiberalNation
04-14-2010, 10:04 AM
I need a you made me gay bumper sticker.

jimnyc
04-14-2010, 10:07 AM
I need a you made me gay bumper sticker.

How ironic, that'll teach all your liberal buddies who state gays are born that way! :poke:

LiberalNation
04-14-2010, 10:09 AM
most are, some aren't, were you not born liking women or did you hafta resist the boy bum.

crin63
04-14-2010, 10:10 AM
that is an excellent way to put it Crin. That is how my dad did it. Even if it was something that royally piss him off, he would wait until he cooled off before dishing out my whaps.

That's how my dad was but I needed a whole lot more swats than I got. I always use to think to myself that I needed swats for what I just did, but I didn't get them. I was convinced that no one cared enough to stop me but in retrospect I was wrong, they were just babies raising babies and really had no clue.

Monkeybone
04-14-2010, 10:10 AM
How ironic, that'll teach all your liberal buddies who state gays are born that way! :poke:it's an either or excuse. I was born that way! Situations made me that way! I was born that way jus a little but what you did pushed me over the brink!

Remember... it is easier to lie to yourself (tell yourself something) if it is never your fault. :thumb:

Jeff
04-14-2010, 01:07 PM
it's an either or excuse. I was born that way! Situations made me that way! I was born that way jus a little but what you did pushed me over the brink!

Remember... it is easier to lie to yourself (tell yourself something) if it is never your fault. :thumb:

Such as it is Gw's fault

If you disagree it is cause you are a racist :laugh2:

ME thinks ya hit the nail on the head

SassyLady
04-14-2010, 01:33 PM
My mom had a thought on this that went, "If you need to smack the kid a second time to get the point across, you didn't swing hard enough." She was not abusive, but few things got you to rethink your immediate actions like getting slapped hard upside the head.

She sounds like a very wise woman.

Abbey Marie
04-14-2010, 01:54 PM
I had to go first get the stick I was beaten with. Talk about a long walk. I won't go into it. The important thing is that I did tons better with our daughter, and I expect she will do even better with her children someday. I knew that somebody had to break the cycle, and I decided it would be me.

(Btw, LN, it did not make me gay in the least).

jimnyc
04-14-2010, 02:52 PM
most are, some aren't, were you not born liking women or did you hafta resist the boy bum.

None are born right into being gay and not a single scientist in the world has been able to show otherwise.

SassyLady
04-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I had to go first get the stick I was beaten with. Talk about a long walk. I won't go into it. The important thing is that I did tons better with our daughter, and I expect she will do even better with her children someday. I knew that somebody had to break the cycle, and I decided it would be me.

(Btw, LN, it did not make me gay in the least).

Being molested and beaten by the man in our house did not make me a lesbian either Abbey....just made me pissed off at ignorant, redneck, alcoholic men and instilled in me the ability to find a man that was none of the above.

We, too, had to find the instrument of our beatings. Most of the time it was a willow tree switch....flexible enough to wrap around your legs and have maximum sting. I can't tell you how long I would stand there picking the one that I thought would be the least painful.

Most of the time my mom would just box our ears .... one time I was standing in the doorway and was backtalking her and she smacked me so hard that my head hit the door jamb and knocked me out. When I came to, she sent me to my room without dinner.

I personally think sexual, verbal and emotional abuse creates more violent people than spankings.

Jeff
04-14-2010, 03:07 PM
None are born right into being gay and not a single scientist in the world has been able to show otherwise.

Your wrong Jim, when my oldest was in the nursery I saw another baby trying to check out his pecker, that boy is now a flaming fag :laugh2:

Seriously where do some find this nonsense :eek:

crin63
04-17-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm all for it so long as there are specific boundaries set for the kids and its not subjective.

By Michael Birnbaum
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, April 16, 2010

TEMPLE, TEX. -- In an era when students talk back to teachers, skip class and wear ever-more-risque clothing to school, one central Texas city has hit upon a deceptively simple solution: Bring back the paddle.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/15/AR2010041505964.html

Binky
04-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Oh by the way this is a BS study plain and simple!!!!!

Maybe this is why they were spanked in the first place.... From the study. I don't think the spanking made them more aggressive i think they were spanked due to the fact that they already more aggressive..

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1981019,00.html#ixzz0l1LtywuV

All the bold parts are reasons to be spanked... I think the study personnel are wrong in their assessment and were "back wards engineering" this study.....

It has been my experience that usually, one good "crack" on their behinds will do the trick and they will think twice before doing whatever it was they got cracked for, ever again.... The pain from the "crack" only smarts for a few minutes, but the memory of it and why they got it, can last a lifetime.......

I'm all for it so long as there are specific boundaries set for the kids and its not subjective.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/15/AR2010041505964.html

I remember one time while in my history class, which was down a long narrow hall across an entrance from the gym, when one of the students was badmouthing the teacher and causing him plenty of aggrevation. The teacher had had enough...Period!!!!!

So he took out his paddle, which was prob'ly a good foot and a half to two feet long, 2 1/2 in. wide and narrower at the handle. I'd say if was about 3/4 in. thick as well....He told the boy to get out in the hall and he'd follow him... Once in the hall, the teacher closed the door and the class got totally quiet...(we had to hear him getting spanked) LoL! Anyway, the teach then set forth to giving him about three great whacks on his butt and the sound echoed off the walls, filling the empy space. That brought on a cringing moment for the rest of us. And when the boy reentered the room, his face was completely red and he took his seat and was quiet the rest of the class period.... The teach was not a happy camper but went on with what he was teaching anyway.....

Anyway, the boy lived to see another day and I imagine recalled that memory when having to deal with his own children later in life.....

Sometimes...........all it takes is to crack 'em a couple of good ones and they get the point.... Which happens to make life much easier in the long run....

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

crin63
04-17-2010, 12:17 PM
I remember one time while in my history class, which was down a long narrow hall across an entrance from the gym, when one of the students was badmouthing the teacher and causing him plenty of aggrevation. The teacher had had enough...Period!!!!!

So he took out his paddle, which was prob'ly a good foot and a half to two feet long, 2 1/2 in. wide and narrower at the handle. I'd say if was about 3/4 in. thick as well....He told the boy to get out in the hall and he'd follow him... Once in the hall, the teacher closed the door and the class got totally quiet...(we had to hear him getting spanked) LoL! Anyway, the teach then set forth to giving him about three great whacks on his butt and the sound echoed off the walls, filling the empy space. That brought on a cringing moment for the rest of us. And when the boy reentered the room, his face was completely red and he took his seat and was quiet the rest of the class period.... The teach was not a happy camper but went on with what he was teaching anyway.....

Anyway, the boy lived to see another day and I imagine recalled that memory when having to deal with his own children later in life.....

Sometimes...........all it takes is to crack 'em a couple of good ones and they get the point.... Which happens to make life much easier in the long run....

When I was in 5th grade I had the options of swats or writing sentences 250 times. I should have taken the swats, writing the sentences was far worse than the swats would have been. Our principal had a board about 4" wide and 18" long with holes in it. Man them holes were scary. That board was always hanging on his wall, that was enough to make you think twice.

SassyLady
04-17-2010, 03:00 PM

Tell me Binky.....did you have the kind of parents that said they would double the punishment you received at school. I knew that if I got two smacks at school I would get far worse at home. So I knew that it was smarter to piss off my parents than the teacher (they never punished me for what I did at home)!

Binky
04-17-2010, 03:47 PM
When I was in 5th grade I had the options of swats or writing sentences 250 times. I should have taken the swats, writing the sentences was far worse than the swats would have been. Our principal had a board about 4" wide and 18" long with holes in it. Man them holes were scary. That board was always hanging on his wall, that was enough to make you think twice.

:laugh2::laugh2: A vision of you getting spanked with a board with holes in it gave me a chuckle. I can right now, see what a pattern that would have made on your behind....:laugh2::laugh2:

Binky
04-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Tell me Binky.....did you have the kind of parents that said they would double the punishment you received at school. I knew that if I got two smacks at school I would get far worse at home. So I knew that it was smarter to piss off my parents than the teacher (they never punished me for what I did at home)!

Nope. My dad left the discipling to my mom.... I can only remember getting spanked once and I was 16. I had sassed her bigtime. We lived across the street from an elem. school with a ball diamond. She chased me out of the house and all around that diamond with a belt in her hand. When she caught me she spanked my backside all across my legs and the buckle left marks. I had become the entertainment for other kids and they all stood around laughing. It was a most humiliating experience.

Whenever I got reprimanded for something I had done I could actually see the hurt and pain on my moms face because I had gone against my upbringing and done something I should never have done..... I can still see that look today.... And I cringe, knowing I caused her such heartache and humiliation....... I have always been very ashamed of myself...... Oddly enough, my mom never stopped loving me.....:coffee: