PDA

View Full Version : Joint Strike Fighter is Flying

Pale Rider
04-25-2007, 03:31 PM
Joint Strike Fighter is Flying

Norman Polmar | April 19, 2007
The first F-35A Lightning II development variant of the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) continues to have a highly successful flight test program. As this item was written the first F-35A to fly has accumulated just under nine hours of flight in nine flights since December 15, 2006. However, flights exceeding Mach 1 are not scheduled to take place until early 2008.

The JSF was developed to provide a fighter/attack aircraft for the U.S. Air Force, Navy, and Marine Corps, as well as allied nations. The principal F-35 variants are:

*F-35A conventional takeoff and landing aircraft to replace the U.S. Air Force F-16 Fighting Falcon.

*F-35B short takeoff/vertical landing aircraft to replace the U.S. Marine Corps AV-8B Harrier and F/A-18 Hornet aircraft; and the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force Harrier GR.7 and GR.7 aircraft.

*F-35C carrier-capable aircraft to replace the U.S. Navy’s F/A18A through D variants of the Hornet.

Meanwhile, the Government Accountability Office (GAO) in a recent report states that the JSF program cost and schedule goals established in fiscal year 2004 have not been met. The report continued, the “JSF continues to pursue a risky acquisition strategy that concurrently develops and produces aircraft. While some concurrency may be beneficial to efficiently transition from development to production, the degree of overlap is significant on this program.”

Low-rate F-35 production begins this year with almost the entire seven-year test program remaining to confirm the aircraft design.

The accelerated F-35 program is necessary because of the need to replace the attack and fighter aircraft now flown by the U.S. Marine Corps and the RAF and RN carrier-based Harriers.

http://www.military.com/forums/0,15240,132934,00.html?ESRC=airforce.nl

badger
04-26-2007, 02:21 AM
The Marine Corps version (STOVL) of the Joint Strike Fighter, the F35B Lightning:

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/jsf/images/img4.jpg

Psychoblues
05-14-2007, 03:00 AM
It has no defense against rocks, bricks and beer bottles.

The Marine Corps version (STOVL) of the Joint Strike Fighter, the F35B Lightning:

http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/jsf/images/img4.jpg

Another multi billion dollar unnecessary and poorly designed piece of the Military/Industrial Complex that President Eisenhower warned us against.

Sitarro
05-14-2007, 06:58 AM
It has no defense against rocks, bricks and beer bottles.

What is that suppose to mean, is that what others are throwing at it? Most of our enemies have aircraft that fire missles, who is throwing beer bottles.

Another multi billion dollar unnecessary and poorly designed piece of the Military/Industrial Complex that President Eisenhower warned us against.

Another statement that makes no sense, are you saying that there are no threats to our country or our way of life? Why don't you write your manifesto so we will all be privy to the deep thought that surely comes from a person that has solutions to all of the worlds problems? What exactly would you do if you were handed the keys to this country? I would love to hear it or are you just the standard lib that only criticizes but has no solutions to anything......read, all Democrits. Oh and by the way, that quote from Eisenhower is taken out of context but what do libs care, just claim it and maybe it will become true.

Psychoblues
05-15-2007, 11:01 PM
Tell me now, zorro, what military on Earth has the capacity to take on even one of our late '50's jets, the F-4?

What is that suppose to mean, is that what others are throwing at it? Most of our enemies have aircraft that fire missles, who is throwing beer bottles.

Another statement that makes no sense, are you saying that there are no threats to our country or our way of life? Why don't you write your manifesto so we will all be privy to the deep thought that surely comes from a person that has solutions to all of the worlds problems? What exactly would you do if you were handed the keys to this country? I would love to hear it or are you just the standard lib that only criticizes but has no solutions to anything......read, all Democrits. Oh and by the way, that quote from Eisenhower is taken out of context but what do libs care, just claim it and maybe it will become true.

I am correct on the bricks and rocks analogy and you are sooooo wrong about it. The General Dynamics, Lockheeds, Boeings and others have such a lock on your attention that worldwide facts never enter your subhuman cranium. Dwight Was Right.

Hobbit
05-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Tell me now, zorro, what military on Earth has the capacity to take on even one of our late '50's jets, the F-4?

Anybody with a SAM, which means anybody, except maybe Swaziland.

I am correct on the bricks and rocks analogy and you are sooooo wrong about it. The General Dynamics, Lockheeds, Boeings and others have such a lock on your attention that worldwide facts never enter your subhuman cranium. Dwight Was Right.

I still don't get where you're going with this.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Anybody with a SAM, which means anybody, except maybe Swaziland.

I still don't get where you're going with this.

I don't think He/She does either.

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 12:46 AM
You or hibbitt either one caught on to the F-4 reference, did you?

I don't think He/She does either.

Do you cry and rock yourself to sleep everynight as you lay in fear of the boogiemen that your pResident intimidates you everyday with?

At some point in your life you have to grow up, think about things, do some analyses and take responsibility for your actions and considerations. These are things that I think your pResident and you have failed to do.

Sitarro
05-16-2007, 01:20 AM

An F-4????????!!!!! :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: They weren't that great in Vietnam, they killed MIG 21s but they weren't equal, the MIG was pretty low tech and still outperformed the F-4..

I was at an airshow last fall that had an F-4E that performed some manuevers for the crowd. It was slow, lumbering and had absolutely no manueverability. An F-15C took off and performed the same manuevers and there wasn't even a comparison. The F-15 could turn inside the F-4 on every turn, out accelerated the F-4, out climb, out everything. The F-15 would down an F-4 in a literal blink of an eye. The MIG 29 compares favorably to the F-15. Where does that leave your F-4?

[QUOTE=Psychoblues;59329]I am correct on the bricks and rocks analogy and you are sooooo wrong about it. The General Dynamics, Lockheeds, Boeings and others have such a lock on your attention that worldwide facts never enter your subhuman cranium. Dwight Was Right.

Whether they ever take their aircraft into combat or not, the government sponsored research does wonders for the design of civilian aircraft, that in itself, without considering their need for defense of our country, makes the expenditure worth it.

nevadamedic
05-16-2007, 01:28 AM
You or hibbitt either one caught on to the F-4 reference, did you?

Do you cry and rock yourself to sleep everynight as you lay in fear of the boogiemen that your pResident intimidates you everyday with?

At some point in your life you have to grow up, think about things, do some analyses and take responsibility for your actions and considerations. These are things that I think your pResident and you have failed to do.

I take responsiblility for all my actions, so don't you dare say anything like that baout me when you dont know me or know what the hell your talking about. Why the hell bring the President into this? Just an immature comment made by an immature person.

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 01:36 AM
You suck, you forgot what you were talking about,

I take responsiblility for all my actions, so don't you dare say anything like that baout me when you dont know me or know what the hell your talking about. Why the hell bring the President into this? Just an immature comment made by an immature person.

Try again, 'lil Nuremberger?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!?