PDA

View Full Version : Sitting in Charlotte NC

Jeff
04-19-2010, 05:24 PM
I am sitting hear in the Queen city trying to decide if I wish to buy my own truck or just go to work for this company as a company driver, They make it very tempting, I can walk away from owning a truck at any point and lose nothing but what I have paid till that point and they will put me right into a company truck , Hate to lose my ass but I just keep thinking I will be making the same money pretty much but at the end of 2 years I will own it and then can put it on a regional run where I will be home a lot more, OOO well guess I will decide here soon enough

Kathianne
04-19-2010, 05:31 PM
I am sitting hear in the Queen city trying to decide if I wish to buy my own truck or just go to work for this company as a company driver, They make it very tempting, I can walk away from owning a truck at any point and lose nothing but what I have paid till that point and they will put me right into a company truck , Hate to lose my ass but I just keep thinking I will be making the same money pretty much but at the end of 2 years I will own it and then can put it on a regional run where I will be home a lot more, OOO well guess I will decide here soon enough

If I understand you correctly, you have a good decision to make. ;)

SassyLady
04-19-2010, 05:49 PM

Good luck Jeff!

Mr. P
04-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Ponder it well,Jeff. There are lots of hooks an gotchas in those deals.

And if it's to good to be true...it probably is trouble.

crin63
04-19-2010, 06:26 PM

For me, I decided to make the changes it took to be home more with my family. I was working for a subsidiary of a large corporation, I was working in the best crew I had ever been in, work was actually fun even though we were working hard 12 hour days 7 days a week and they were making big plans for me so my star was on the rise. I walked away because there was an opportunity for me to be closer to home and with the family. I went from being a superstar to being at the bottom of a huge pile where I was hated right out the gate by virtually everyone for being the only person from a rival craft.

It was worth it all to be more a part of my kids lives and home with/for my wife.

SassyLady
04-19-2010, 06:41 PM
For me, I decided to make the changes it took to be home more with my family. I was working for a subsidiary of a large corporation, I was working in the best crew I had ever been in, work was actually fun even though we were working hard 12 hour days 7 days a week and they were making big plans for me so my star was on the rise. I walked away because there was an opportunity for me to be closer to home and with the family. I went from being a superstar to being at the bottom of a huge pile where I was hated right out the gate by virtually everyone for being the only person from a rival craft.

It was worth it all to be more a part of my kids lives and home with/for my wife.

Kudos to you Crin for knowing what your priorities are and thankfully it means being there to guide and support your wife and kids. :thumb:

Jeff
04-19-2010, 07:20 PM
Thank you all for the advice

For right now with the economy the way it is I have to be away from home, anyone that has a local job is not leaving it and the companies that use to get ya home during the week and on the weekend are now wanting you to run 7 days a week, so many small companies have shut there doors that the bigger ones are getting very picky, that is why I decided the change from the company I was working for, they ran about 55 of there trucks and as many O/O, this new company has 500 of there own trucks, they are big enough to get threw this economy but small enough to be personal , My ultimate goal is to be home with the family, that is what is making m decision hard, either way I will be gone for 2 weeks at a time, but if I buy the truck get it paid for I can then survive on a regional run, ooo well thanks again to all

Mr. P
04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Jeff..you said you'd be making about the same money buying....Who pays fuel, maintenance and insurance? If it's you how does that breakdown per month vs just driving for them?

Jeff
04-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Jeff..you said you'd be making about the same money buying....Who pays fuel, maintenance and insurance? If it's you how does that breakdown per month vs just driving for them?

I have much more to look into Mr. P but what I have seen this far and have heard from some of the other drivers by the time I pay all the fuel , Ins, and truck payment , and putting money away for repairs, I will be making about the same as a company driver, my problem is if I get 3/4 of the way threw and the economy really tanks, sure I can back out of it and become a company driver

I spoke to a driver today that bought his truck threw them and he said it worked just as they say, but as a company driver ya aren't under the gun to have to make X amount of money, if ya get a bad week ya suck it up, if ya are trying to pay for it then every week has to be a decent one

crin63
04-19-2010, 08:05 PM
Thank you all for the advice

For right now with the economy the way it is I have to be away from home, anyone that has a local job is not leaving it and the companies that use to get ya home during the week and on the weekend are now wanting you to run 7 days a week, so many small companies have shut there doors that the bigger ones are getting very picky, that is why I decided the change from the company I was working for, they ran about 55 of there trucks and as many O/O, this new company has 500 of there own trucks, they are big enough to get threw this economy but small enough to be personal , My ultimate goal is to be home with the family, that is what is making m decision hard, either way I will be gone for 2 weeks at a time, but if I buy the truck get it paid for I can then survive on a regional run, ooo well thanks again to all

All I was trying to say is that in the long run if you can figure out a way to be home with the family more its worth the sacrifice and risk. If buying your own rig gets you there quicker than not and you have a way out if the economy tanks, go for it. My 2 cents.

Jeff
04-19-2010, 08:15 PM
All I was trying to say is that in the long run if you can figure out a way to be home with the family more its worth the sacrifice and risk. If buying your own rig gets you there quicker than not and you have a way out if the economy tanks, go for it. My 2 cents.

That's my problem Crin nothing is written in stone and my goal is to be home, trying to predict what might happen, what lies are being told if any, lol, tuff choice here

chloe
04-21-2010, 10:10 PM
So whats the final outcome? Is charlotte NC pretty ?

chesswarsnow
04-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. But this is a no brainer.
2. Get the truck, but get a new truck.
3. Don't take a used one, the one you use now for them.
4. Then baby it, so it never breaks down, to save yourself repair costs.
5. Having your own rig will open up other doors too, when you own it, in just two years, you can shop it around then, if you want too, to get more money.
6. And a better route.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

chesswarsnow
04-21-2010, 10:46 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Jeffro, I thought you were smarter than that dude.:laugh2:
2. Now go and get that shinny new truck!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas