PDA

View Full Version : Do animals have the same moral stature as humans?

-Cp
04-21-2010, 04:03 PM
Due to folks arguing about cats/dogs/animals etc being so important in dmp's thread on his sick cat, I thought it'd be best to have this discussion here.

Do you view animals as being equal to humans? If so, why? If not, why?

glockmail
04-21-2010, 04:06 PM
No. Its in the Bible for man to be the master of his domain, subdue the earth and eat meat.

-Cp
04-21-2010, 04:09 PM
No. Its in the Bible for man to be the master of his domain, subdue the earth and eat meat.

Scripture reference?

pete311
04-21-2010, 04:11 PM
I don't look to a book to tell me what to think. Humans are animals. We share the earth with other animals, plants, bugs. The earth was not created for us. Obviously like other animals we are concerned and biased towards our own species, but i'd say the vast majority of what we do is well beyond the necessary requirements for our survival.

glockmail
04-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Scripture reference? You doubt me?

glockmail
04-21-2010, 04:12 PM
I don't look to a book to tell me what to think. Humans are animals. We share the earth with them. The earth was not created for us. Obviously like other animals we are concerned and biased towards our own species, but i'd say the vast majority of what we do is well beyond the necessary requirements for our survival. So you're a vegan? :laugh2:

pete311
04-21-2010, 04:14 PM
So you're a vegan? :laugh2:

No, vegan-ism is not healthy.

SassyLady
04-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Due to folks arguing about cats/dogs/animals etc being so important in dmp's thread on his sick cat, I thought it'd be best to have this discussion here.

Do you view animals as being equal to humans? If so, why? If not, why?

I do not view animals as being "equal" to humans. I believe we are all animals and humans just happen to be at the top of the food chain. However, I believe that we are responsible for the animals that we domesticate and if we choose to have them be companions, we are responsible for their quality of life. I think it is morally wrong to abuse and neglect them.

One does not have to see another life as being "equal" to treat it with dignity and respect.

SassyLady
04-21-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't look to a book to tell me what to think. Humans are animals. We share the earth with other animals, plants, bugs. The earth was not created for us. Obviously like other animals we are concerned and biased towards our own species, but i'd say the vast majority of what we do is well beyond the necessary requirements for our survival.

Must spread rep! :clap::clap::clap:

pete311
04-21-2010, 04:26 PM
I do not view animals as being "equal" to humans. I believe we are all animals and humans just happen to be at the top of the food chain. However, I believe that we are responsible for the animals that we domesticate and if we choose to have them be companions, we are responsible for their quality of life. I think it is morally wrong to abuse and neglect them.

One does not have to see another life as being "equal" to treat it with dignity and respect.

I would like to add that being in the place we are (at the top) we should feel obligated to look after the lesser forms of life rather than dominate them. We have come from caves through the enlightenment age to a technological wonder land and yet we still treat each other and our planet like a frat house.

btw, anyone else super excited for Disney Oceans?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXLbQrK6cXw

SassyLady
04-21-2010, 04:38 PM
I would like to add that being in the place we are (at the top) we should feel obligated to look after the lesser forms of life rather than dominate them. We have come from caves through the enlightenment age to a technological wonder land and yet we still treat each other and our planet like a frat house.

I feel we should lessen the impact we have on their domain as much as possible and they can look after themselves as nature intended.

Haven't seen Disney Oceans yet. I'm sure it is spectacular and informative.

pete311
04-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Haven't seen Disney Oceans yet. I'm sure it is spectacular and informative.

Comes out on theaters tomorrow!! :)

-Cp
04-21-2010, 05:13 PM
You doubt me?

Of course...

glockmail
04-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Of course... Before I look up the passages in the Bible I need to know that your next post ain't going to be "the bible isn't the moral authority" or some whore shit like that.

glockmail
04-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Isn't it immoral to use financial resources to extend the life of a cat when the same money can be give to Food For The Poor and build homes for or feed poor folk in other countries?

pete311
04-21-2010, 06:25 PM
Isn't it immoral to use financial resources to extend the life of a cat when the same money can be give to Food For The Poor and build homes for or feed poor folk in other countries?

Perhaps, but that isn't a realistic expectation. You could go so far as to say, why are you conversing on this forum when you could be at a soup kitchen? It is an impossible standard.

SassyLady
04-21-2010, 06:27 PM

Probably ..... but not as immoral as killing it inhumanely and still not giving the money to the poor for homes and shelter .... as some people around here would do.

glockmail
04-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Perhaps, but that isn't a realistic expectation. You could go so far as to say, why are you conversing on this forum when you could be at a soup kitchen? It is an impossible standard. Not when you claim that its immoral for dealing with an unpleasant situation decisively and humanely.

glockmail
04-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Probably ..... but not as immoral as killing it inhumanely and still not giving the money to the poor for homes and shelter .... as some people around here would do. Who would that be? :)

cat slave
04-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Youre in here too........POOF!

glockmail
04-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Ba-bye! :laugh2:

-Cp
04-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Perhaps, but that isn't a realistic expectation. You could go so far as to say, why are you conversing on this forum when you could be at a soup kitchen? It is an impossible standard.

How do you know he's not conversing on there while he's at the soup kitchen? It's impossible for you to know for sure.

pete311
04-21-2010, 10:24 PM
How do you know he's not conversing on there while he's at the soup kitchen? It's impossible for you to know for sure.

if you're typing, you ain't serving food

-Cp
04-21-2010, 10:52 PM
if you're typing, you ain't serving food

If you're typing, it means you got a break between meals and stuff....

-Cp
04-21-2010, 10:53 PM
Before I look up the passages in the Bible I need to know that your next post ain't going to be "the bible isn't the moral authority" or some whore shit like that.

This issue has nothing to do w/ my view on the Bible as it's YOUR view that's at issue here.

Regardless of what I think, you need to be able to support your biblical view - go ahead, look em' up.. .lol.. I can't wait to see it..

glockmail
04-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Genesis 1:28
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Genesis 9:3
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

Abbey Marie
04-22-2010, 02:51 PM

Yes! We almost went to see it today, and will def go very soon. :beer:

Abbey Marie
04-22-2010, 02:57 PM

There is text on us having "dominion" over the Earth, but that does not mean being cruel or inhumane. We have dominion over our kids, too, but most people don't think that means we should torture them or eat them or hunt them or kill them.

We are more like stewards of the Earth.

crin63
04-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Animals should not be mistreated but they're not equal to humans.

If you want spend $$$$$ on your animal, fine. Its up to the individual.

If you want to use a .25 cent solution for $$$$$ situation, fine. Its up to the individual.

-Cp
04-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Genesis 1:28
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

Genesis 9:3
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

So what does that have to do with the mistreatment of His creation?

darin
04-22-2010, 05:21 PM
...God also sent every animal to Adam as a possible "helpmate" - but instead created Eve...what does that tell us? We should try animals before finding a wife?

cat slave
04-23-2010, 02:09 AM
I forget the chapter and verse but in Proverbs it says..."A righteous man
regardeth the life of his beast".

glockmail
04-23-2010, 08:53 AM
There is text on us having "dominion" over the Earth, but that does not mean being cruel or inhumane. We have dominion over our kids, too, but most people don't think that means we should torture them or eat them or hunt them or kill them.

We are more like stewards of the Earth.

So what does that have to do with the mistreatment of His creation?

I killed it quickly with the method at my disposal that would cause as little pain as possible. How is that cruel or inhumane?

glockmail
04-23-2010, 08:54 AM
...God also sent every animal to Adam as a possible "helpmate" - but instead created Eve...what does that tell us? We should try animals before finding a wife?Now you're into bestiality?

glockmail
04-23-2010, 09:50 AM
You have been removed from this discussion.
Another Glock victory! :lol:

jimnyc
04-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Another Glock victory! :lol:

And another removal from thread. Any more attempts to circumvent rules or get a rise out of people will lead to more than a thread ban. Someone like you doesn't deserve to participate in threads about animals.