PDA

View Full Version : Rush as a dangerous Svengali?

red states rule
04-22-2010, 04:13 AM
What a great article by a liberal who actually listened to Rush, and found he was not such a bad fellow

snip

If you’d been around in 1894, you would instantly have recognized the name “Svengali.” He was the chief villain in George du Maurier’s blockbuster novel Trilby. The Svengali plot-line was a simple one: Trilby was an innocent (and tone deaf) laundress and model living in fin de siecle Paris. Svengali hypnotized her into bec0ming a great singer and the toast of the music world. When he suffered a heart attack during one of her performances, his spell over her broke, and she was left standing on stage, bewildered and humiliated. Since then, we use the word “svengali” to describe a person who steals the will of another with evil intent.

It’s become increasingly clear to me that liberals view Rush Limbaugh in precisely that light. And no, I’m not making the obvious point that the Obami and the Democratic party fear Rush’s bully pulpit and consistently demonize him. I’m talking about the rank-and-file’s fear that even listening to Rush for a moment or two causes a person to lose the will to be a liberal. Those liberals to whom I speak shy away from him, not because they disagree with what he has to say, but because they fear he will convince them that he’s right.

The following is a talk I had just the other day while driving in the car with a liberal friend who, having voted for Obama, is now deeply regretting that decision:

Me: How would you like to do something completely different? Let me put Rush on the radio.

Her: No, no. I don’t want to do that.

Me: Come on, you’ll like him. He’s not at all the way you’ve heard him described in the other media. He’s very well-informed, quite funny, and amazingly prescient.

Her: No, no. He’s too arrogant.

Me: Nah. That’s just an act. Give it a try, for just a few minutes.

Her: No. I can’t listen to him. [Then, as a sop:] I watch Fox sometimes.

So here we have a woman who realizes that she made a mistake voting Democrat this election, who is open to conservative news (I believe her when she says she watches Fox), yet who assiduously avoids any contact with Rush. Incidentally, this was not a one time-0nly conversation. I had virtually the same conversation with two other regret-filled liberals.

The belligerently liberal ones are equally averse to exposing themselves to Rush.

Me: I challenge you to listen to Rush for a half hour.

Him: No. He’s an idiot.

Me: Have you ever listened to him?

Him: No.

Me: Then how do you know he’s an idiot?

Him: He is. He’s a wacko. He doesn’t know anything.

Me: How do you know that?

Him: Are you trying to make me mad?

Me: No. But I do think that you should listen to him. At least then you’d have first hand knowledge of what he says and whether you agree or disagree with it.

Him: I’m not going to waste my time.

And so on, ad infinitum and definitely ad nauseum.

bullypulpit
04-22-2010, 06:21 AM
And your point being? I listened to Rush when he first came on the air, back when I was a delivery driver..All 3 hours on a daily basis. It didn't take me long to figure out that what he said contained just enough truth to make him sound credible. The rest, about 80%, was utter bullshit. Rush has long been a practitioner of the art of the "Big Lie".

He's not a svengali...just a drug addled gas-bag with a brain pickled in hillbilly heroine.

red states rule
04-23-2010, 04:31 AM
And your point being? I listened to Rush when he first came on the air, back when I was a delivery driver..All 3 hours on a daily basis. It didn't take me long to figure out that what he said contained just enough truth to make him sound credible. The rest, about 80%, was utter bullshit. Rush has long been a practitioner of the art of the "Big Lie".

He's not a svengali...just a drug addled gas-bag with a brain pickled in hillbilly heroine.

The point is, many libs hate Rush but NEVER listened to him. With your anger and hate BP, I find it hard to believe you would listen to anyone who has a different POV, and defends that POV with facts and not the emotion you defend yours

That is why Rush is the King of Talk Radio, and why liberals have failed for over 20 years to silence him