PDA

View Full Version : Call For End To Racist Rap Lyrics

Pale Rider
04-25-2007, 05:54 PM
Call For End To Racist Rap Lyrics

7:10 am, 26 Apr 2007

The founder of legendary hip-hop label Def Jam has called for three sexist and racist words to be removed from songs.

Russell Simmons, the pioneering entrepreneur whose label has released music by Public Enemy, Run DMC and the Beastie Boys, objects to the use of "nigger", "ho" and "bitch".

Simmons said there was "growing public outrage" about the use of the terms, which he said should be viewed as the same as "extreme curse words".

He asked broadcasters and record companies to voluntarily remove, bleep or delete the words from music and he suggested setting up an industry watchdog to recommend guidelines for lyrical and visual standards.

Last week, Simmons called a private meeting of influential music industry executives to discuss the issue.

© NewsRoom 2007

http://www.newswire.co.nz/main/viewstory.aspx?storyid=369626&catid=3008

Missileman
04-25-2007, 06:06 PM
The problem isn't those three words, it's in the whole "gangsta" mentality. The young blacks have bought into it hook, line, and sinker. As long as it's profitable, it's not going anywhere. Each generation that laps it up will be destined for failure. Any change will have to come from black women. Sadly, so far, they tolerate the nonsense.

Pale Rider
04-25-2007, 06:13 PM
The problem isn't those three words, it's in the whole "gangsta" mentality. The young blacks have bought into it hook, line, and sinker. As long as it's profitable, it's not going anywhere. Each generation that laps it up will be destined for failure. Any change will have to come from black women. Sadly, so far, they tolerate the nonsense.

It's about the double standard. Imus utters "nappy headed ho", and he's crucified for it. But yet gangsta rappers can say "nigger, ho, bitch", whatever. It's a double standard, it needs attention, and it needs to be dealt with.

Hugh Lincoln
04-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Wow. And here I thought my cynicism couldn't be pushed any farther. But now we have a black "rap mogul" who, for some strange reason, decides that RIGHT NOW would just happen to be a good time to come out with THIS announcement.

Ahem.

Pale Rider
04-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Wow. And here I thought my cynicism couldn't be pushed any farther. But now we have a black "rap mogul" who, for some strange reason, decides that RIGHT NOW would just happen to be a good time to come out with THIS announcement.

Ahem.

Publicity. I highly doubt it's sincere concern.