PDA

View Full Version : Political Coreectness. An excuse not to debate.

82Marine89
04-24-2010, 10:47 AM
"Political correctness" is mostly just a slogan used to stifle debate, but there is a real message here - that it is only open, honest debate that can finally solve our problems. It may be an uncomfortable, messy process, but real life is like that. Some on this board use the phrase "Politically Correct" as a means to shut down another poster. Is it because they are incapable of debate or they only are able to regurgitate what they hear on the talk radio and conservative media programs?

Opinions?

cat slave
04-24-2010, 10:52 PM
Im busy listening to talk radio so I can ...... regurgitate? Oh, but wait, I dont
need radio for that, just the relentless and never ending babble of the guy
with the teleprompters.

Ill go back to my radio!

Kathianne
04-25-2010, 03:56 AM
"Political correctness" is mostly just a slogan used to stifle debate, but there is a real message here - that it is only open, honest debate that can finally solve our problems. It may be an uncomfortable, messy process, but real life is like that. Some on this board use the phrase "Politically Correct" as a means to shut down another poster. Is it because they are incapable of debate or they only are able to regurgitate what they hear on the talk radio and conservative media programs?

Opinions?

I find it pointless to carry on real discussions with those that do what you are describing, so I don't. I'm fine with arguing or just discussing why I might reach the conclusions I do, but find those that resort to such 'charges' really have nothing to say.

It seems for my blood pressure it's better to take my political interests and thoughts to threads with posters that are interested in discussing or debating. When threads are just on general topics, no problem with people you describe; it's not that I don't 'like' them, I just find serious interest discussions a waste of time and effort.

cat slave
04-25-2010, 10:07 AM
I find it pointless to carry on real discussions with those that do what you are describing, so I don't. I'm fine with arguing or just discussing why I might reach the conclusions I do, but find those that resort to such 'charges' really have nothing to say.

It seems for my blood pressure it's better to take my political interests and thoughts to threads with posters that are interested in discussing or debating. When threads are just on general topics, no problem with people you describe; it's not that I don't 'like' them, I just find serious interest discussions a waste of time and effort.

No, no one changes their mind but it is fun to let off steam!

82Marine89
04-25-2010, 12:55 PM

The reason I posted this was because I've noticed it occurring more and more on political boards. I was wondering what happened to posters? Four years ago two posters could argue back and forth without calling each other a name like "Racist", "Homophobe", or "Politically Correct". Now it seems as if both liberals and conservatives are using the same playbook to stifle debate.

Kathianne
04-25-2010, 01:39 PM
The reason I posted this was because I've noticed it occurring more and more on political boards. I was wondering what happened to posters? Four years ago two posters could argue back and forth without calling each other a name like "Racist", "Homophobe", or "Politically Correct". Now it seems as if both liberals and conservatives are using the same playbook to stifle debate.

There have always been the name callers, no getting around them or getting rid of them either. Best hope is to be able to have more that can consider other points of view or appreciate information. I've found various places for my various interests.

Abbey Marie
04-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Internet sites will always have people who we feel are too focused on one issue, whether it be race or abortion or terrorism or political correctness. It's that single-minded passion that attracts many to such sites in the first place.

Debate sites also tend to attract people who like to create thinly-veiled posts that are really directed at one person they do not get along with. :dunno:

In the end, we are all better off if we respond to what we see as the wheat, and just ignore what we see as the chaff.

HogTrash
04-25-2010, 03:59 PM

Opinions?I have found that the people least likely to risk an open debate or honest discussion concerning sensitive subjects are those whose beliefs are based on political correctness.

99% of the time their only response to any subject or issue in which their beliefs have been predetermined for them by the rules and standards of 'Political Correctness', is to make an accusation of "racist", "xenophobe" or "homophobe".

As everyone is well aware, I have posted quite a few politically incorrect points of view and have posted links to provide my basis for those points of view.

The only rebuttal I ever receive is name-calling and denials of my facts with never a shred of evidence to dispute or disprove my links.

The video below is an excellent example...He is Dr Philippe Rushton presenting the results of years of study and research...He was attacked and accused of 'racism', along with anyone who presented his findings as facts.

Yes, that includes me and many others who do not base their beliefs on the rules of political correctness...Because we do not fear truth, we are branded as "racist".

SUBJECT: "It has been scientificly proven that there is a genetic correlation between race and intelligence".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6kD64iS5Ow&feature=relatedThis is as politicly incorrect as it gets!...I would love to see someone debate this???

But it cannot be scientificly debated or even rationally disputed.

The only argument is to accuse Dr Rushton of racism for his findings and me for posting it.

:dunno:

HogTrash
04-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Some on this board use the phrase "Politically Correct" as a means to shut down another poster. Is it because they are incapable of debate or they only are able to regurgitate what they hear on the talk radio and conservative media programs?

Opinions?You don't debate...You just spout the same old meaningless programmed nonsense that every other PC indoctrinated liberal rebutts with.

You got no meat to go with your potatoes, cupcake.

HogTrash
04-25-2010, 04:59 PM
The reason I posted this was because I've noticed it occurring more and more on political boards. I was wondering what happened to posters? Four years ago two posters could argue back and forth without calling each other a name like "Racist", "Homophobe", or "Politically Correct". Now it seems as if both liberals and conservatives are using the same playbook to stifle debate.The term "Politically Correct" is not a name, but a system of belief that many people now base their opinions on.

If you find it offensive, you should switch to the old tried and true system of 'common sense' to form your opinions.

It is much more reliable than political correctness, einstein...Following the crowd may be popular, but not very dignified.

SpidermanTUba
04-25-2010, 05:03 PM
"Political correctness" is mostly just a slogan used to stifle debate

Which debate?

Opinions?

Yeah. IMO righties should embrace political correctness, as its a way they can avoid revealing to others how bigoted they really are, without having to think much about it.

82Marine89
04-25-2010, 05:15 PM
You don't debate...You just spout the same old meaningless programmed nonsense that every other PC indoctrinated liberal rebutts with.

You got no meat to go with your potatoes, cupcake.

Name the debate and I'll meet you there. Actually, let's debate your fan favorite... equal rights for homosexuals.

As for calling someone politically correct, in your case it is a way to hide behind a lack of brain cells that fire in sequence.

HogTrash
04-25-2010, 05:26 PM
Name the debate and I'll meet you there. Actually, let's debate your fan favorite... equal rights for homosexuals.

As for calling someone politically correct, in your case it is a way to hide behind a lack of brain cells that fire in sequence.Which of our positions is in line with political correctness?...Yours or Mine?

82Marine89
04-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Which of our positions is in line with political correctness?...Yours or Mine?

Yelling "Political Correctness" is an excuse to get out of debating someone. Do you want to debate?

HogTrash
04-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Yelling "Political Correctness" is an excuse to get out of debating someone. Do you want to debate?Why didn't you answer my question?

crin63
04-25-2010, 06:20 PM
There's a, "One on One Debate" section for one of you to call the other out. Emmett used it to call me out.

82Marine89
04-25-2010, 06:57 PM
There's a, "One on One Debate" section for one of you to call the other out. Emmett used it to call me out.

He won't debate. He does nothing more than duck and hide when it comes to debate. Just I case he actually grows a set I will head over there and do so.

82Marine89
04-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Why didn't you answer my question?

Why won't you debate me?

82Marine89
04-25-2010, 06:59 PM
Will a staff member please open a thread in the One on One section allowing Hogwarts and me to debate equal rights for homosexuals

HogTrash
04-25-2010, 07:06 PM
Why won't you debate me?I never said I wouldn't...Now once again...Will you please answer my question?

82Marine89
04-25-2010, 07:27 PM
I never said I wouldn't...Now once again...Will you please answer my question?

When we debate.

Kathianne
04-25-2010, 07:34 PM
New thread in debate forum. Have fun!

HogTrash
04-25-2010, 07:43 PM
When we debate.No!...Answer it here and now.

82Marine89
04-25-2010, 08:19 PM
No!...Answer it here and now.

Your turn... (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=27522)

HogTrash
04-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Your turn... (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=27522)The question concerned "political correctness" and this is your PC thread.

Once again, the question was;

Originally Posted by HogTrash

If you won't respond here, there is no reason I should trust you to respond in a debate thread.

82Marine89
04-25-2010, 09:00 PM
The question concerned "political correctness" and this is your PC thread.

Once again, the question was;

If you won't respond here, there is no reason I should trust you to respond in a debate thread.

Take it to the Debate thread.

HogTrash
04-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Take it to the Debate thread.This question was asked here so I suggest you answer it here...Stop stalling or no debate, cupcake.

This is my last warning...If there is no debate it will be your fault for refusing to answer my question.

Originally Posted by HogTrash

82Marine89
04-25-2010, 09:36 PM
This question was asked here so I suggest you answer it here...Stop stalling or no debate, cupcake.

This is my last warning...If there is no debate it will be your fault for refusing to answer my question.

I told you I would answer it in the debate thread. Take it there and debate me one on one.

HogTrash
04-25-2010, 10:00 PM
I told you I would answer it in the debate thread. Take it there and debate me one on one.Your call...Apparently you didn't really wanna debate anway. :bye1:

jimnyc
04-26-2010, 06:40 AM
Guys, please, no more changing the text of another members words or user name. You can just as easily call the person the name of your choice in your own post. When I need to intervene it only makes me the bad guy. I want to be able to post and debate with everyone myself, but having to get involved in moderating with petty things only makes me look like I'm moderating too much and gives ammo to those who want to challenge me as staff/poster as a result. Please make my time here easier and lay off the things I have already asked before to cease.

82Marine89
04-26-2010, 08:16 AM
You got it Jimmy. Take care.