PDA

View Full Version : Purdue student's 'Boobquake' aims to prove cleric wrong

LiberalNation
04-24-2010, 05:38 PM
:dork:

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100424/NEWS02/100424003/1008/rss01

WEST LAFAYETTE, IND -- This scientific experiment is raising some eyebrows.

A Purdue University student is asking women around the world (see headlines) Monday to show a little cleavage, or some short shorts, as a humorous test to disprove an Iranian cleric’s theory that immodest dress has the power to make the Earth shake.

She calls it “boobquake,” and it has become an Internet and international sensation in just a few days.

Jennifer McCreight, a double major in genetics and evolution, was incredulous when she read news reports Monday that Iranian cleric Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi said promiscuous women were responsible for earthquakes.

Related
'Boobquake' headlines around the world

“Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which (consequently) increases earthquakes,” Sedighi was quoted as saying by Iranian media.

“As a scientist I had to challenge it,” McCreight said. “It started out as a sarcastic joke that I fired off before I went to watch ‘House.’ ”

Not expecting a major response McCreight, who writes frequently at her Blag Hag Web site, created a “boobquake” Facebook group to “help fight supernatural thinking and the oppression of women, just by showing your cleavage.”

Immediately, the joke positioned the 22-year-old senior as an unwitting spokeswoman for women’s rights and rational thinking. It’s also attracted some backlash because of McCreight’s testing methods.

In addition to more than 105,000 Facebook members by Friday evening saying they would partake in the experiment Monday, media from CNN, BBC and around the world have caught on to the craze.

darin
04-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Best idea ever. Funny -

-Cp and I were chatting on the phone; agree some of those radical Islamic dorks seem eerily familiar to us; remind us of loud-mouth "christian" preach-at-'ers...

Insein
04-25-2010, 11:32 AM
I approve of this experiment. I feel we should have tax payer money go to fund this. Every good looking female ages 18-45 should be made to where scantily clad clothing for a year so we can see how many earthquakes it causes. This is a very serious experiment. :boobies:

glockmail
04-25-2010, 11:42 AM
I sense an ulterior motive.

82Marine89
04-25-2010, 12:59 PM
I think we need some photos so we can judge if enough cleavage is being shown. :beer:

04-25-2010, 07:35 PM
And what on earth is she going to conclude if the opposite happens and earthquakes become more frequent? I doubt it would happen, but it might be amusing.

actsnoblemartin
04-25-2010, 09:34 PM
why are our only choices a burka or sluttiness? :poke: