PDA

View Full Version : Proposal to allow 18 to drink...

SpidermanTUba
04-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Proposal (for your state)-

Allow those between the ages of 18 and 21 to chose to EITHER be licensed drivers OR be allowed to purchase and consume alcohol in public and private.

Mr. P
04-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Interesting but unrealistic. Who's gonna take these drunks to work or school?

SpidermanTUba
04-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Interesting but unrealistic. Who's gonna take these drunks to work or school?

You might be surprised to find out there are places in the nation where you don't need a car to get around. In fact, in some places a car can be a burden (e.g. New York City).

This is especially true near college campuses. Most places - even that have shitty public transportation - will have markedly better public transit near campuses. If you wanna go off to college and get hammered every weekend - fine - but surrender your car keys and license, because history shows you can' t be trusted with both at this age.

At LSU we actually have a drunk bus that will pick up students drinking near campus free of charge.

DragonStryk72
04-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Actually, I would be in favor of just allowing drinking at 18. I mean, you get every other right at that point, except for the drinking. It's does nothing but put alcohol up on a pedestal.

It is not, and never was, about responsbility of drinking. It's a law built around the "demon alcohol".

Btw, are you espousing that mystically at 21, all of that lack of being taught how to drinnk responsibly just magically disappears? It doesn't work like that. No matter when the ability to drink legally is introduced, there are still going to be stupid people. I mean, We've had a stupid president, and he used to be an addict. Maybe, just maybe we're making too much of this, and would be better served by simply teaching our kids solid personal responsbility?

LiberalNation
04-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Can die for my country but not drink.....

hortysir
04-28-2010, 07:19 PM

Allow those between the ages of 18 and 21 to chose to EITHER be licensed drivers OR be allowed to purchase and consume alcohol in public and private.

Can die for my country but not drink.....

When I was stationed in Gt. Lakes, IL the law was that 18-20 yr. olds could drink a lower alcohol content beer but not hard booze until 21.
not that it made a lot of sense. Ya just drank MORE!!
Just throwing that out there!!

:cheers2:

Missileman
04-28-2010, 08:27 PM

What a poorly thought out proposal. A better one would be to keep the age at 21 except for anyone 18 or older who is in the military...old enough to get blown up, old enough to have a beer.

PostmodernProphet
04-28-2010, 09:05 PM
it's been done....

04-28-2010, 11:08 PM

I don't think that's a good idea at all. All the people who choose the alcohol will simply have an easier time buying alcohol to share with their friends who can drive them around.

It won't really fix any problems.

sybarite
04-29-2010, 11:48 AM
If you are a legal adult at 18, you are old enough to get married, have a family, get a full time job and support yourself and your family, join the military, etc., but can't stop by the local watering hole to get a drink with your co-workers after work. They should have the privileges every other adult has.

gabosaurus
04-29-2010, 12:14 PM
If you are a legal adult at 18, you are old enough to get married, have a family, get a full time job and support yourself and your family, join the military, etc., but can't stop by the local watering hole to get a drink with your co-workers after work. They should have the privileges every other adult has.

Good call.

Binky
04-29-2010, 03:49 PM

I remember back in the 1970's in Michigan, 18 yr olds were allowed to drink. What a mistake that was......Nothing but trouble. I was a barmaid at the time and they liked to start a lot of trouble. There was always chaos when those that young were in drinking.... Then, at some point, the law was changed back to 21.....

Not a smart idea to let people that young drink.....They're reckless and devil may care attitudes don't mix with booze and vehicles......

Gaffer
04-29-2010, 04:14 PM
I remember back in the 1970's in Michigan, 18 yr olds were allowed to drink. What a mistake that was......Nothing but trouble. I was a barmaid at the time and they liked to start a lot of trouble. There was always chaos when those that young were in drinking.... Then, at some point, the law was changed back to 21.....

Not a smart idea to let people that young drink.....They're reckless and devil may care attitudes don't mix with booze and vehicles......

That's why I think the drinking age should be 25. Even a bunch of 21 year olds will get real stupid real fast when drinking.

Binky
04-29-2010, 04:49 PM
That's why I think the drinking age should be 25. Even a bunch of 21 year olds will get real stupid real fast when drinking.

Yep, that's for sure....