PDA

View Full Version : It bugs me when somebody names their child something like 'Sunshine' or 'Charm'.

manu1959
04-25-2007, 10:26 PM
what a great pet peeve

shattered
04-25-2007, 10:27 PM
what a great pet peeve

"Strongly agree". :D

Hobbit
04-25-2007, 11:12 PM
"Strongly agree". :D

I hit agree. I mean, it's stupid, but at least it helps me identify brain-dead parents.

Nienna
04-26-2007, 06:20 AM
We have little girls named Heaven, Trinity, and Dare here. Serenity is a fairly popular name.

Mr. P
04-26-2007, 07:24 AM
what a great pet peeve

Or moonunit or peekaboo or .....drives me nuts.

Hagbard Celine
04-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Ze Germans actually have rules about this. They have a list of acceptable names and you have to get documentation and permission to name your kid something that is not on the list.

darin
04-26-2007, 09:34 AM
I know a girl named Cameo. :-/ I heard-tell a story about a girl named Female. Fee-Mah-Lee. The mother said "the doctor picked that name - we didn't know what to call her, so he just wrote fee-mah-lee on the Birth Certificate. We liked Fee-Mah-Le...so we kept it!"

Hagbard Celine
04-26-2007, 09:35 AM
I know a girl named Cameo. :-/ I heard-tell a story about a girl named Female. Fee-Mah-Lee. The mother said "the doctor picked that name - we didn't know what to call her, so he just wrote fee-mah-lee on the Birth Certificate. We liked Fee-Mah-Le...so we kept it!"

I've heard that one before. I think it's an urban legend, but I know people who swear by it.

darin
04-26-2007, 09:41 AM
I've heard that one before. I think it's an urban legend, but I know people who swear by it.

I heard a first-person account of the story. On a local radio show...he could have been lying.

shattered
04-26-2007, 09:42 AM

Cameo's actually a kinda cool name. Unique...

darin
04-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Cameo's actually a kinda cool name. Unique...

She's a cute girl - but c'mon? Cameo? as in "Cameo appearance'?

shattered
04-26-2007, 09:47 AM
She's a cute girl - but c'mon? Cameo? as in "Cameo appearance'?

*shrug* I didn't look at it that way.. I just looked at it as a unique name.. But, I'm also one of those people that can't give my pets "human" names, so..

KitchenKitten99
04-26-2007, 01:53 PM
Wasn't there a time when children were looked at as future adults and those who will inherit the earth, and not looked at like a pet or lifestyle accessory?

I can't stand people who name their kids odd names, or odd spellings of common names, or use a name that is trendy so that the name is 'dated'. Do you really think that a little old lady wants to sign her name "Apple" on her checks? Or how about the girl whose name is spelled so oddly, that people have trouble pronouncing it, thus she goes through life needing to correct them or spell it out when someone asks (like me!).

Really, I think that the celebrities who give their kids odd names are such ego-maniacs, that it seems more about them and their fame than the children themselves.

Nienna
04-26-2007, 02:01 PM
I can't stand people who name their kids odd names, or odd spellings of common names...

We have a kid in my son's class named Tieylor. :(

shattered
04-26-2007, 02:02 PM
My nephews name is Joshuah. The entire reason for adding that extra "h" on the end is the avoidance of an over abundance of "personalized" items.

KitchenKitten99
04-26-2007, 02:15 PM
We have a kid in my son's class named Tieylor. :(

and how is that pronounced? And is that a boy or girl?

my name is Lea, and you know how I hated (and still kind of do) that there was no 'h' on the end? I ALWAYS have to correct people who call me 'Lee' or when I tell them my name and they spell it wrong and I have to correct them when they confirm the spelling. Believe me, it is a curse. Which is why I gave my kids normal names (Nathan Jon & Benjamin Martin) because I know how it feels.

shattered
04-26-2007, 02:17 PM

my name is Lea, and you know how I hated (and still kind of do) that there was no 'h' on the end? I ALWAYS have to correct people who call me 'Lee' or when I tell them my name and they spell it wrong and I have to correct them when they confirm the spelling. Believe me, it is a curse. Which is why I gave my kids normal names (Nathan Jon & Benjamin Martin) because I know how it feels.

My guess is it's "Tyler".. (And, Jon/John can run in to the same problem. John is the most common spelling..)

Nienna
04-26-2007, 02:22 PM

It's pronounced like "Tyler."

I know your pain... I had an unusual name growing up, both first and last names. Was VERY glad to marry my husband and get a "normal" last name. :)

I guess we kinda did that to our oldest though... Abbie. My husband wanted it to be spelled "Abbey." But I think everyone can still figure it out. :)

KitchenKitten99
04-26-2007, 02:46 PM
My guess is it's "Tyler".. (And, Jon/John can run in to the same problem. John is the most common spelling..)

yeah, i know the jon/john thing, but it isn't like it is an odd/unusual spelling. Tim wanted him to have the same middle name as his friend and Nathan's Godfather, who is "Jon", because Tim is Jon's son's Godfather, whose name is Ethan Timothy. I actually didn't have a choice in the matter, and didn't have a problem, since it wasn't an odd spelling.

I know of a person whose name is Pepper White. I kid you not. He said his dad wanted a name that if it were in the paper or news for any reason, he would know it was likely his son. Pepper hates his first name and always has. I actually thought that was a nickname until he showed me his DL.

Abbey Marie
04-26-2007, 02:52 PM
I hit agree. I mean, it's stupid, but at least it helps me identify brain-dead parents.

:laugh2:

shattered
04-26-2007, 02:57 PM
I dunno.. I like unique names.. I grew up wishing I had one... I just don't care for the hippy-shit from the 60's and 70's as referenced in that poll... My absolute favorite name is Morgan, which can be for a guy (as proven by one of my best friends parents), or a girl (Morgan Fairchild is the only one that springs to mind)...

Abbey Marie
04-26-2007, 03:02 PM
I dunno.. I like unique names.. I grew up wishing I had one... I just don't care for the hippy-shit from the 60's and 70's as referenced in that poll... My absolute favorite name is Morgan, which can be for a guy (as proven by one of my best friends parents), or a girl (Morgan Fairchild is the only one that springs to mind)...

Surely you remember Captain Morgan. Although come to think of it, that may be his last name. ;>)

shattered
04-26-2007, 03:07 PM
Surely you remember Captain Morgan. Although come to think of it, that may be his last name. ;>)

Not a big boozehead, but you're right. :D:cheers2:

Abbey Marie
04-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Not a big boozehead, but you're right. :D:cheers2:

I don't know exactly what kind of liquor it is, but every summer there are bilboards all over I-95 adverstising the brand. Pirates always get my attention. :coffee:

KitchenKitten99
04-26-2007, 03:58 PM

Morgan isn't a unique name. Just uncommon as a first name until recently-last10 years or so.

I suppose it goes both ways- some of those that have odd names wish they had normal ones, and vice versa.

KitchenKitten99
04-26-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't know exactly what kind of liquor it is, but every summer there are bilboards all over I-95 adverstising the brand. Pirates always get my attention. :coffee:

a company could probably sell me anything that has Capt. Sparrow's cute mug on it... :p

gabosaurus
04-26-2007, 04:00 PM
In some European countries, you have to submit your name to a board that approves or denies it. This happened in Sweden recently where a mom wanted to name her child "Metallica" :laugh2:

KitchenKitten99
04-26-2007, 04:08 PM
In some European countries, you have to submit your name to a board that approves or denies it. This happened in Sweden recently where a mom wanted to name her child "Metallica" :laugh2:

and the libs want us to be like Europe... if they got their way, 90% of them would have to rename their kids.

While I don't like the government telling me what to do like that, I almost want to say 'good for them'. It seems like an unofficial contest to see who can get away with the oddest name for their kid, as if they are naming an animal.

Trigg
04-26-2007, 04:16 PM
One of my husbands cousins named her daughter Deja Sue (don't know how she spells it but that is how it sounds).

Weird

Mr. P
04-26-2007, 04:22 PM
I am so happy I was named Mr. P. :D

shattered
04-26-2007, 04:39 PM

You should go to Vegas and see the pirates that hang around Treasure Island. *droooooooool*

I tried to bring him home with me, but he said his wife might get annoyed.

KitchenKitten99
04-26-2007, 04:42 PM
You should go to Vegas and see the pirates that hang around Treasure Island. *droooooooool*

Wonder if his wife asks him to wear the costume in bed? :D

I saw them when I was there, but I wasn't close enough to see their faces in detail.

shattered
04-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Wonder if his wife asks him to wear the costume in bed? :D

I saw them when I was there, but I wasn't close enough to see their faces in detail.

Oh, I was, and got some dandy pics, too.. :D I'll have to see if I can get my favorite one scanned in..

Nienna
04-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Oh, I was, and got some dandy pics, too.. :D I'll have to see if I can get my favorite one scanned in..

Yes, do that, please. :)

shattered
04-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Yes, do that, please. :)

Ok. We haven't had some good eye candy threads here in quite awhile.. :)

Abbey Marie
04-26-2007, 10:24 PM

Lordy, I'm trying to picture them right now. They do have good teeth, right? :coffee:

Abbey Marie
04-26-2007, 10:25 PM

Vote number two: :thumb:

shattered
04-26-2007, 10:25 PM
Lordy, I'm trying to picture them right now. They do have good teeth, right? :coffee:

You kidding? They have...good hair.. Good eyes.. Good facial features.. Good lips.. Good chests.. Good hips.. Good legs... Nice tight pants.. Nice flowy shirts..

Abbey Marie
04-26-2007, 10:28 PM
You kidding? They have...good hair.. Good eyes.. Good facial features.. Good lips.. Good chests.. Good hips.. Good legs... Nice tight pants.. Nice flowy shirts..

Where is that blushing smiley when I need it!

shattered
04-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Where is that blushing smiley when I need it!

You mean the drooling one?

Abbey Marie
04-26-2007, 10:29 PM
You mean the drooling one?

That'll work.

jackass
04-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Ok. We haven't had some good eye candy threads here in quite awhile.. :)

Im sorry...you want Jim to post my pics again!?!?! :laugh2:

jackass
04-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Lets see...I have a very common name...Thomas...that I shorten Tom into Thom. You would be AMAZED at all the people who can pronounce it correctly.
I named my son Eammon (pronounced am UN). He was an Irish rebel leader. I didnt know that when I named him, but we liked the name
Daughter is Deirdre. (DEER dra).
I had a friend Chris Gay growing up. Can you believe what they naed his older brother??? Benjamin...yes Ben Gay!! That is a true story!!

Abbey Marie
04-27-2007, 02:43 PM

taps fingers on desk.

KitchenKitten99
04-27-2007, 02:59 PM
I can post what I have. Granted, they aren't up-close, but you can see them. We were on the bridge between the hotel and main strip sidewalk, right between the two 'sides'.

darin
05-30-2018, 02:58 AM

Gunny would like this post :)

Gunny
05-30-2018, 04:15 PM
Gunny would like this post :)My grandson's middle name is Morgan. First thing he does when you pick him up is smack you upside the head. And I'm NOT bsing.

Grandpa's Boy :happy0203: