PDA

View Full Version : Liberal Media Blames Corporate Greed For Oil Spill

red states rule
05-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Any any cause been determined for the explosion and spill - or are liberals just being liberals and attacking?

Does anyone know the background Donna Brazile has in the oil exploration business - besides her experience she has gained by gasing up her car at a gas station

Greed, negligence behind BP oil spill
By Donna Brazile, CNN Contributor

(CNN) -- I spent a restless night, worrying that another man-made disaster might devastate my beloved hometown, New Orleans, just as its post-Katrina motto "Recover, Rebuild, Rebirth" was becoming real.

The oil spill couldn't come at a worse time. Everybody was so up, waiting for the inauguration of our newly elected Mayor Mitch Landrieu.

The BP oil spill threatens New Orleans and the entire Gulf Coast in a way that's more insidious than Hurricane Katrina. After all, the failure of the levees and the response from the previous administration, widely criticized for incompetence and indifference, followed an act of nature: the destruction, immediate; the impact, obvious; and the pain and suffering, visible to all.

The BP disaster has only one cause: human greed, and the almost inevitable result, negligence. The immediate tragedy was that 11 people died. But the destruction that will result from BP's "crude river" will be long-term and the impact far from obvious. The "crude river" will spawn streams of suffering: economic, environmental and emotional.

So as the "Big Muddy" fights the "Big Cruddy," how do we assess the players? And what actions should be taken against rigged disasters, both once and future?

First, we must hold BP accountable and responsible. Was it an accident? Only if we define "accident" as negligence.

The failure of the "shear ram," the set of steel blades intended to slash through a pipe at the top of a well and close off the flow of crude, should not have surprised BP or the corporations that work for it. Eight years ago, the Minerals Management Service found that 50 percent of the shear rams tested failed. So calling the failure of the "last resort device" an accident is like calling the damage caused by a drunken driver an accident. Failure to take the proper precautions is not an accident; it's negligence.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/05/03/brazile.oil.new.orleans/

cat slave
05-03-2010, 11:25 PM
I dont happen to think it was an accident!

The liberal media will keep the pictures of dead sea turtles plastered across
the tv screens until people get so agitated and guilty that they will demand
cap n tax.

Need of energy to run our country, keep us comfortable and be productive is
why we need oil....I dont think greed has anything to do with it. BP is doing
everything it can to step up to the plate.

I dont think greed is limited to big business, just look at banks and the gov.

red states rule
05-04-2010, 04:28 AM
The accident has given the enviro wackos the excuse they need to go after "Big Oil"

Gibbs On BP: We'll 'Keep the Boot On Their Throat'

As the massive Gulf Coast oil spill continues to get worse, British Petroleum (BP), is "coming under mounting pressure," The Wall Street Journal reports. Since the accident, BP's stock market value has declined by roughly $25 billion, the AP reports, and the clean up will cost billions and could take years.

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs was asked yesterday about President Obama's approach to BP. "I point you to what [Interior] Secretary Salazar said about -- I think the phrase was -- at least the phrase I heard earlier in the week with him was to keep the boot on their throat. So I think that kind of sums up in that Western Colorado way how -- what we're trying to convey."

The company, which has done much to put forth a "green" image, insofar as changing its logo to green and yellow and its tag line to "beyond petroleum," has also invested hundreds of millions in to alternative energy research. Those efforts mean little now, as the company faces its biggest challenge yet.

http://www.mediabistro.com/prnewser/crisis_communications/gibbs_on_bp_well_keep_the_boot_on_their_throat_160 269.asp

namvet
05-04-2010, 09:08 AM

cap n tax.

I agree. im starting to think it was no accident.

sybarite
05-04-2010, 02:31 PM

cap n tax.

I agree. I don't think this was an accident. Just as Obama gave the go ahead for off shore drilling, OMG, just look what happens when you drill off shore!!! See, we told you it won't work!:rolleyes:

gabosaurus
05-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Actually, you can blame the cozy relationship between oil-friendly prez Dubya and those who wanted to get around the rules.
Read it here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100506/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_blowout_plan

cat slave
05-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Actually, you can blame the cozy relationship between oil-friendly prez Dubya and those who wanted to get around the rules.
Read it here:

Of course! Is that a recording????

Insein
05-06-2010, 04:54 PM
Read it here:

Second paragraph of the article.

The Minerals Management Service, an arm of the Interior Department known for its cozy relationship with major oil companies, says it issued the rule relief because some of the industrywide mandates weren't practical for all of the exploratory and production projects operating in the Gulf region.

Am I reading an opinion piece or a news article? Second paragraph has subjective info and Im expected to read on and have facts? This is what is wrong with the media. IF they can't keep their own bias out of the simplest of reports, how do we take what they say as truth?