PDA

View Full Version : Obey's Retirement More Bad News for Dems

red states rule
05-05-2010, 07:31 PM
It is looking more and more like Dems are going to get crushed in November, and David Obey is giving up on his reelection chances

Bone-tired and facing a tough political landscape at home, House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey announced Wednesday that he won’t seek reelection, ending a 41-year House career stamped by his unique talent and tempestuousness.

Rarely does a committee chairman of such power just walk away, and Obey’s decision is a blow to Democrats and marks the passing of one of the last major leaders of the 1970’s reforms that reshaped the modern House.

“I am ready to turn the page, and frankly, I think that my district is ready for someone new to make a fresh start,” Obey said in an afternoon press conference in his committee’s meeting room.

Despite poor poll numbers at home, he insisted that he could win reelection in November but admitted he feared another reapportionment fight in the next Congress and a shift in the public mood against the aggressive public investments which have been his trademark.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/36812.html#ixzz0n6YlO145

Gaffer
05-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Somethings in the wind. There's something like 40 dems "retiring" or getting out, with every excuse they can come up with. No will admit they are looking at defeat in the up coming election. It seems more are jumping ship every week. So why did they go against their constituents and commit political suicide? Just for the party? I suspect they are taking their money and running and its because something big is in the works. Power hungry liberals don't just give up their power and walk away.

red states rule
05-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Somethings in the wind. There's something like 40 dems "retiring" or getting out, with every excuse they can come up with. No will admit they are looking at defeat in the up coming election. It seems more are jumping ship every week. So why did they go against their constituents and commit political suicide? Just for the party? I suspect they are taking their money and running and its because something big is in the works. Power hungry liberals don't just give up their power and walk away.

They are banking on the fact CONSERVATIVES will not be able to override Obama's veto

However, if CONSERVATIVES and the Tea Party score BIG gaines they will have something Dems can't beat - the people

Dems see a political tsunami heading right for them, and there is not a damn thing they can do to stop it

Gaffer
05-05-2010, 08:09 PM
They are banking on the fact CONSERVATIVES will not be able to override Obama's veto

However, if CONSERVATIVES and the Tea Party score BIG gaines they will have something Dems can't beat - the people

Dems see a political tsunami heading right for them, and there is not a damn thing they can do to stop it

I know Red and I fully agree, but what makes me wonder is that many committed political suicide to pass the HC bill and they knew it. They are now jumping ship because they know they can't win. The people are out to get rid of them. They passed the bill knowing this would happen. The media still supports them and cheers them on. The media doesn't even attempt to hide it's leftist agenda anymore. It's not politics as usual any more. There's something nasty in the air and it ain't a pig farm.

red states rule
05-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I know Red and I fully agree, but what makes me wonder is that many committed political suicide to pass the HC bill and they knew it. They are now jumping ship because they know they can't win. The people are out to get rid of them. They passed the bill knowing this would happen. The media still supports them and cheers them on. The media doesn't even attempt to hide it's leftist agenda anymore. It's not politics as usual any more. There's something nasty in the air and it ain't a pig farm.

It could also be they bought into the crap the liberal media was "reporting" how they would lose if they did NOT ram this BS down our throats

Damn, I like the idea of Paul Ryan being elected Speaker of the House