PDA

View Full Version : TN floods

cat slave
05-05-2010, 11:35 PM
While it probably hasnt made a lot of air time on tv/cable news, Nashville and
western and southwestern counties of TN have been hit with a 500 year
flood. A lot of people have died and a huge number of people are completely
wiped out of their homes and all their possessions. At best the few people
who had flood insurance finds that it only covered the structure, the contents are just plain gone.

There is one thing that has struck me as politically incorrect as it is, just
compare the grit and self reliance and cohesive community action in this
disaster compered to the whining and demands of the people of NO.

Guess what, just today has FEMA gotten its bureaucratically challenged
arm of this (BOs) government in gear!

People are coming from all over to help strangers and they are so grateful.
Contrast that to NO.

Flood victims dont expect to have everything done and given to them....
they are picking up, cleaning up and helping each other!

I just find the contrast striking.

Call it what you will but the facts speak for themselves.

krisy
05-06-2010, 01:09 PM
I've been talking about this to my husband for a couple of days. This has not recieved anywhere near the press Katrina got. Fox news just did a story on this. Makes me wonder if maybe they were ignored because its not a large black population? The guys just interviewed on Fox said whole zip codes are under water. Why wasn't response faster? Wheres the outrage from the likes of Jesse Jakson?

LiberalNation
05-06-2010, 01:25 PM
5 dead in KY.

cat slave
05-06-2010, 08:35 PM
I've been talking about this to my husband for a couple of days. This has not recieved anywhere near the press Katrina got. Fox news just did a story on this. Makes me wonder if maybe they were ignored because its not a large black population? The guys just interviewed on Fox said whole zip codes are under water. Why wasn't response faster? Wheres the outrage from the likes of Jesse Jakson?

I think it is apparent, guess we are not black...enough!

Well, people have pulled together and taken care of themselves and their
neighbors and as of yesterday FEMA has started to kick in. Dont know
how much help they will be!

We are more east and had no disaster but Ive got a lot of friends there
since I lived there all my life until 8 years ago.

sybarite
05-06-2010, 09:58 PM
I guess you're not going to get air time if you don't whine enough like they did in New Orleans!! When your used to sucking off the government teat and suddenly it's not there, panic sets in and God forbid you have to make your own way in the world.!! Kind of like a four year old that just got separated from their nanny!:rolleyes:

namvet
05-07-2010, 08:42 AM
I remember the big flood of 93. which i think included N/S Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, and Illinois. wife and I left town just a day or 2 before the skies opened up. we drove to Fla and had no idea what was going on behind us. but man on the trip back what a shock when we got to the Mississippi !!!!