PDA

View Full Version : Amnesty for illegal Phoenix Suns fans

red states rule
05-06-2010, 05:51 AM
So the owner of the Suns thinks the new AZ law is unconstitutional and needs to be repealed

Imagine thousands of people were sneaking into Phoenix Suns games without tickets. The management would quickly crack down on the "undocumented spectators." Security personnel would engage in "profiling" - singling out younger male fans wandering around without obvious seats. They would want to see some "papers" - ticket stubs. Those lacking documentation would be deported out of the arena, or, in some cases, arrested.

Suns owner Robert Sarver seems to think that the rules that apply to his for-profit local monopoly should not apply to the state of Arizona. After a unanimous team vote held at his house, Mr. Sarver ordered his players to wear "Los Suns" jerseys during last night's Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals. The move is an explicit protest against the new immigration law, which Mr. Sarver says calls into question "our basic principles of equal rights and protection under the law."

The mangled Spanish jerseys (a literal translation would be "Los Soles") were first produced four years ago as part of the NBA's annual "Noche Latina" marketing campaign. Saskia Sorrosa, NBA senior director of Hispanic marketing, explained that "Noche Latina is an opportunity for us to thank the Hispanic community for their support and showcase how their pride and passion impact our teams and players." The campaign attempts to tread the fine line between marketing and pandering to a demographic that makes up an estimated 15 percent of the NBA fan base.

Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said the point of the jerseys was not to make "a huge political statement" but to "celebrate the diversity that exists here in Arizona." Yet diversity is not at issue, criminality is. Arizona's immigration law is not, as its frenzied detractors seem to think, a legal form of ethnic cleansing. It simply seeks to put into effect the existing federal laws that the Obama administration is either unwilling or incapable of enforcing.

With 70 percent of Arizonans backing the tough immigration stance, the Suns risk alienating a significant number of fans. ESPN asked whether it was appropriate for the Suns to "take a stand against the Arizona immigration law" in an online poll yesterday. Fifty-seven percent in Arizona answered no, slightly higher than the 55 percent negative response nationally.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/may/06/amnesty-for-illegal-phoenix-suns-fans/

Monkeybone
05-06-2010, 06:19 AM
well yah... they need those gang bangers to keep buying jerseys to wear...

or do they not do that anymore? I am out of the loop...

Insein
05-06-2010, 09:07 AM
ESPN had 2 articles yesterday that blew up to over 6k posts each. Complete nonsense story. What I don't get is the owner basically alienated his paying fanbase to make a political statement. Good business move?

actsnoblemartin
05-08-2010, 12:39 AM
I called them to voice my concerns, they never called me back

cowards :slap: