PDA

View Full Version : Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

Monkeybone
05-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Load of horse crap.

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today." seriously... that is ridiculous.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36981179/ns/local_news-san_francisco_bay_area_ca/

cat slave
05-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Its obscene and un American! They should have been wearing the American
Flag and carrying a Confederate one!!!! Piss 'um off good!

krisy
05-06-2010, 01:03 PM
WTF?!

I don't give a squat whose holiday it is,they live in America and enjoy the freedoms our flag represent.

If that were my kids school,they would be hearing my opinion loud and clear.

DragonStryk72
05-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Okay, reading this article a bit more, these kids decided to do this on Cinco de Mayo particularly. Now, yeah, it may not seem like that big a deal, but it would be the same thing as a bunch of Mexican kids deciding to wear Mexican flag bandanas and T-shirts to Fourth of July celebrations. Doing such is a dick thing to do, which is whay they were more politely told.They were given options, such as going home and changing, turning the t-shirts inside out, or not having tried to start crap in the first place.

This was not about individuality, as they were all wearing the same things, it was really about being a bunch of jackasses. What is their given reason for doing this? There isn't one, they used "patriotism" as a crutch excuse to be able to act stupid

LiberalNation
05-06-2010, 02:06 PM
they were trying to start a fight with the hispanics, even so freedom of speech applies, don't be a censorship nazi.

Trigg
05-06-2010, 02:17 PM
they were trying to start a fight with the hispanics, even so freedom of speech applies, don't be a censorship nazi.

Completely agree!!!

They were wearing the American flag in America. So they picked this day to do it, so what! Some students were upset by it, again, so what!

If students want to celebrate cinco de mayo, fine. But, don't try to claim that raising the Flag is disrespectful.

my sister celebrates Fourth of July in Finland with her kids. No one makes concessions for her. She simply celebrates with her friends since it isn't a Finish holiday. Same applies with cinco de mayo.

LiberalNation
05-06-2010, 02:20 PM
If a fight had broken out and people hurt disrupting the education of all would you still be for it.

Trigg
05-06-2010, 02:24 PM
If a fight had broken out and people hurt disrupting the education of all would you still be for it.

whoever started (threw the first punch) the fight should be suspended in that instance. Cinco de mayo isn't an American holiday, if people want to celebrate it fine, that's their choice. It isn't disrespectful to not celebrate it though and those kids were doing nothing wrong wearing the American flag.

I wouldn't move to Mexico, throw a huge 4th party and DEMAND that the Mexican flag not be flown. It's assinine.

LiberalNation
05-06-2010, 02:25 PM
agreed, 5 day suspension is crazy and that school needs sued.

Trigg
05-06-2010, 02:37 PM
agreed, 5 day suspension is crazy and that school needs sued.

Farther down in the article.

The boys will not be suspended and were allowed to return to school Thursday. We spotted one of them when he got to campus -- and, yes, he was sporting an American flag T-shirt.

It wouldn't surprise me if the parents still decided to sue. The principle was WAY out of line.

sybarite
05-06-2010, 03:14 PM
If the Hispanics want to wear Mexican colors on the 4th of July, it may be disrespectful, but it is their right to do so, and the principal would have no right to suspend them or make them change shirts, just as he had no right to reprimand these students for wearing American flags on their shirts.

sybarite
05-06-2010, 03:28 PM

If a fight would have broke out because someone was exercising their constitutional rights then so be it. Maybe these students were trying to send a message that they will not bow down to the politically correct, and were the only ones that had the guts to show the school that this is still America. Many adults could learn a few things from these students when it comes to standing up and acknowledging what's right.

LiberalNation
05-06-2010, 04:28 PM
free speech only applies till school disruption occurs in public school.

05-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I don't care about cinco de mayo. I wouldn't cease to wear a patriotic shirt because of it. This is America.

sybarite
05-06-2010, 05:22 PM
free speech only applies till school disruption occurs in public school.

If American citizens would have surrendered free speech just because it might cause a disruption, this country would have ceased to exist a long time ago!!

DragonStryk72
05-06-2010, 05:36 PM
If a fight would have broke out because someone was exercising their constitutional rights then so be it. Maybe these students were trying to send a message that they will not bow down to the politically correct, and were the only ones that had the guts to show the school that this is still America. Many adults could learn a few things from these students when it comes to standing up and acknowledging what's right.

So, question, if you had to move to another country, umm, we'll use Ireland, would you still be proud of your home country? According to you, you lose the right to celebrate the 4th of July if you're not living in the United States.

This wasn't about the flag. The flag was an excuse to start crap, and that's what was being stopped, not patriotism.

jimnyc
05-06-2010, 05:43 PM
So, question, if you had to move to another country, umm, we'll use Ireland, would you still be proud of your home country? According to you, you lose the right to celebrate the 4th of July if you're not living in the United States.

This wasn't about the flag. The flag was an excuse to start crap, and that's what was being stopped, not patriotism.

I'd still be proud to be an American if I moved to Ireland, but I wouldn't find it appropriate to expect the Irish to not wear anything showing off their flag in the 4th of July. This isn't about the Mexicans being allowed to be proud of their heritage but US citizens being told they can't wear their colors on another nations "holiday". As Americans, we should be able to wear our colors 365days a year if we want to. If some kids started fights with the Mexicans over something, that's different, but it seems to me that their shirts were simply censored as a precaution.

DragonStryk72
05-06-2010, 06:27 PM
I'd still be proud to be an American if I moved to Ireland, but I wouldn't find it appropriate to expect the Irish to not wear anything showing off their flag in the 4th of July. This isn't about the Mexicans being allowed to be proud of their heritage but US citizens being told they can't wear their colors on another nations "holiday". As Americans, we should be able to wear our colors 365days a year if we want to. If some kids started fights with the Mexicans over something, that's different, but it seems to me that their shirts were simply censored as a precaution.

right, except those kids, I guarantee you, do not dress like that the rest of the time. We'll take the earlier example: Someone you are directly working with, who knows you and dislikes you, purposely on the 4th of July, knowing you'll wear an American flag, wears Irish colors just to smack you for being an American in "his" country. This is what happened, and the students were given a chance to stand it down, and chose to go home rather than cooperate.

There is nothing special on May 5th except for this holiday, they weren't working a rally, nothing named in the article, save for Cinco de Mayo. The 1st Amendment may allow for people to be assholes, but it also allows them to get nailed for said opinions as well.

jimnyc
05-06-2010, 06:33 PM
right, except those kids, I guarantee you, do not dress like that the rest of the time. We'll take the earlier example: Someone you are directly working with, who knows you and dislikes you, purposely on the 4th of July, knowing you'll wear an American flag, wears Irish colors just to smack you for being an American in "his" country. This is what happened, and the students were given a chance to stand it down, and chose to go home rather than cooperate.

There is nothing special on May 5th except for this holiday, they weren't working a rally, nothing named in the article, save for Cinco de Mayo. The 1st Amendment may allow for people to be assholes, but it also allows them to get nailed for said opinions as well.

So now the 1st Amendment doesn't allow for someone to be patriotic to their country and wear a shirt with their flag on it? But at the same time, it protects those who wear the shirt of a foreign country?

Unless they did something wrong, punishing them on perception alone is wrong. What if I go to the St. Patrick's day parade in NYC wearing my American flag shirt, should I expect reprisals for doing so? What if I did so at the Puerto Rican day parade? As Americans, we should subdue OUR pride when people want to celebrate a foreign country?

Unless someone actually did something wrong with their flag shirt on, the treatment to both should be equal.

sybarite
05-06-2010, 09:35 PM

That depends on my home country and the way they treated me. If I moved to another country, that means that new country held something better for me and I would assimilate the best I could. I would not be waving my home country's flag down main street, demanding my new country speak my language, and try to change THEIR ways to MY ways.

I don't care what the reason is that they wore American flags. IT'S THEIR RIGHT AS AMERICAN CITIZENS TO DO SO!! If the Mexicans took offense, GO BACK TO M....E......X........I.......C........O!!!!!!!!!!! ! This is AMERICA!!!!!! SHEESH!!!!

DragonStryk72
05-07-2010, 02:52 AM
So now the 1st Amendment doesn't allow for someone to be patriotic to their country and wear a shirt with their flag on it? But at the same time, it protects those who wear the shirt of a foreign country?

Unless they did something wrong, punishing them on perception alone is wrong. What if I go to the St. Patrick's day parade in NYC wearing my American flag shirt, should I expect reprisals for doing so? What if I did so at the Puerto Rican day parade? As Americans, we should subdue OUR pride when people want to celebrate a foreign country?

Unless someone actually did something wrong with their flag shirt on, the treatment to both should be equal.

That isn't patriotism, Jim, not in my book. If you were purposely doing it to be a dick, or just to get attention? Yes, because you're being a dick, and I would hope the first people would be the ones calling you out on dishonoring the flag you're wearing in order to be a dick. See the difference? Yeah, you're free to say what you want, but I am free to have a serious problem with it, and reprimand you verbally for it. You have the right to be treated like the dick you are being.

What is their stated objection to Cinco de Mayo? It doesn't say the school was forcing any students to celebrate it, nothing, just that it was the Cinco de Mayo, and that the school obviously has people celebrating it, as a part of their cultural history (much like st. paddy's day is not an american holiday, it's an irish one, and we don't even do it as the holy it is in Ireland. We use it as an excuse to go on a bender).

DragonStryk72
05-07-2010, 02:59 AM
That depends on my home country and the way they treated me. If I moved to another country, that means that new country held something better for me and I would assimilate the best I could. I would not be waving my home country's flag down main street, demanding my new country speak my language, and try to change THEIR ways to MY ways.

I don't care what the reason is that they wore American flags. IT'S THEIR RIGHT AS AMERICAN CITIZENS TO DO SO!! If the Mexicans took offense, GO BACK TO M....E......X........I.......C........O!!!!!!!!!!! ! This is AMERICA!!!!!! SHEESH!!!!

Oh, so you would simply stop being proud of being American, okay.

The students were not trying to change anyone's ways, just have their holiday in peace. I don't see you breaking up Chinese New Year, so why this? What's the problem? Further, I believe that using the flag as an excuse to be a dick to others is just plain dishonorable.

I am free to say what I wish, but other people are therefore free to interpret it how they wish, and in this case, they got clipped for it by the school. You can be a patriot without wearing an american flag t-shirt to school, and without flag bandanas. So what was their message? Can't find it in the article anywhere, can you? Yeah, that's cause there wasn't one. It had nothing to do with freedom, it had to do with finding an excuse to be a shit to others they don't like. They got punished, plain and simple, and it likely won't even matter to them.

jimnyc
05-07-2010, 06:18 AM
That isn't patriotism, Jim, not in my book. If you were purposely doing it to be a dick, or just to get attention? Yes, because you're being a dick, and I would hope the first people would be the ones calling you out on dishonoring the flag you're wearing in order to be a dick. See the difference? Yeah, you're free to say what you want, but I am free to have a serious problem with it, and reprimand you verbally for it. You have the right to be treated like the dick you are being.

What is their stated objection to Cinco de Mayo? It doesn't say the school was forcing any students to celebrate it, nothing, just that it was the Cinco de Mayo, and that the school obviously has people celebrating it, as a part of their cultural history (much like st. paddy's day is not an american holiday, it's an irish one, and we don't even do it as the holy it is in Ireland. We use it as an excuse to go on a bender).

You see, the problem here is that both you and the school are being presumptuous. Until the kids actually do something wrong they should NEVER be punished for wearing the American Flag colors. If a legal Mexican immigrant wants to wear the Mexican colors on the 4th of July, should his freedom to display the colors be subdued? If that happened to just one Mexican the ACLU would file a suit. You assume the kids wanted to be dicks. The school assumes they want to start trouble. I assume they want to be patriotic towards THEIR country to offset the Mexican colors. But with each instance there is no crime committed and no violations broken. They were punished for no other reason than perception and wearing the Flag colors.

If I had to be in NYC on the day of the Puerto Rican day parade, I would purposely wear the Red, White & Blue to show MY colors - and NOBODY would have the right to take that away from me. Should the police working the parade ask me to take it off out of respect to the PR's? Should I not be allowed along the parade route?

Now I know a school is different than a public roadway, but in my opinion, NO American should EVER be asked to remove our nations colors unless they actually did something wrong or committed a crime.

LiberalNation
05-07-2010, 07:21 AM
wearing a flag bandana to start a fight or race riot isn't patriotic but free speech trumps all.

sybarite
05-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Oh, so you would simply stop being proud of being American, okay.

The students were not trying to change anyone's ways, just have their holiday in peace. I don't see you breaking up Chinese New Year, so why this? What's the problem? Further, I believe that using the flag as an excuse to be a dick to others is just plain dishonorable.

I am free to say what I wish, but other people are therefore free to interpret it how they wish, and in this case, they got clipped for it by the school. You can be a patriot without wearing an american flag t-shirt to school, and without flag bandanas. So what was their message? Can't find it in the article anywhere, can you? Yeah, that's cause there wasn't one. It had nothing to do with freedom, it had to do with finding an excuse to be a shit to others they don't like. They got punished, plain and simple, and it likely won't even matter to them.

What you're asking is how I would feel in a hypothetical situation. I am extremely proud to be an American. If I were treated that badly that I would have to move to another country, my feelings might change. You would have to be in that situation to know how you would feel.

Were they wearing the flag on that day to cause problems? Possibly. If they were, the other students had the right to voice their opinion about it, just as the students that wore the flag had their right to voice theirs. The line was crossed however, when the principal violated their constitutional rights by making them take the apparel off. We still live by the constitution in this country and the principal crossed a legal line.

jimnyc
05-07-2010, 07:59 AM
wearing a flag bandana to start a fight or race riot isn't patriotic but free speech trumps all.

Did they start a fight or a race riot?

SassyLady
05-07-2010, 11:14 AM

I agree with you 100% Sybarite! If one relocates to another country because they think that country has more to offer then they need to assimilate......... wear the flag of their new country on their national holiday.

It really frosts me when people from other countries are afforded more rights and concessions than Americans are because we might "offend" them or be seen as "dicks".

Dragon - if you think wearing the American flag on cinco de mayo, or St. Patrick's day means someone is a dick then you seriously have problems with being an American. As an American we should be proud to wear our country's symbolism every day - EVEN IF IT OFFENDS SOMEONE! And if someone from another country is offended then I agree with Sybarite --- they can go home to their own country where they can celebrate their country and heritage every day.

But, with an example like our current president (who refuses to wear a flag lapel pin) no wonder people think it's shameful to wear American flag symbolism.

BoogyMan
05-07-2010, 12:29 PM

So, that is what they were intending to do? Really? Can you point to the fight or race riot that took place?

actsnoblemartin
05-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Fuck San Fag Sicko

Load of horse crap.

seriously... that is ridiculous.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36981179/ns/local_news-san_francisco_bay_area_ca/

Kathianne
05-08-2010, 04:22 AM

Actually in many countries you might be correct, I may well not have the right to celebrate the 4th of July, proudly.

Let's say that I could though. Let's say that there were many of my ex-patriots with me in a high school. What you seem to be arguing is that the students that are citizens of that country, should not be allowed the freedoms they have the other 364 days of the year. For that one day, they should either get with my plan or at the least, ignore it.

Now if the school allows all to wear their 'colors' on every other day, they haven't the right to limit my ability to wear it on 'your' day.

LiberalNation
05-08-2010, 09:11 AM
So, that is what they were intending to do? Really? Can you point to the fight or race riot that took place?

so we don't wear the flag any other day of the year but when cinco de mayo comes around my god lets me patriots, riighhhtttt. No incident occured because the school stepped in before one could.

jimnyc
05-08-2010, 09:33 AM
so we don't wear the flag any other day of the year but when cinco de mayo comes around my god lets me patriots, riighhhtttt. No incident occured because the school stepped in before one could.

So the next time someone steps in when you wear a "democrat, lesbian, obama..." shirt or cap because they THINK it may cause an issue - you're ok with that?

LiberalNation
05-08-2010, 09:34 AM
if I'm in a public high school and trying to start a fight........

jimnyc
05-08-2010, 09:35 AM
if I'm in a public high school and trying to start a fight........

Again with the presumptions... Do we now start punishing people on "what ifs"? I find it funny coming from someone who supports the burning of the American Flag.

LiberalNation
05-08-2010, 09:36 AM
Oh I support their right to wear it. Typical high school stunt and not very creative but go you. The admins were trying to protect all the students though and prevent disruption.

jimnyc
05-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Oh I support their right to wear it. Typical high school stunt and not very creative but go you. The admins were trying to protect all the students though and prevent disruption.

Is that why they have since sent out an apology to the entire district and their families, and have stated they would never do so again?

Again, citizens should not be punished unless they actually do something wrong. Even if they did wear the US colors as a "message" to Mexicans - this is America!!! Imagine if you were in Mexico on the 4th of July and a Mexican had the audacity to wear their colors on that day. How very wrong of them to support their country, IN their country, on a holiday for the USA.

LiberalNation
05-08-2010, 09:52 AM
they only send out the apology cuz people like u was giving them a way to go.

jimnyc
05-08-2010, 10:00 AM
they only send out the apology cuz people like u was giving them a way to go.

And you know this how? I think it's more like someone overstepped their boundaries and the district stepped in to correct their actions.

What about all the other holidays that celebrate events from foreign countries, should students be banned from wearing the US colors then too? Ramadan? Canada Day? Bastille Day? Chinese New Year?