PDA

View Full Version : What New Orleans has that you do not

SpidermanTUba
05-08-2010, 03:02 AM
I'm going to start off this post being fair...

by pointing out what NOLA does not have.

We don't have the best public school system ...
We don't have the lowest crime rate...
We don't have the Olive Garden...
We have less than 1 Starbucks per 100,000 residents...
We don't have pristine ski slopes...

Now I will tell you what we do have that you don't...

Freedom-
I can walk to the store, buy a beer, crack it open, and drink it on the way home - and I don't live in the boonies, I live in the city.

Brass Bands-
A couple of weeks ago on esplanade they had a triatholon going down one lane and a 2nd line parade going down the other. You may have a triatholon where you live, but you don't have 2nd line brass bands, and you certainly don't have 2nd line brass bands and a triatholon sharing the same street. And you won't get this kind of music anywhere else in the world - unless you're fortunate to have a New Orleans band coming through.

Jazz Funerals-
We have jazz funerals at any time in any place. I woke up a couple of weeks ago to one going down my street, a herse, a band, and 20 mourners, very small. They played funeral music on my street corner for 30 minutes. You will never wake up to something like that because they do not have them where you live.

Food-
If you want to go out for a good meal, you have to actually decide where you want to go. We can take the phone book, throw a dart at the restaurant section, and be guaranteed culinary delight.

No snow-
Though this may not apply so some of my fellow southerners - snow is not a problem here. You will never have to wake up in the morning, put on 58263 layers of clothes, and trudge out to the car, slipping on the ice cracking your head on the way, to get the snow off the windshield and pray she starts. Other New Orleanians may not appreciate the lack of snow - but having lived in places where it snows - I do. snow sucks.

Mardi Gras Indians-
You don't have Mardi Gras Indians. We do. They exist nowhere in the Universe but here. If you wanna see one, you'll have to get up early Mardi Gras day. Or check them out St. Joseph's day or Super Sunday. Or look at my avatar.

Mardi Gras-
Speaking of Mardi Gras Indians - if you're not in Louisiana, you don't have Mardi Gras. Unless you in Mobile, in which case, you have a sucky Mardi Gras (don't mean to rag on Mobile, its actually a great place, but their Mardi Gras pales in comparison). I'm sure you have plenty of holidays that act as pretenses to having a good time - 4th of July, Thanksgiving, etc. We have those, too. But we have a holiday that is dedicated to good times, without pretense or excuse - you don't.

Pride-
Most of the people where you live are trying as hard as fuck to move away - people where we live will do anything they can to stay here. Its called pride.

To those of you who just hate for hate's sake - fuck you , suck on it, I have a better life than you.

To the rest of you - if you want to see something UNIQUELY AMERICAN - that you will get nowhere else in the world - I would like to help you see it.I can provide advice on what to do in the city, and if the timing is right, I will be your personal guide. Email me at spidermantuba@gmail.com

P.S. - my entire state has shit you will never see where you live. New Orleans is just the most prominent example.

jimnyc
05-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Freedom-
I can walk to the store, buy a beer, crack it open, and drink it on the way home - and I don't live in the boonies, I live in the city.

That's great, I'm sure many other cities would be proud to have people drinking alcohol in public all over the place. Likely the main reason why NO smells like piss.

Brass Bands-
A couple of weeks ago on esplanade they had a triatholon going down one lane and a 2nd line parade going down the other. You may have a triatholon where you live, but you don't have 2nd line brass bands, and you certainly don't have 2nd line brass bands and a triatholon sharing the same street. And you won't get this kind of music anywhere else in the world - unless you're fortunate to have a New Orleans band coming through.

Won't miss it. Don't give a crap about triathlons or brass bands.

Jazz Funerals-
We have jazz funerals at any time in any place. I woke up a couple of weeks ago to one going down my street, a herse, a band, and 20 mourners, very small. They played funeral music on my street corner for 30 minutes. You will never wake up to something like that because they do not have them where you live.

And I would want to hear this music when someone dies, why?

Food-
If you want to go out for a good meal, you have to actually decide where you want to go. We can take the phone book, throw a dart at the restaurant section, and be guaranteed culinary delight.

Same goes in NYC, all depends on your tastes. You can probably get certain dishes there that you can't get elsewhere and vice versa.

No snow-
Though this may not apply so some of my fellow southerners - snow is not a problem here. You will never have to wake up in the morning, put on 58263 layers of clothes, and trudge out to the car, slipping on the ice cracking your head on the way, to get the snow off the windshield and pray she starts. Other New Orleanians may not appreciate the lack of snow - but having lived in places where it snows - I do. snow sucks.

Pay a local kid a few bucks to do all the shoveling and then enjoy the snow in my 4 wheel drive. Nothing like taking the wife and kid out for some sleigh riding and hot chocolate.

Mardi Gras Indians-
You don't have Mardi Gras Indians. We do. They exist nowhere in the Universe but here. If you wanna see one, you'll have to get up early Mardi Gras day. Or check them out St. Joseph's day or Super Sunday. Or look at my avatar.

No thanks, no interest at all.

Mardi Gras-
Speaking of Mardi Gras Indians - if you're not in Louisiana, you don't have Mardi Gras. Unless you in Mobile, in which case, you have a sucky Mardi Gras (don't mean to rag on Mobile, its actually a great place, but their Mardi Gras pales in comparison). I'm sure you have plenty of holidays that act as pretenses to having a good time - 4th of July, Thanksgiving, etc. We have those, too. But we have a holiday that is dedicated to good times, without pretense or excuse - you don't.

Been to Mardi Gras, a bunch of drunks, shitty music - all centered around the nastiest piss smell I've ever had the displeasure of being around.

Pride-
Most of the people where you live are trying as hard as fuck to move away - people where we live will do anything they can to stay here. Its called pride.

I saw the "pride" of NO's finest during Katrina as the proud looted and shot one another.

To those of you who just hate for hate's sake - fuck you , suck on it, I have a better life than you.

Whatever floats your boat. If you think you're better off, good for you.

To the rest of you - if you want to see something UNIQUELY AMERICAN - that you will get nowhere else in the world - I would like to help you see it.I can provide advice on what to do in the city, and if the timing is right, I will be your personal guide. Email me at spidermantuba@gmail.com

P.S. - my entire state has shit you will never see where you live. New Orleans is just the most prominent example.

You're right, NO does have SHIT we'll never see.

cat slave
05-08-2010, 11:19 AM
:clap::clap::clap:

Mr. P
05-08-2010, 12:07 PM
UNIQUELY AMERICAN ? Never heard French Canadian mix described like that before.

Food? IT SUX! Really it does. Those Cajuns will eat anything and say it's good.

BoogyMan
05-08-2010, 12:28 PM

Food? IT SUX! Really it does. Those Cajuns will eat anything and say it's good.

LOL, if it moves on it's own, it can be food! LOL

cat slave
05-08-2010, 06:59 PM
I have never had any desire whatsoever to visit NO, even before Katrina.
A bunch of greasy, crawdad eating locals leaves much to be desired.

My daughter always wanted to go...she did.....and will never again!

SpidermanTUba
05-08-2010, 07:58 PM
That's great, I'm sure many other cities would be proud to have people drinking alcohol in public all over the place.
I guess we just like freedom here.

Likely the main reason why NO smells like piss.

New Orleans isn't Bourbon St during Mardi Gras. Bourbon St is a single street, and it smells horrible for about 4 days out of the year before Mardi Gras.The most idiotic of tourists like to go there, get faced, waste their money on strippers, spill their beer and piss and trash all over the street, and then bitch about the smell. Then early in the morning, the street cleaner comes and cleans up their mess they can do it all over again.

SpidermanTUba
05-08-2010, 08:04 PM

The French Canadians live mostly in the southwest part of the state. You are confusing Cajun with Creole.

Food? IT SUX! Really it does. Those Cajuns will eat anything and say it's good.Sorry you can't take the heat.

SpidermanTUba
05-08-2010, 08:05 PM
I have never had any desire whatsoever to visit NO, even before Katrina.
A bunch of greasy, crawdad eating locals leaves much to be desired.

My daughter always wanted to go...she did.....and will never again!
Sorry she didn't like Bourbon St.

Mr. P
05-08-2010, 08:12 PM
The French Canadians live mostly in the southwest part of the state. You are confusing Cajun with Creole.

Sorry you can't take the heat.

The heat is fine it's the food that sux.

BTW the worst shrimp I ever had was in Lousiania.

SpidermanTUba
05-08-2010, 08:14 PM
The heat is fine it's the food that sux.

LOL! You think I was referring to the temperature of the air, that's hilarious.

Mr. P
05-08-2010, 08:17 PM
LOL! You think I was referring to the temperature of the air, that's hilarious.

No, I know what you meant..and the food still sux.

SpidermanTUba
05-08-2010, 08:26 PM
No, I know what you meant..and the food still sux.

Hey sorry we don't have the fucking Olive Garden.

jimnyc
05-08-2010, 08:27 PM
I guess we just like freedom here.

New Orleans isn't Bourbon St during Mardi Gras. Bourbon St is a single street, and it smells horrible for about 4 days out of the year before Mardi Gras.The most idiotic of tourists like to go there, get faced, waste their money on strippers, spill their beer and piss and trash all over the street, and then bitch about the smell. Then early in the morning, the street cleaner comes and cleans up their mess they can do it all over again.

Sorry she didn't like Bourbon St.

Why do you assume right away that everyone is strictly speaking about Bourbon Street? Yes, I was there, during NON mardi gras and it smelled like piss, but so did everywhere else I went within about a 5 mile radius of that location. Not to mention there were quite a few muggings and robberies that took place off the main avenue which was a good mile from Bourbon. It was also an awfully shitty area the closer you got to the stadium. I was there to setup a network at a prominent hotel for attorneys, which networked to their "home base" about 10 miles away. Spent quite a few evenings all over both areas and wasn't my cup of tea. And yes, there were a few nicer areas with some very good restaurants, but NO is like everywhere else - good places and bad. I just don't see it as some paradise as you make it out to sound.

Good food, good music and drinking can be found in NYC, Memphis, Chicago, LA.... All depends on your style.

Mr. P
05-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Hey sorry we don't have the fucking Olive Garden.

Olive Garden sux too but would be a step up.

chesswarsnow
05-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. I went to New Orleans once, looked like an open sewer to me.
2. People looked kinda haggered, like they just walked out of some cave or maybe an open sewer.
3. Had a pungent smell, smelled like, *open sewer*.:laugh2:
4. Anyway I won't be going back anytime soon I already know what an *open sewer* smells like.:laugh2:
5. Yeah New Orleans has some shit we don't have here in DFW area, and they can keep it and suck on it,..!!!!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

SpidermanTUba
05-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Yes, I was there, during NON mardi gras and it smelled like piss, but so did everywhere else I went within about a 5 mile radius of that location

Must of been a while ago. I was just there, no piss smell. The city has cleaned up quite a bit, especially in the more touristy areas, because folks from Hollywood like to film there.

Good food, good music and drinking can be found in NYC, Memphis, Chicago, LA.... All depends on your style.

Can be found, yes. Inevitable, no.

SpidermanTUba
05-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. I went to New Orleans once, looked like an open sewer to me.
2. People looked kinda haggered, like they just walked out of some cave or maybe an open sewer.
3. Had a pungent smell, smelled like, *open sewer*.:laugh2:
4. Anyway I won't be going back anytime soon I already know what an *open sewer* smells like.:laugh2:
5. Yeah New Orleans has some shit we don't have here in DFW area, and they can keep it and suck on it,..!!!!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

I'd imagine most anywhere is a better place to be than DFW. Except Houston.

Mr. P
05-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Must of been a while ago. I was just there, no piss smell. The city has cleaned up quite a bit, especially in the more touristy areas, because folks from Hollywood like to film there.

Well Damn! What do ya know, Bush did something right, steered that damn Hurricane in there and cleaned that cesspool out. :laugh2:

Wait, on second thought those RATS don't wanna go back home!

Crap, nothing good comes outta N.O., just crap!

chesswarsnow
05-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Sorry bout that,

I'd imagine most anywhere is a better place to be than DFW. Except Houston.

1. Yeah when Katrina hit New Orleans, a bunch sewer rats, came up here to DFW area, crime rates shot through the roof!
2. We got em sitten in jails now.
3. You can't fix stupid, and you can't take the sewer rat out of the sewer.
4. New Orleans will always be a *open sewer*, never will it change.
5. Yeah I bet its just heaven on earth to a *sewer rat*, many went back to the sewer from whence they came, as soon as the waters were receded.:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

chesswarsnow
05-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Sorry bout that,

Well Damn! What do ya know, Bush did something right, steered that damn Hurricane in there and cleaned that cesspool out. :laugh2:

1. LOL!!!!!!!!:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
2. And *sewer rats*!:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

SpidermanTUba
05-08-2010, 11:47 PM

You don't like wrinkle free cotton?

SpidermanTUba
05-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Yeah when Katrina hit New Orleans, a bunch sewer rats, came up here to DFW area, crime rates shot through the roof!
2. We got em sitten in jails now.
3. You can't fix stupid, and you can't take the sewer rat out of the sewer.
4. New Orleans will always be a *open sewer*, never will it change.
5. Yeah I bet its just heaven on earth to a *sewer rat*, many went back to the sewer from whence they came, as soon as the waters were receded.:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry you got fed a bunch of racist propaganda and bit.

Regardless of the relationship of Hurricane Katrina evacuees with crime rates, it cannot be ignored that for the most part, both property and violent crime were showing little to no increase across the sample group. This is particularly interesting to note since many cities were reporting spikes in crime after evacuees from Katrina arrived. With the exception of Memphis with violent crime and Mobile with property crime, crime rates were either staying fairly steady or were trending downward post-Katrina.

While it is unfortunate that no statistically significant relationship can be found between Hurricane Katrina evacuees and crime rates, it is not altogether surprising. Recent studies have addressed the “myths” of lawlessness surrounding natural disasters (Tierney et al. 2006). Although there doesn’t exist much scholarly work addressing disaster evacuees and their affects on crime rates in their respective host cities, it is not difficult to
extrapolate the results of existing research to assume that the affect is most likely negligible.

http://www.allacademic.com//meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/2/6/6/7/9/pages266793/p266793-1.php

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of your bigotry! Its a bunch of negros showing up in your city, they must be up to no good, right?

05-09-2010, 01:58 AM
Nothing I want. That's for sure.

REDWHITEBLUE2
05-09-2010, 02:28 AM
NO is the cesspool of America. The only good thing coming out of Louisiana is I-10

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 09:45 AM
NO is the cesspool of America.

Justify this statement.

The only good thing coming out of Louisiana is I-10

Sorry you don't like wrinkle free cotton, the artificial heart,. Louis Armstrong, "Great Balls of Fire", and 1/4 of the nation's energy supply.

Its funny how the importance of the Mississippi River and our other water ways completely escapes you.

Sitarro
05-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Justify this statement.

Sorry you don't like wrinkle free cotton, the artificial heart,. Louis Armstrong, "Great Balls of Fire", and 1/4 of the nation's energy supply.

Its funny how the importance of the Mississippi River and our other water ways completely escapes you.

Being a native of Louisiana and a real Cajun, I am ashamed and sickened by that awful city. It's a dump, the food sucks, the music sucks worse and the architecture is pathetic. I guess that's why you live in BR.

The Mississippi traffic should be sent down the Whiskey Bay Pilot Channel and bypass NO all together, they could use the vastly superior Port Of Houston.

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Being a native of Louisiana and a real Cajun, I am ashamed and sickened by that awful city. It's a dump, the food sucks, the music sucks worse and the architecture is pathetic. I guess that's why you live in BR.

The Mississippi traffic should be sent down the Whiskey Bay Pilot Channel and bypass NO all together, they could use the vastly superior Port Of Houston.

Wow, you hate the blacks so much you actually want to ship jobs out of state.

Stay in the country coon ass.

chesswarsnow
05-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Sorry bout that,

Wow, you hate the blacks so much you actually want to ship jobs out of state.

Stay in the country coon ass.

1. We could dig a canal over from Houston, to the Mis. river, and by-pass New Orleans altogether.:laugh2:
2. Oh on another note, only good thing to happen in New Orleans in the last 20 years, is they won a Super Bowl.
3. And that was this year, the other 19 years, nothing ever good happened.
4. Hey spdieman, err,..you ain't getting very much support here on New Orleans mon!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. We could dig a canal over from Houston, to the Mis. river, and by-pass New Orleans altogether.Why fix was isn't broke?

chesswarsnow
05-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Sorry bout that,

Why fix was isn't broke?

1. Because we can!:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

PostmodernProphet
05-09-2010, 05:14 PM
What New Orleans has that you do not

evacuees......

Trigg
05-09-2010, 06:04 PM
Having lived there for 2 years NO has absolutely NOTHING I want.

Moved back to where I was born and raised.

Very low crime.

Summer festivals

SNOW------love snow and having different seasons for that matter. It's what I missed the most while living in Tampa and NO.

No desire to ever go back. Ya, Mardi Gras was fun when I was younger. Now, seeing a lot of drunks walking the streets throwing up and peeing in every available corder, not to mention all the shootings that happen, just doesn't appeal to me.

SpidermanTUba
05-11-2010, 02:46 PM
No desire to ever go back. Ya, Mardi Gras was fun when I was younger. Now, seeing a lot of drunks walking the streets throwing up and peeing in every available corder

Then don't go to Bourbon St. for Mardi Gras.

SNOW------love snow and having different seasons for that matter.

Snow blows on any day that one has to go to work. I have no idea how you stand it.

We do have different seasons. There's football season, carnival season, Lent, and festival season.

sybarite
05-11-2010, 03:06 PM
Then don't go to Bourbon St. for Mardi Gras.

Snow blows on any day that one has to go to work. I have no idea how you stand it.

We do have different seasons. There's football season, carnival season, Lent, and festival season.

Snow is what makes Wisconsin rock! My dh and I snowmobile every chance we get! There is nothing better than the four seasons of Wisconsin!!

SpidermanTUba
05-11-2010, 03:26 PM
To each his own. I have been to Wisconsin in the summer and thought it one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

HogTrash
05-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Every place on earth, from the dryest barren desert to the most remote frozen tundra has it's points of interest, but what truely sets a place apart is the people who inhabit it.

I once visited Mt Fuji Japan and was awe-struck by it's breathtaking presence, but what stuck with me over the years were the cold, unfriendly and rude people who lived there.

Mr. P
05-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Every place on earth, from the dryest barren desert to the most remote frozen tundra has it's points of interest, but what truely sets a place apart is the people who inhabit it.

I once visited Mt Fuji Japan and was awe-struck by it's breathtaking presence, but what stuck with me over the years were the cold, unfriendly and rude people who lived there.

Boy That's the TRUTH!

PostmodernProphet
05-11-2010, 05:24 PM
well, I just discovered my home town has something New Orlean's doesn't have....ranking at #2 on a poll of best places to live....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-02-15-cities_N.htm#table

SpidermanTUba
05-11-2010, 05:52 PM
well, I just discovered my home town has something New Orlean's doesn't have....ranking at #2 on a poll of best places to live....

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-02-15-cities_N.htm#table

Happiness is the most important thing to me.

Louisiana Happiest State In America: New York Saddest (Full List)
http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/louisiana-happiest-state-america-new-york-saddest-full-list-2540943.html

1. Louisiana
2. Hawaii
3. Florida
4. Tennessee
5. Arizona
6. Mississippi
7. Montana
8. South Carolina
9. Alabama
10. Maine
11. Alaska
12. North Carolina
13. Wyoming
14. Idaho
15. South Dakota
16. Texas
17. Arkansas
18. Vermont
19. Georgia
20. Oklahoma
21. Colorado
22. Delaware
23. Utah
24. New Mexico
25. North Dakota
26. Minnesota
27. New Hampshire
28. Virginia
29. Wisconsin
30. Oregon
31. Iowa
32. Kansas
33. Nebraska
34. West Virginia
35. Kentucky
36. Washington
37. District of Columbia
38. Missouri
39. Nevada
40. Maryland
41. Pennsylvania
42. Rhode Island
43. Massachusetts
44. Ohio
45. Illinois
46. California
47. Indiana
48. Michigan
49. New Jersey
50. Connecticut
51. New York

Interesting how 6 of the top 10 are former confederate states, and there are no former confederate states in the bottom 10

Binky
05-11-2010, 06:01 PM
If I want to smell piss and any other nasty smells and see a bunch of loudmouthed drunks acting like jackasses or girls with their tits and asses hangin' out, I'll go to TIPUP TOWN USA, in Houghton Lake Michigan..... Pretty much the same thing. Just different food, bands and people. An ass is an ass..... And a boob is a boob..... But there ain't no funeral marches heard......

Binky
05-11-2010, 06:10 PM
I notice mine came in at number 48. You'd think, with all the money that has flowed thru this state via unions etc, that the people would be happier. Just goes to show that money can't buy happiness. The more one makes, the more your lifestyle changes, making you more unhappier.....

Still......all in all, I love my state and will be here until I'm put in the ground....It's a very gorgeous state surrounded by mucho water.....

SpidermanTUba
05-11-2010, 06:20 PM
I notice mine came in at number 48. You'd think, with all the money that has flowed thru this state via unions etc, that the people would be happier. Just goes to show that money can't buy happiness. The more one makes, the more your lifestyle changes, making you more unhappier.....

Still......all in all, I love my state and will be here until I'm put in the ground....It's a very gorgeous state surrounded by mucho water.....

Too fucking cold for happiness.

HogTrash
05-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Too fucking cold for happiness.LOL!...I thought you said "To each his own"?

What happened, did ya change your mind? :laugh2:

Mr. P
05-11-2010, 06:40 PM
LOL!...I thought you said "To each his own"?

Yer FIRST Thank You. :laugh2:

cat slave
05-11-2010, 08:44 PM

Louisiana Happiest State In America: New York Saddest (Full List)
http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/louisiana-happiest-state-america-new-york-saddest-full-list-2540943.html

1. Louisiana
2. Hawaii
3. Florida
4. Tennessee
5. Arizona
6. Mississippi
7. Montana
8. South Carolina
9. Alabama
10. Maine
11. Alaska
12. North Carolina
13. Wyoming
14. Idaho
15. South Dakota
16. Texas
17. Arkansas
18. Vermont
19. Georgia
20. Oklahoma
21. Colorado
22. Delaware
23. Utah
24. New Mexico
25. North Dakota
26. Minnesota
27. New Hampshire
28. Virginia
29. Wisconsin
30. Oregon
31. Iowa
32. Kansas
33. Nebraska
34. West Virginia
35. Kentucky
36. Washington
37. District of Columbia
38. Missouri
39. Nevada
40. Maryland
41. Pennsylvania
42. Rhode Island
43. Massachusetts
44. Ohio
45. Illinois
46. California
47. Indiana
48. Michigan
49. New Jersey
50. Connecticut
51. New York

Interesting how 6 of the top 10 are former confederate states, and there are no former confederate states in the bottom 10

Yesterday at the clinic we had two veterinarians in the US
for a conference...one from Serbia and one from the Philippines. They were so amazed and impressed by the
warmth and kindness of the people of TN. They had never
experienced such friendliness.

Cool! Southern Comfort says a lot.

cat slave
05-11-2010, 08:46 PM
I hate the cold and dont think Id like living up north though
Im sure it is beautiful. TN winters are more than cold enough for me.

PostmodernProphet
05-11-2010, 09:13 PM

48. Michigan
49. New Jersey
50. Connecticut
51. New York

no fair....they took that poll while Michigan had a Democrat for governor.....

SpidermanTUba
05-11-2010, 09:25 PM
LOL!...I thought you said "To each his own"?

Its obviously just my opinion, do I need to explicitly state that every time I utter something that's obviously a matter of personal preference, or are you a grown-up?

sybarite
05-11-2010, 09:31 PM
I hate the cold and don't think Id like living up north though
I'm sure it is beautiful. TN winters are more than cold enough for me.

Love Memphis! Blues, booze, and bbq's. Doesn't get much better than that!!
Nashville, went every summer as a kid, liked it more as an adult. Smokey Mountains, heaven on earth!! Dollywood, over-rated, Gatlinburg is beautiful!

DragonStryk72
05-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Now I will tell you what we do have that you don't...

Freedom-

They have it in Ireland as well, and actually Georgia, Virginia, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, and Pennsylvania all allowed for open containers

Brass Bands-

Was this something we really needed? I mean, sure a triathlon is fun, and so is a parade with a brass band, but why would I need to have them both at the same time? I've seen parades btw, with brass bands back in Albany where I grew up.

Jazz Funerals-

uhhh.... yeah, generally speaking, not a huge fan of funerals. More power to you though.

Food-

Uh yeah, same in Virginia, there are only too many place to go get some good eats, as well as NYC, San Fran, and a number of others in the US.

No snow-

1) I like snow, it's the only fun precipitation.
2) You have had snowfall, notably on Christmas eve 2004, so it's not no snow, but just a rarity like most of the south

Mardi Gras Indians-

Um, yeah other places have unique Native American tribes as well, such as the Iroquois Nations (upon which some of our Constitution was based).

Mardi Gras-

Okay, I will give you Mardi Gras, that's 1 out of 5 so far.

Pride-

Maybe if I were still living in Jersey, that would be true, but frankly, NYC has that, Houston has that, LA has that, Seattle has that, as well as numerous small towns that are regularly ravaged by natural disaster, only to go ahead and rebuild each time.

Okay, that was a fun little elitist run for you there, but honestly, how many other places have you even been, or lived in. Being navy, I've seen a lot of different places, and each has its own unique points.

cat slave
05-11-2010, 11:14 PM
Nashville, went every summer as a kid, liked it more as an adult. Smokey Mountains, heaven on earth!! Dollywood, over-rated, Gatlinburg is beautiful!

Ah...the mountains....heaven on earth for sure.

SpidermanTUba
05-12-2010, 12:10 AM

Memphis does kick ass. I've only been out in Memphis twice in my life but can't wait to go back.

SpidermanTUba
05-12-2010, 12:17 AM

SpidermanTUba
05-12-2010, 12:19 AM
They have it in Ireland as well, and actually Georgia, Virginia, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, and Pennsylvania all allowed for open containers

Thanks for the list.

Was this something we really needed? I mean, sure a triathlon is fun, and so is a parade with a brass band, but why would I need to have them both at the same time? I've seen parades btw, with brass bands back in Albany where I grew up.

It just sort of happened that way. I don't think anyone planned them to happen at the same time. And its not just a parade with a brass band. There is a 2nd line crew that goes with it and the specators follow the parade, they don't just stand and watch it go by. I would doubt they exist in that form anywhere else, they originated here when Irish Catholics would hire negro brass bands to play at funerals, and like most traditions that originated here, it didn't get far.

uhhh.... yeah, generally speaking, not a huge fan of funerals. More power to you though. Why would you be? Most funerals aren't any fun at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BwkMzFDues

1) I like snow, it's the only fun precipitation.
2) You have had snowfall, notably on Christmas eve 2004, so it's not no snow, but just a rarity like most of the south

Like 3 or 4 times in my life.

Um, yeah other places have unique Native American tribes as well, such as the Iroquois Nations (upon which some of our Constitution was based).
Mardi Gras Indians aren't native Americans. They are of African descent.

Okay, that was a fun little elitist run for you there, but honestly, how many other places have you even been, or lived in. Being navy, I've seen a lot of different places, and each has its own unique points.
Elitist? In New Orleans? LOL!

DragonStryk72
05-12-2010, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the list.

It just sort of happened that way. I don't think anyone planned them to happen at the same time. And its not just a parade with a brass band. There is a 2nd line crew that goes with it and the specators follow the parade, they don't just stand and watch it go by. I would doubt they exist in that form anywhere else, they originated here when Irish Catholics would hire negro brass bands to play at funerals, and like most traditions that originated here, it didn't get far.

Why would you be? Most funerals aren't any fun at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BwkMzFDues

Like 3 or 4 times in my life.
Mardi Gras Indians aren't native Americans. They are of African descent.

Elitist? In New Orleans? LOL!

Yes, Elitists exist everywhere. And if they are of African decent, then they are not indians, they're black, unless they are from india, in which case, they're indians, but I know of no actual indians that have that mode of dress.

SpidermanTUba
05-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Yes, Elitists exist everywhere. And if they are of African decent, then they are not indians, they're black, unless they are from india, in which case, they're indians, but I know of no actual indians that have that mode of dress.

Sorry, but you are incorrect. When escaped black slaves were taken in by native American tribes, they became members of that tribe and were treated as such. Although some are probably not directly descended from such escaped slaves, the Mardi Gras Indian tribes in the city represent a continuance of the presence of people of African descent in native American tribes.

Following a Zulu tradition from Africa, which states that you honor someone when you dress as they do, the Mardi Gras Indians dress as native Americans do to honor them for taking in their ancestors from slavery. Yes - the dress is very exaggerated, its all part of the show. Every year each Mardi Gras Indian hand sews themselves a new suit. (The song "New Suit" by the Wild Magnolias references this practice).

The Mardi Gras Indians first started parading around mid 19th century, and when one tribe ran into another, violence would often ensue. Around the later part of the 20th century, this violence was replaced with what is more a competition of song, dance, and dress - although when you see two Mardi Gras Indian tribes meet on the street today, there is still that feeling that violent confrontation could happen at any time - but now its all show.

Although there dress is exaggerated, as far as I know, native Americans are not offended by it when they know the whole story. It is a real and true way of honoring them -they aren't just a mascot for a sports team- the honoring of the natives is what its all about. In fact in 2006 Mardi Gras actual ethnic native Americans paraded with one of the tribes.

They are probably the most respected and revered single identifiable group of people in the city. They have been known to stop entire Mardi Gras parades - the big ones - like "Rex" - by simply walking out in front of the parade and blocking it. No one will dare to tell them to move, for fear of angering the spirits! Even the police will generally allow the Indians to block off any street they please on Mardi Gras day.

They not only have their elaborate dress, but a unique musical tradition - the most well known song of which is "Iko Iko". The "flag boy" is the Indian responsible for carrying the flag of the tribe.

As far as I know you won't see them but here. And even if you want to see them here, you've got to find them early on Mardi Gras Day. Unlike the ordinary parades, they do not follow pre-planned routes. They also come out on St. Joseph's Day as well as two other days shortly after - one for the uptown tribes, one for the downtown tribes, called "Super Sunday".

HogTrash
05-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Its obviously just my opinion, do I need to explicitly state that every time I utter something that's obviously a matter of personal preference, or are you a grown-up?Lighten up king-kong...I was just jerkin your chain.

SpidermanTUba
05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Lighten up king-kong...I was just jerkin your chain.

Ditto:dance:

HogTrash
05-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Ah...the mountains....heaven on earth for sure.I know why you love the mountains, Cat...You live in paradise.

I have seen pics of your back yard and it's breathtaking views.

My plans for my grey years were to liquidate and leave the city for the mountains.

At the time I neglected to take into account the children and grandchildren that would later come into my life.

I don't think I'll miss those beautiful mountains quite as much as I would my grandkids...Nothing can equal the joy they bring.

SpidermanTUba
05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I know why you love the mountains, Cat...You live in paradise.

I have seen pics of your back yard and it's breathtaking views.

My plans for my grey years were to liquidate and leave the city for the mountains.

At the time I neglected to take into account the children and grandchildren that would later come into my life.

I don't think I'll miss those beautiful mountains quite as much as I would my grandkids...Nothing can equal the joy they bring.

Mountains is the singular most important reason I have for leaving this state for vacation. I took a 3 month hike on the AT once .... by contrast, the longest hiking trail in Louisiana is 30 miles long, and when you get to the end of it the local PD looks at you like you're some homeless trash, because hardly anyone ever hikes it so they aren't used to seeing hikers.

HogTrash
05-12-2010, 12:39 PM
Mountains is the singular most important reason I have for leaving this state for vacation. I took a 3 month hike on the AT once .... by contrast, the longest hiking trail in Louisiana is 30 miles long, and when you get to the end of it the local PD looks at you like you're some homeless trash, because hardly anyone ever hikes it so they aren't used to seeing hikers.The Appalachian Trail, which begins in Georgia and ends in Maine, is more than two thousand miles of mountain wilderness hiking and watch out for the black bears, copperheads and rattlesnakes.

DragonStryk72
05-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Sorry, but you are incorrect. When escaped black slaves were taken in by native American tribes, they became members of that tribe and were treated as such. Although some are probably not directly descended from such escaped slaves, the Mardi Gras Indian tribes in the city represent a continuance of the presence of people of African descent in native American tribes.

Following a Zulu tradition from Africa, which states that you honor someone when you dress as they do, the Mardi Gras Indians dress as native Americans do to honor them for taking in their ancestors from slavery. Yes - the dress is very exaggerated, its all part of the show. Every year each Mardi Gras Indian hand sews themselves a new suit. (The song "New Suit" by the Wild Magnolias references this practice).

The Mardi Gras Indians first started parading around mid 19th century, and when one tribe ran into another, violence would often ensue. Around the later part of the 20th century, this violence was replaced with what is more a competition of song, dance, and dress - although when you see two Mardi Gras Indian tribes meet on the street today, there is still that feeling that violent confrontation could happen at any time - but now its all show.

Although there dress is exaggerated, as far as I know, native Americans are not offended by it when they know the whole story. It is a real and true way of honoring them -they aren't just a mascot for a sports team- the honoring of the natives is what its all about. In fact in 2006 Mardi Gras actual ethnic native Americans paraded with one of the tribes.

They are probably the most respected and revered single identifiable group of people in the city. They have been known to stop entire Mardi Gras parades - the big ones - like "Rex" - by simply walking out in front of the parade and blocking it. No one will dare to tell them to move, for fear of angering the spirits! Even the police will generally allow the Indians to block off any street they please on Mardi Gras day.

They not only have their elaborate dress, but a unique musical tradition - the most well known song of which is "Iko Iko". The "flag boy" is the Indian responsible for carrying the flag of the tribe.

As far as I know you won't see them but here. And even if you want to see them here, you've got to find them early on Mardi Gras Day. Unlike the ordinary parades, they do not follow pre-planned routes. They also come out on St. Joseph's Day as well as two other days shortly after - one for the uptown tribes, one for the downtown tribes, called "Super Sunday".

They still aren't Native Americans, though. Yes, they may have been accepted by tribes here, not arguing, but that still does not make them native.

SpidermanTUba
05-12-2010, 05:25 PM
They still aren't Native Americans, though. Yes, they may have been accepted by tribes here, not arguing, but that still does not make them native.

They weren't merely 'accepted' into the tribes, they became members of the tribe, just as a person who immigrates to the U.S. can become an American citizen.

Mr. P
05-12-2010, 06:04 PM
You guys are splittin hairs, aren't you?

Yer both right and both wrong..IMO

Genetically, they were not native Indians.

Culturally, they were.

Right.