05-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Does anyone honestly expect that:

Social security
Our 401Ks
Our Pensions

Are going to be around when we retire?

LiberalNation
05-08-2010, 02:04 PM
on ss they will raise age when you can draw it to 75 and taxes on it, 401k if you have one and don't lose it all in the stocks it will be there, pensions have been on the way out for a long time now.

KarlMarx
05-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Social Security is probably not going to be around for people under 45 or so. I don't know how they are going to pay out more and more for the baby boomers and keep the fund solvent.

Whether your pension will be around or not is influenced by many factors. The biggest one being how the pension fund is managed. In my case (Lockheed), the answer is definitely yes.

Will your 401(k) be around when you retire? That depends on whether politicians can keep their grubby paws off of them and not pull an Argentina on us, i.e. forcing us all to exchange our 401(k)s for government backed securities.

hortysir
05-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Does anyone honestly expect that:

Social security
Our 401Ks
Our Pensions

Are going to be around when we retire?
I found this yesterday.

A very good read from the Cato Institute

http://www.socialsecurity.org/

snip-it:

Social Security will begin running a deficit by 2016, just six years from now. In theory, the Social Security trust fund will pay benefits until 2037, which should serve as cold comfort to today's 31-year-olds. But that figure is misleading because the trust fund contains no actual assets.
:salute:

Insein
05-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Social Security? No
Pensions? How many people have pensions anymore... so no.
401k? As stated above, as long as the government keeps their hands off, then yes this is the only sure fire way of controlling your retirement.