PDA

View Full Version : Katrina crime wave never existed

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 10:15 AM
A huge crime wave blamed on thousands of Katrina evacuees in Houston and other Southwest cities never happened, say criminologists who warned public officials and the media to be careful in attributing crime to the former New Orleans residents.Study: Katrina crime wave nonexistent in Houston | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6868718.html)

crin63
05-09-2010, 10:18 AM
Good thing murder and robbery aren't significant.

“What we found in Houston was there appears to be an increase in some categories of crime, in particular murder and robbery, during the Katrina time period when the evacuees came to Houston

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 10:21 AM
He added: “One of our takeaway messages is if the evacuees were responsible for this crime wave, we would have expected to see a much broader range of crime to increase besides murder and robbery. This is not quite the effect the local people claimed on the ground there.“.

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 10:29 AM
From the actual study:

Taken together, the “mixed findings” presented here suggested
that Katrina did have some effect on serious crime at least in two of
the three cities examined, but those effects were neither widespread
(across all crime categories), nor pervasive (across the three cities).
This suggested that local circumstances, coupled by the volume of
displaced persons being absorbed by any particular city play a role in
increasing crime, and that disaster planning and relief efforts should
be cognizant of issues of “over-saturation” in the capacity of receiving
communities to adequately adjust to such disasters.

chesswarsnow
05-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. Simplie put, many many of these displaced people are and were frought with crimes.
2. Its a fact there and here, on the most part they be negroes.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 11:08 AM
1. Simplie put, many many of these displaced people are and were frought with crimes.

Wow. How surprising, that out of a population of hundreds of thousands of people, there would be criminals.

Who would have thought.

BTW - Houston's total crime per capita was higher in 2003, 2002, and 2001 than it was in 2005 and 2006.

http://system.gocampaign.com/billkinghouston_com/images/Graph08_AllCrimes.gif

Looks like many Houstonians were frought with crime in 2000-2004. Slight uptick around Katrina, but not enough to restore houston to the same crime rate that Houstonians themselves were responsible for only a couple years earlier!

chesswarsnow
05-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. Yeah that *Chocolate City* will get you *Chocolate Dead*!!!
2. Its a fact.
3. When you get real, you get real.
4. What parts do you stay out of after dark?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

chesswarsnow
05-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. Ths is a gold mine of just what New Orleans is all about.
2. L/S:http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/points/stories/DN-gelinas_13edi.ART.State.Edition1.4310bb0.html

Sunday, May 13, 2007

You don't have to go to Baghdad to see what happens when government loses its monopoly on force; just visit New Orleans.

More than a year and a half after Katrina hit in late August 2005, violent crime – already a grave problem long before the storm – pervades the city, endangering its recovery by driving some good people away and keeping others from returning.

In recent months, the federal and state governments, confronting a murder rate that exceeds that of any first-world city, have brought law-and-order forces to the Big Easy to try to wrest its streets back from criminals. But any long-term solution to the city's crime woes must be local. Unless New Orleans itself can find the moral and political will to control the violence, it will only be trying to rebuild the dying city that it was before Katrina.When New Orleans began slowly to come back to life after Katrina, it enjoyed a respite from violent crime. New Orleanians had a "sense of euphoria about the city being a new city, that the violent crimes just weren't there," says U.S. Attorney Jim Letten, who handles federal cases for Louisiana's eastern district.

But after roughly 10 weeks of peace, murders – many drug-related and acquaintance-based – started to appear in the headlines again. Then, as the population began returning in greater numbers last spring, violent crime roared back "with a vengeance," as Mr. Letten puts it.

The numbers tell a grim story. In 2004, the year before Katrina, New Orleans suffered 265 murders, yielding a murder rate of 56 per 100,000 residents – already 4 ½ times the average for similar-size cities. In 2006, the year after Katrina, the flood-ravaged, much smaller city logged 162 murders – a rate of at least 77 per 100,000 people, even assuming the most generous quarter-by-quarter repopulation figures available. (New Orleans has recovered less than half its pre-Katrina population of about 470,000.)

In the first 64 days of 2007, New Orleans's murder rate scaled even higher – more than 87 per 100,000 residents. Such a rate in New York City would mean nearly 7,000 murders a year, well over the 2,262 it experienced at the height of its violent-crime crisis 17 years ago.

Other violent-crime indexes – from assault to armed robbery – have moved in a similar direction.

All this suggests that New Orleans' bad guys are coming back to the city in disproportionate numbers. That shouldn't come as a surprise. The hoodlums, mostly members of an entrenched underclass, are impulsive and mobile, while working- and middle-class New Orleanians face big roadblocks to returning.

Relentless crime was the main reason New Orleans had lost 22 percent of its pre-1960 peak population (mostly middle-class young people, black and white) long before Katrina. But the hurricane took a slow process of decline – more middle-class hemorrhaging, more disorder, fewer livable neighborhoods – and fast-forwarded it to urban nightmare.

First, New Orleans' "legacy drug dealers" – as James Bernazzani, special agent in charge of the city's FBI office, classifies those who were dealing before Katrina, almost invariably single-parented young black males – learned a lot during their months away. In Houston, Big Easy dealers met new suppliers and have now "flooded New Orleans with drugs," Mr. Bernazzani says.

Many dealers and other criminals haven't returned to their old blighted neighborhoods, since four-fifths of New Orleans' public housing remains closed and some of the city's poorest tracts are still flood-ruined. Instead, they've spread out to neighborhoods that were already struggling before the storm, as well as ample pockets of Uptown, and made those places much more dangerous.

Some returning criminals take advantage of abandoned housing on half-occupied streets; others crowd with relatives in legal housing. "You have families living doubled up, people who have serious problems," says Al Mims Jr., a Central City native who came back to New Orleans a week after Katrina. "Before Katrina," he explains, "you had [drug] rivals who stayed miles apart. Now, it's like having Wal-Mart and Kmart across the street from each other."

It's not just the violence; New Orleanians also face a dispiriting crush of property theft as they struggle to rebuild. In recovering neighborhoods, criminals wait for a returning resident to install new appliances into his damaged home, and then steal them when he returns to his temporary housing at night.

Quality-of-life infractions are endemic, too. Residents all over the city complain of blatant drug use and open-air drug sales.

Intensifying the city's crime woes further, family relationships that were tenuous pre-Katrina – in underclass neighborhoods, mothers and grandmothers raised children alone, with few exceptions – are now completely broken.

David Bell, chief justice of New Orleans' juvenile court, tells me that 20 percent of the kids who appear before him today – for the most part, 15 or younger – are utterly without parental supervision; he calls this a "tragic story no one is telling."

New Orleans has yet another Katrina-related crime problem: It has become a kind of frontier town. Contractors and laborers have come from all over America to work on the city's damaged property (and from south of the border: One joke in town is that FEMA means "Find Every Mexican Available"). Often without their families, some buy entertainment on the streets, including drugs and sex.

Katrina's protracted aftermath would challenge the nation's best police and prosecutorial forces. But the fact that New Orleans hasn't had a functional criminal justice system for years has made its post-hurricane crime predicament graver still.

No one would deny the city's acute challenges since the storm. Floodwaters heavily damaged court and police buildings; hundreds of police officers and prosecutors lost their homes; the Police Department lost its crime lab.

But earlier this year, the DA's office released news showing that the city's criminal justice system wasn't just strained, but shattered. In 2006 and early 2007, 3,581 suspects, some charged with murders and armed robberies, walked free from jail or from bond, in many cases because the prosecutor didn't have the physical evidence to indict them within the 60 days mandated by the state constitution.

Mayor Ray Nagin's failure to replace the crime lab didn't come from nowhere. New Orleans was pathetically lax about its criminal justice system before the storm. "

3. Read the entire disgusting link, you should never want to go there, or get the hell out as soon as you can, its that bad folks.
4. http://downwithjugears.blogspot.com/2006/10/katrina-crime-wave-still-hammering.html

"
The massive crime wave which began a year ago with the massive dispersion of hundreds of thousands of blacks from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina continues, and shows no signs of abating. Cities all around the country are reporting alarming spikes in the crime rates due to Katrina refugees, but Houston, Texas has been especially hard hit.

According to a recent Associated Press article, "Houston took in 150,000 evacuees - the most of any U.S. city - after Katrina struck on Aug. 29. Houston police believe the evacuees are partly responsible for a nearly 17.5 percent increase in homicides so far this year over the same period in 2005. About 21 percent of Houston's 232 homicides through July 25 involved an evacuee as either a suspect or a victim, according to police, who attribute much of the bloodshed to fighting among rival New Orleans gang members." There have also been reports of shooting wars between local drug gangs and invaders from New Orleans who are seeking to muscle in on the most profitable drug corners and housing project rackets, etc.

The Houston police are not impressed with the standard of law enforcement in the Big Sleazy. The article quoted the head of the Houston homicide division, Captain Dale Brown, as saying "New Orleans allowed a lot of these guys to stay on the street for whatever reason or be picked up and released after 60 days...Texas law, I don't want to say it's tougher, but we take these offenses very seriously."

According to the AP, "Judge Robert Eckels, chief executive of Harris County, which includes Houston, said Katrina evacuees arrested in the Houston have cost the county's criminal justice system more than $18 million. In June, Texas Gov. Rick Perry sent $19.5 million to Houston to help pay for additional officers and overtime to police the city after Katrina."

Katrina evacuees, almost all black, were shipped all over the country by the tens of thousands, including into predominantly white areas such as Vermont and Iowa whose liberal governing elite claimed to desire more "diversity" in their localities.

In a number of cities such as Houston, Baton Rouge, Atlanta and San Francisco, "Little New Orleans" neighborhoods have sprung up, mostly in taxpayer-subsidized government and municipal housing projects. In most of these areas an immediate jump in violent crime such as assaults and homicides and in property crimes such as robbery and burglary were noted, and some of this even got into the controlled media last autumn despite the general blanket of silence which is thrown over black misdeeds. "

5. Read the ending of this link, last few words tells the story, PC.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Relevance?

chesswarsnow
05-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Sorry bout that,

Relevance?

1. Well your thread started out on how New Orleans was butterflies and blue skies, butt in reality it bites my friend, New Orleans is a very sad place, death hovers over the whole lot, stink and death, its in fact a cesspool of a city, everyone that ever reads this, stay the hell out, its not worth it.
2. Now this is real.
3. Show us that New Orleans pride, and tell us again to suck on it my friend.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 11:57 AM
1. Well your thread started out on how New Orleans was butterflies and blue skies, butt in reality it bites my friend, New Orleans is a very sad place, death hovers over the whole lot, stink and death, its in fact a cesspool of a city, everyone that ever reads this, stay the hell out, its not worth it.

I'm sorry, you must have trouble reading. This thread is about how the crime wave in cities which took evacuees from New Orleans never existed.

chesswarsnow
05-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Sorry bout that,

I'm sorry, you must have trouble reading. This thread is about how the crime wave in cities which took evacuees from New Orleans never existed.

1. Oh my bad, I linked this to the other thread you made before, a continuation of it.
2. I guess I just rained on your brass funeral march then??

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Oh my bad, I linked this to the other thread you made before, a continuation of it.
2. I guess I just rained on your brass funeral march then??

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Oh, in that other thread, where one of the FIRST things I list is us not having a low crime rate? OK, so you were telling me what I already knew and pointed out, I get it.

BoogyMan
05-09-2010, 12:14 PM
I guess robery and murder are now not to be considered crime?

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 12:25 PM

If the Katrina victims were the cause of the increased murder and robbery in Houston - why didn't the murder and robbery rates go up in other cities that took in large amounts of evacuees? Could it be because the police departments in other cities were better able to handle the influx of people than the Houston PD? Or is it just a total coincidence that Houston got all of New Orleans' worst, but the other cities got our law abiding citizens?

chesswarsnow
05-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Yeah well we all gotta die, some time, and you can't take it with you right?:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 12:33 PM
If the Katrina victims were the cause of the increased murder and robbery in Houston - why didn't the murder and robbery rates go up in other cities that took in large amounts of evacuees? Could it be because the police departments in other cities were better able to handle the influx of people than the Houston PD? Or is it just a total coincidence that Houston got all of New Orleans' worst, but the other cities got our law abiding citizens?
Edit/Delete Message

chesswarsnow
05-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Sorry bout that,

Edit/Delete Message

1. Look at New Orleans Police Department first, they concede pretty much over to the criminals, never file charges, etc.
2. So its the problem of the cops in Houston, not the fact that New Orleans is chucked full of murderers?
3. And they come over from your home town, and just do what they do, kill, rob, steal, not there problem, get better police!
4. Sounds like the Katrina Flood/Hurricane, didn't get enough of em.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 01:49 PM
1. Look at New Orleans Police Department first, they concede pretty much over to the criminals, never file charges, etc.

The NOPD sucks ass, you won't hear me argue otherwise'

2. So its the problem of the cops in Houston, not the fact that New Orleans is chucked full of murderers?
So its a mere coincidence that all the murderers wound up in Houston and not in other cities which took large numbers of evacuees, like San Antonio? How is that?

Mr. P
05-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Edit/Delete Message

They did. Even out here some 25-30 miles east of Atlanta we saw crime increase and the perps were Katrina shelter folks.

ATLANTA -- Atlanta police said they've been experiencing a level of crime never seen before in the city and a lot of it was imported from New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14271910/detail.html

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 02:02 PM
They did. Even out here some 25-30 miles east of Atlanta we saw crime increase and the perps were Katrina shelter folks.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14271910/detail.html

Wow. One incident. And police saying that Katrina evacuees are causing the rest of the crime - without providing any actual numbers. When you've got something other than anecdotal and speculative evidence, let us know. I would have thought we would have all learned not to rely on such crap speculation after the storm, but I guess not.

Mr. P
05-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Wow. One incident. And police saying that Katrina evacuees are causing the rest of the crime - without providing any actual numbers. When you've got something other than anecdotal and speculative evidence, let us know. I would have thought we would have all learned not to rely on such crap speculation after the storm, but I guess not.

:laugh2: I guess ya can't read.

chesswarsnow
05-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Yeah, pretty much whereever the *river rats* went, the crime rate soared, just like I first said!
2. Polictical Correctness has nothing on me.
3. Negroes in New Orleans like to kill and do high crimes anywhere they are.
4. Doesn't say much for anyone who boasts about New Orleans really.:poke:
5. New Orleans is dubbed *open sewer* from CWN, and I nailed it!:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 03:36 PM
:laugh2: I guess ya can't read.

Pennington said that it was the type of crime he was used to seeing when he headed up the New Orleans Police Department.

I don't trust a word anything a current or former NOPD police chief says. Sounds like he's just sore he lost to Ray "Choco Factory" Nagin.

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Yeah, pretty much whereever the *river rats* went, the crime rate soared, just like I first said!

Sure

It soared alright.

http://www.billkinghouston.com/0/792897/0/1889/

The only point you could possibly make based on the statistics is that New Orleans evacuees in 2005-7 were as violent as Houstonians in 2002!

And bigots will be bigots no matter where they are. Even in Dallas, the 5th most dangerous city of 500,000 or more in the U.S.
http://www.morganquitno.com/cit05pop.htm

Mr. P
05-09-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't trust a word anything a current or former NOPD police chief says. Sounds like he's just sore he lost to Ray "Choco Factory" Nagin.

Sore? nah..I thought he was the wrong choice for Atlanta though.
BUT..he knew the crime in NO and saw it come to Atlanta..can't deny that.

SpidermanTUba
05-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Sore? nah..I thought he was the wrong choice for Atlanta though.
BUT..he knew the crime in NO and saw it come to Atlanta..can't deny that.

That's what NOPD chiefs do - they blame others for their ineffectiveness. Its almost a qualification for the job.

chesswarsnow
05-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Sorry bout that,

That's what NOPD chiefs do - they blame others for their ineffectiveness. Its almost a qualification for the job.

1. The way I see it, is the people of New Orleans suck, so they pick sucky police chiefs, and other officials.
2. I'm sure there's a box you have to check on any government application, that says,
Suck?
Don't Suck?
3. You have to pick Suck, or the shread your app.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

PostmodernProphet
05-09-2010, 05:12 PM
it's ironic that I would never have known that the New Orleans evacuees caused an upturn in violent crime where ever they went if Spider hadn't begun a thread denying it was true while posting an article that showed it was......

Mr. P
05-09-2010, 05:18 PM

Yea, and the locals swimmin in the the cesspool holler out to everyone: "Hey, come on in it really don't stink". :laugh2:

Trigg
05-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Do we really need two different threads for Tuba to extol the fabulousness of NO??????

Yep, NO is a utopia........well except for the public schools which Tuba has admitted aren't very good. Oh, and lets not forget the local NOPD....Tuba hates them also, they're so corrupt doncha know.

Yep, no where else in the US can you get good food and and a rich history :lame2:

Of course while you enjoying the history and food you better watch your back. Because the pleasant local population is just a liable to stab you in the back and offer you a plate of gumbo.

http://www.therealestatebloggers.com/2008/11/25/top-10-most-dangerous-cities-in-america-for-2008/

namvet
05-09-2010, 06:16 PM
well look who they caught stealing beer

http://i30.tinypic.com/qxpith.jpg

:laugh2::laugh2:

chesswarsnow
05-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Does anyone beside's TUba have anything good to say about New Orleans?:laugh2:

2. Namvet thats hilarious!!!!!!!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

SpidermanTUba
05-10-2010, 01:54 AM
Sorry bout that,

1. The way I see it, is the people of New Orleans suck, so they pick sucky police chiefs, and other officials.
2. I'm sure there's a box you have to check on any government application, that says,
Suck?
Don't Suck?
3. You have to pick Suck, or the shread your app.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Stop it with the fucking numbers. Try also to expand your vocabulary.

Trigg
05-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Do we really need two different threads for Tuba to extol the fabulousness of NO??????

Yep, NO is a utopia........well except for the public schools which Tuba has admitted aren't very good. Oh, and lets not forget the local NOPD....Tuba hates them also, they're so corrupt doncha know.

Yep, no where else in the US can you get good food and and a rich history :lame2:

Of course while you enjoying the history and food you better watch your back. Because the pleasant local population is just as liable to stab you in the back as offer you a plate of gumbo.

http://www.therealestatebloggers.com/2008/11/25/top-10-most-dangerous-cities-in-america-for-2008/

I'm shocked Tuba gave me positive rep for this.

Maybe he didn't understand that I was being insulting??????

I'll recap, just in case. Their public schools are awful, their police department is corrupt and they are on the list of the 10 Most Dangerous US cities.

sybarite
05-10-2010, 02:00 PM

Hey, they only killed people. At least they didn't steal a car!;)

cat slave
05-11-2010, 07:19 PM
Relevance?

My gawd! How much plainer do you need it?

revelarts
05-12-2010, 06:15 AM
Wow. How surprising, that out of a population of hundreds of thousands of people, there would be criminals.

Who would have thought.

BTW - Houston's total crime per capita was higher in 2003, 2002, and 2001 than it was in 2005 and 2006.

Looks like many Houstonians were frought with crime in 2000-2004. Slight uptick around Katrina, but not enough to restore houston to the same crime rate that Houstonians themselves were responsible for only a couple years earlier!

I can't speak for N.O. I've got a part time minister friend who grew up there, loves the place but admits there are serious problems, even before Katrina. LA in general. but the numbers for Houston are pretty impressive. I don't understand the notion that the Evacuees where terrible ne'er do wells and "murder and robbery" went up so there you have it.

I mean 240,000 people move into a city and you get around -if i'm reading the chart right-- less than 300 more crimes than the previous year. That's pretty good seems to me. 240,000 displaced people = apx240 extra crimes. That's if they even account for them all. That's a pretty small percentage any way you cut it.

I don't understand the attacks on spiderman here. Seems like he makes a valid point in this case.

SpidermanTUba
05-12-2010, 11:36 AM
I can't speak for N.O. I've got a part time minister friend who grew up there, loves the place but admits there are serious problems, even before Katrina. LA in general. but the numbers for Houston are pretty impressive. I don't understand the notion that the Evacuees where terrible ne'er do wells and "murder and robbery" went up so there you have it.

I mean 240,000 people move into a city and you get around -if i'm reading the chart right-- less than 300 more crimes than the previous year. That's pretty good seems to me. 240,000 displaced people = apx240 extra crimes. That's if they even account for them all. That's a pretty small percentage any way you cut it.

I don't understand the attacks on spiderman here. Seems like he makes a valid point in this case.

I'm guessing that the reason the murder rate went up in Houston - and not in many other cities that took in large numbers of evacuees - is because both Houston and New Orleans have gang culture. When you mix two gang cultures from two cities you will get bloodshed.

My wife had a client in Houston, a storm evacuee, that the local miscreants tried to run off, simply because she wasn't from their neighborhood. They broke into her home and beat her and her son, and then later came back when they weren't there and left their feces all over the place.

CSM
05-12-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm guessing that the reason the murder rate went up in Houston - and not in many other cities that took in large numbers of evacuees - is because both Houston and New Orleans have gang culture. When you mix two gang cultures from two cities you will get bloodshed.

My wife had a client in Houston, a storm evacuee, that the local miscreants tried to run off, simply because she wasn't from their neighborhood. They broke into her home and beat her and her son, and then later came back when they weren't there and left their feces all over the place.

Good point. I think a lot of the hype over "increased crime rate" was just that...hype. That and a ploy by local politicians to get more federal funding.

cat slave
05-13-2010, 01:55 AM
I'm shocked Tuba gave me positive rep for this.

Maybe he didn't understand that I was being insulting??????

I'll recap, just in case. Their public schools are awful, their police department is corrupt and they are on the list of the 10 Most Dangerous US cities.

And instead of improving their levy system their esteemed chocolate mayor
built casinos! Duh!

SpidermanTUba
05-13-2010, 11:03 AM
And instead of improving their levy system their esteemed chocolate mayor
built casinos! Duh!

Casino district - it never happened.

And all our levees are repaired now.

Sorry the facts get in the way of your hate.

HogTrash
05-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Does anyone beside's TUba have anything good to say about New Orleans?:laugh2:

2. Namvet thats hilarious!!!!!!!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexasI never had a problem with New Orleans untill after Katrina...Sadly, many of it's inhabitants have become so dependent that they have even lost the basic instincts of survival and common sense.

I have no sympathy or respect for people who are to stupid and helpless to evacuate for a disaster after being warned at least a week in advance and then played the role of victims of racism.

And on top of that they blamed everybody except themselves and the only effort they made to help themselves was to stand around with their hand out palm up, demanding and complaining.

For the most part, they are useless, helpless bums that take and never contribute anything back, and criminals who took advantage of a disaster to loot their neigbors homes and businesses.

Maybe it would have been better if they would have been allowed to perish in the storm and their carcuses swept out to sea...America would no doubt be a much better place without them.

SpidermanTUba
05-14-2010, 01:22 AM
I never had a problem with New Orleans untill after Katrina...Sadly, many of it's inhabitants have become so dependent that they have even lost the basic instincts of survival and common sense.

I actually think you have no fucking idea what you are talking about.
EDIT: And immediately below I will find out I am correct.

I have no sympathy or respect for people who are to stupid and helpless to evacuate for a disaster after being warned at least a week in advance and then played the role of victims of racism.

A) Conveniently, no one in New Orleans desires your sympathy or values your respect, so you can keep it.

B) Katrina had not even formed as a tropical depression a week before it hit New Orleans - it did not exist yet, you ignorant fartwad. So clearly, you have incorrect information. Maybe you should go correct your blatantly obvious severe ignorance on the issues surrounding the storm, before you go off looking down your nose and judging an entire city. That way, you won't look like a complete moron suggesting that New Orleans received warning of Katrina before it even formed.

SpidermanTUba
05-15-2010, 02:00 PM
crickets...

Trigg
05-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Casino district - it never happened.

And all our levees are repaired now.

Sorry the facts get in the way of your hate.

Excuse me???? It never happened???

They moved streets around so Herrods could have a nice new building.

As far as the levees are concerned, yes they're repaired now.

The point is they should have been repaired before the hurricane. The Times even did a story years before stating that the levees would only be able to withstand a cat3.

Knowing that, the Mayor and Governor should have had an evacuation plan in place. The damn city is BELOW SEA LEVEL, it's a fish bowl. The Mayor and Governor were caught with their pants down and instead of taking responsibility for their dismal failure they started pointing fingers.

Sitarro
05-15-2010, 08:14 PM
The Southwest part of Houston has been a war zone since the lowlife garbage washed up here after than Hurricane that missed New Orleans. I know cops that refuse to go anywhere near that hell hole. Apartment complexes have burned, many have. Murders, car jacking, rape, theft......... it's all gone up since the trash from NO came hear and ran out of the free money the taxpayers gave them.

Hey Tuba, why don't you live in New Orleans?

SpidermanTUba
05-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Excuse me???? It never happened???

They moved streets around so Herrods could have a nice new building.

You're thinking of Harrah's. They opened in 1999. Harrod's is a luxury department store. I don't think we have one here.

As far as the levees are concerned, yes they're repaired now.

The point is they should have been repaired before the hurricane. The Times even did a story years before stating that the levees would only be able to withstand a cat3.
Katrina was a Cat 3 when it hit the city.
The levees were designed decades ago to handle up to cat 3. Subsidence and rising sea levels reduced their ability to handle this, and coastal erosion reduced the ability of our wetlands to reduce storm intensity before landfall.

Repairing them would have not prevented all breeches - over-topping is what caused many of them to fail - they exceeded their design specifications.

The damn city is BELOW SEA LEVEL, it's a fish bowl.
Over half the city's population lived and lives above sea level.

The Mayor and Governor were caught with their pants down and instead of taking responsibility for their dismal failure they started pointing fingers.

You're ignorant of so many facts I don't value your judgment on this issue at all.

SpidermanTUba
05-17-2010, 10:38 AM
The Southwest part of Houston has been a war zone since the lowlife garbage washed up here after than Hurricane that missed New Orleans. I know cops that refuse to go anywhere near that hell hole. Apartment complexes have burned, many have. Murders, car jacking, rape, theft......... it's all gone up since the trash from NO came hear and ran out of the free money the taxpayers gave them.

I don't really care about your racist rant.

Hey Tuba, why don't you live in New Orleans?

I do. 7th ward. Does it not say so on my profile? Will check and update.

Sitarro
05-17-2010, 12:23 PM
I don't really care about your racist rant.

How was that a racist rant? Is New Orleans' garbage people now a race.

I do. 7th ward. Does it not say so on my profile? Will check and update.

Whatever a 7th ward. You have obviously just moved back, you have had Baton Rouge as your residence for years.

SpidermanTUba
05-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Regardless!

"Regardless of the facts, I have already made my judgment"

OK

The point is, they had plenty of time to evacuate.

Sure they did, because you've defined "plenty of time to evacuate" as however much time they had. First plenty of time it was "well over a week", then it became "several days", now its down to 2. Stop moving the goal post.

I thought I told you to discuss this in the forum.
Fair enough.

SpidermanTUba
05-17-2010, 12:50 PM
How was that a racist rant? Is New Orleans' garbage people now a race.

You aren't fooling anyone.

Whatever a 7th ward. You have obviously just moved back, you have had Baton Rouge as your residence for years.

I moved here from BR years ago, did not live here before Katrina.

LuvRPgrl
05-17-2010, 04:17 PM
Good thing murder and robbery aren't significant.

you missed the point entirely

LuvRPgrl
05-17-2010, 04:20 PM

Yea, of course if 240,000 people of any type move into a city, the sheer numbers of murders and other crimes are going to increase.
So, the point that a CRIME WAVE never occurred is certainly obviouis and true.

Spidermantuba, I thought you were a liberal

LuvRPgrl
05-17-2010, 04:27 PM

not to mention 5 of the 8 werent from NO.

Sounds to me like the 5 locals wwere or would have been planning this anyways, since it was against locals and it was considered partially a retalitory action (since the katrina evacuees didnt have any experiences with the murdered men, it couldnt have been retaliation for them), and they probably met the katrina guys and had them join in.

In other words, it would have happened, Katrina evacuees or no.

LuvRPgrl
05-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Sorry bout that,

2. Polictical Correctness has nothing on me.
4. Doesn't say much for anyone who boasts about New Orleans really.:poke:
5. New Orleans is dubbed *open sewer* from CWN, and I nailed it!:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

So, you are saying there are no honest law abiding black citizens in NO?

Its that type of stupidity that gives political correctness its legs.

Binky
05-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. Yeah that *Chocolate City* will get you *Chocolate Dead*!!!
2. Its a fact.
3. When you get real, you get real.
4. What parts do you stay out of after dark?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

The chocolate part....:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2: