PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone celebrate Cinco de Mayo?

gabosaurus
05-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I was thinking many of pulled your Mexican flags out of the closet, hung up a pinata and grilled some enchiladas while throwing back a Tecate or two.

I took my daughter out of school and let her stay with my sister and her husband in East Los Angeles. They have a huge Cinco de Mayo celebration over there. It's a good way for my daughter to learn about different cultures and how they celebrate their heritage.

SassyLady
05-09-2010, 09:17 PM
I was thinking many of pulled your Mexican flags out of the closet, hung up a pinata and grilled some enchiladas while throwing back a Tecate or two.

I took my daughter out of school and let her stay with my sister and her husband in East Los Angeles. They have a huge Cinco de Mayo celebration over there. It's a good way for my daughter to learn about different cultures and how they celebrate their heritage.

My daughter's inlaws are Mexican and none of them celebrated because they say it's not the real day of independence .... just the white people's version.

Mr. P
05-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Nope, never have.

chesswarsnow
05-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Sorry bout that,

1. I ate a nacho,....does that count?:laugh2:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Gaffer
05-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Mexican independence day is Sept 16th.

cinco de mayo is just a drinking festival that's not even celebrated in Mexico except for around Puebla Mexico where the battle against the French took place. It's only celebrated in the US by party goers as an excuse to drink.

It was the only battle the Mexican forces won against the french.

HogTrash
05-09-2010, 10:35 PM
I wonder how many 4th of July celebrations there are in Mexico every year? :cheers2: :salute:

gabosaurus
05-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Cinco de Mayo is a bit like St. Patrick's Day. It is a time when those of Mexican heritage living outside Mexico celebrate who they are. You can also compare it to Chinese New Year or Oktoberfest.
If your employment moved you to the Middle East, Asia or Europe, would you to be told you couldn't celebrate July 4th, Thanksgiving or Christmas? If you lived in France and had an American flag flying on July 4th, would you accept someone coming by and taking it down?
Obviously this is not a forum of tolerance and understanding, but you might at least think about it.

I would rather have the Mexicans take over the country than Republicans. My relatives would take care of me. They would probably take care of you as well. Just not in the same manner. :lmao:

SassyLady
05-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Cinco de Mayo is a bit like St. Patrick's Day. It is a time when those of Mexican heritage living outside Mexico celebrate who they are. You can also compare it to Chinese New Year or Oktoberfest.
If your employment moved you to the Middle East, Asia or Europe, would you to be told you couldn't celebrate July 4th, Thanksgiving or Christmas? If you lived in France and had an American flag flying on July 4th, would you accept someone coming by and taking it down?
Obviously this is not a forum of tolerance and understanding, but you might at least think about it.

I would rather have the Mexicans take over the country than Republicans. My relatives would take care of me. They would probably take care of you as well. Just not in the same manner. :lmao:

Gabby .... I would not walk the streets of whatever country I chose to live in chanting USA! USA! USA! and LONG LIVE AMERICA!! while badmouthing the country I was living in. Think about it Gabby, do you really think living in the Middle East or Asia that they would tolerate a parade in everyone of their cities on July 4th to commemorate our national holiday? Give me a break.........:laugh2::laugh2:

actsnoblemartin
05-10-2010, 12:47 AM
how i wish the french would have won

:laugh2:

cinco de mayo is just a drinking festival that's not even celebrated in Mexico except for around Puebla Mexico where the battle against the French took place. It's only celebrated in the US by party goers as an excuse to drink.

actsnoblemartin
05-10-2010, 12:48 AM
no she wont, she really is that stupid :thumb:

Gabby .... I would not walk the streets of whatever country I chose to live in chanting USA! USA! USA! and LONG LIVE AMERICA!! while badmouthing the country I was living in. Think about it Gabby, do you really think living in the Middle East or Asia that they would tolerate a parade in everyone of their cities on July 4th to commemorate our national holiday? Give me a break.........:laugh2::laugh2:

DragonStryk72
05-10-2010, 01:25 AM

So, it's the mexican st. Patrick's day?

Gaffer
05-10-2010, 07:08 AM
how i wish the french would have won

:laugh2:

The French did win. They went back a while later and took out the garrison then marched to Mexico City and took it. They controlled Mexico until 1865, when our civil war ended and men and equipment were sent to Mexico to help them over throw the French. The French had to get out or face a war with the US.

jimnyc
05-10-2010, 08:02 AM
I've learned a lot from liberal tolerance. I used said tolerance and burned a Mexican flag.

crin63
05-10-2010, 10:03 AM
I sent $100 to the State of Arizona on cinco de mayo to celebrate their willingness to enforce federal laws.

Gaffer
05-10-2010, 10:49 AM
So, it's the mexican st. Patrick's day?

Yeah more like that than anything else, just an excuse to party.

gabosaurus
05-10-2010, 11:23 AM
I've learned a lot from liberal tolerance. I used said tolerance and burned a Mexican flag.

If you want to teach your kids hatred and bigotry, that is fine with me. It has obviously worked well for your family.
I prefer to teach my daughter love and diversity.

Trigg
05-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I didn't celebrate it, but then I don't celebrate Chinese new year either since I'm not Chinese.

As far as your question regarding living in another country.

My sister lives in Finland (I'm sure I've mentioned this). She celebrates July 4th and Thanksgiving. What she doesn't do is DEMAND that everyone stop flying the Finnish flag at her children's schools during these holidays.

That's the difference gabby. Just like the school children who were "disrespected" because some Americans had the audacity to wear American flag shirts to an American school.

No one is telling Mexican Americans that they can't celebrate their holidays. Just like they shouldn't be demanding that we put our flags away.

Little-Acorn
05-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Gabby seems to feel that knuckling under to these Mex-American students' complete intolerance of the American flag, even in an American school during a holiday of mostly American vintage, somehow shows "tolerance".

And the worst part - she's in a position to teach this muddleheaded tripe to innocent kids who had come to her for sensible advice instead.

sybarite
05-10-2010, 01:07 PM

It sounds like your Mexican relatives are members of La Raza.

sybarite
05-10-2010, 02:19 PM

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc68/snowridergo/obamasupportingtheillegal.jpg

hjmick
05-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Why would I celebrate Cinco de Mayo?

gabosaurus
05-10-2010, 03:10 PM
No one is forcing anyone to celebrate any holiday. But why oppose anyone who chooses to do so?
No one is "knuckling under" any type of "demands." The school district that I work for is more than 50 percent Latino. Of course we cater to them. Our object is to keep kids in school, get them to learn and then graduate. If we can get kids to graduate, they won't get stuck in dead end jobs.

My question is, why try to aggravate the situation? If a kid never wear an American flag pin a single day, but suddenly decides to wear it on a certain day, what does that tell you? Obviously that he or she is a troublemaker.

Mr. P
05-10-2010, 03:19 PM
No one is forcing anyone to celebrate any holiday. But why oppose anyone who chooses to do so?
No one is "knuckling under" any type of "demands." The school district that I work for is more than 50 percent Latino. Of course we cater to them. Our object is to keep kids in school, get them to learn and then graduate. If we can get kids to graduate, they won't get stuck in dead end jobs.

My question is, why try to aggravate the situation? If a kid never wear an American flag pin a single day, but suddenly decides to wear it on a certain day, what does that tell you? Obviously that he or she is a troublemaker.

It tells me even the kids are fed up with ILLEGALS.

Little-Acorn
05-10-2010, 03:42 PM
No one is "knuckling under" any type of "demands." Our object is to keep kids in school, get them to learn and then graduate.

Some unnamed students threatened to start fights due to four kids wearing American Flag shirts. That was a demand that the kids not wear them. The administrators strangely agreed, and told the kids to take them off or reverse them. That's knuckling under to thuggish demands. Next thing you know, half the kids in the school are staying home, for their parents fear of fights.

Great job of "keeping kids in school and getting them to learn". :poke:

To say nothing of teaching kids what's right. :lol:

It's a measure of gabby's stupidity, that she still doesn't get this, when it's the clearest example of what NOT to do I've ever seen in a school setting.

LiberalNation
05-10-2010, 03:43 PM
I ates me some mexican food, thats it.

sybarite
05-10-2010, 04:39 PM
It tells me even the kids are fed up with ILLEGALS.:clap::clap::clap:

05-10-2010, 06:47 PM
I celebrate the Fourth of July. Sorry.

jimnyc
05-11-2010, 07:34 AM
If you want to teach your kids hatred and bigotry, that is fine with me. It has obviously worked well for your family.
I prefer to teach my daughter love and diversity.

Where did I state anything about teaching anything to kids? And my family certainly need not recognize a foreign country in order to understand love and diversity. My son is the most lovable little boy and goes to a school that is quite diversified and he's friends with anyone and everyone - teachers, black students, Asian, Mexican, girls, boys... They recognized Cinco de Mayo at his school and had a mini celebration.

And while he did that I was pouring the lighter fluid on their Flag. :coffee:

cat slave
05-11-2010, 07:09 PM

So, whatcha got planned for The Day of the Dead????

cat slave
05-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Where did I state anything about teaching anything to kids? And my family certainly need not recognize a foreign country in order to understand love and diversity. My son is the most lovable little boy and goes to a school that is quite diversified and he's friends with anyone and everyone - teachers, black students, Asian, Mexican, girls, boys... They recognized Cinco de Mayo at his school and had a mini celebration.

And while he did that I was pouring the lighter fluid on their Flag. :coffee:

:salute::clap::salute:

cat slave
05-11-2010, 09:04 PM

Hell no, we are Americans...we dont have Mexican flags
in the closet or out.

cat slave
05-11-2010, 09:05 PM

Hear, hear....:clap:

Sitarro
05-12-2010, 02:49 AM
I went to Taco bell, ate a few burritos and took a steamy dump on a mexican flag.......... I then wrapped it up and sent it to that dimwit Governor of your state.

chloe
05-13-2010, 08:05 AM

I wore a Sombrero and smoked a swisher sweet:cool:

HogTrash
05-13-2010, 10:45 AM
My annual Cinco de Mayo celebration consists of spending a day in the country target practicing.

I usually load up the family and guns, drive down to the border and spend the day popping mexi-cans. ;)

krisy
05-15-2010, 12:49 PM
Our neighbor is Mexican. Well,the father is. We are close to their family and our kids are best friends. They go to Mexico every year for 3 weeks in the summer. They didn't do a darn thing for Cinco de Mayo.

The only reason any Americans celebrate it is because it is yet another reason to get drunk and party. Does anyone really belive they are actually celebrating Mexican victory?:laugh2:

krisy
05-15-2010, 12:51 PM
I went to Taco bell, ate a few burritos and took a steamy dump on a mexican flag.......... I then wrapped it up and sent it to that dimwit Governor of your state.

:laugh2::laugh2:

This sounds just like something my husband would say...

Am I right gaffer and Trinity?

Gaffer
05-15-2010, 02:59 PM
:laugh2::laugh2:

This sounds just like something my husband would say...

Am I right gaffer and Trinity?

Absolutely right.

HogTrash
05-15-2010, 07:14 PM
I went to Taco bell, ate a few burritos and took a steamy dump on a mexican flag.......... I then wrapped it up and sent it to that dimwit Governor of your state.Anybody ever tell you that you look like the late great Whalen Jennings?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1mw4ImMUmQ&feature=related
RIP :beer:

remie
05-19-2010, 02:21 PM

Considering I am not Mexicar or Irish, I saw no need to celebrate anything.