PDA

View Full Version : Obama to nominate Harriet Miers to Supreme Court?

Little-Acorn
05-10-2010, 12:49 AM
Well, maybe not Miers herself, but the left-wing equivalent. Someone who has worked directly for Obama as a lawyer, but who has no judicial experience, and so no paper trail of written opinions by which we can possibly judge how she will rule on the Supreme Court.

Such a lack of a paper trial was probably one of the reasons George W. Bush nominated Harriet Miers many years ago. And is equally probable one of the reasons Obama may nominate Elena Kagan. The opposition can't point to anything and say, "See? Look what a terrible decision she made here! And there!" Because there isn't anything to point to.

Bush tried to assure conservatives that Miers wouldn't turn into a Souter and start handing down leftist violations of the constitution as "opinions". But conservatives weren't content to go along with his assurances alone, and demanded "proof". There was no proof to offer, and eventually Miers dropped out.

Will leftists demand "proof" that Kagan isn't a closet conservative? Or will they be willing to take the Obama administration's word?

-----------------------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_supreme_court

AP source: Obama chooses Kagan for Supreme Court

by BEN FELLER – 8 mins ago

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama will nominate Solicitor General Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court, a person familiar with the president's thinking said Sunday night.

The move positions the court to have three female justices for the first time in history.

The source spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision had not been made public. Obama will announce his choice at 10 a.m. Monday in the East Room of the White House.

Known as sharp and politically savvy, Kagan has led a blazing legal career: first female dean of Harvard Law School, first woman to serve as the top Supreme Court lawyer for any administration, and now first in Obama's mind to succeed legendary liberal Justice John Paul Stevens.

At 50 years old, Kagan would be the youngest justice on the court, one of many factors working in her favor. She has the chance to extend Obama's legacy for a generation.

Kagan must first win Senate confirmation.

A source close to the selection process said a central element in Obama's choice was Kagan's reputation for bringing together people of competing views and earning their respect.

Kagan came to the fore as a candidate who had worked closely with all three branches of government, a legal mind with both a sense of modesty and sense of humor. The source spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss factors that led to Kagan's impending nomination.

Kagan has clerked for Thurgood Marshall, worked for Bill Clinton and earned a stellar reputation as a student, teacher and manager of the elite academic world. Her standing has risen in Obama's eyes as his government's lawyer before the high court over the last year.

Yet Kagan would be the first justice without judicial experience in almost 40 years. All of the three other finalists she beat out for the job are federal appeals court judges, and all nine of the current justices served on the federal bench before being elevated.

Kagan's fate will be up to a Senate dominated by Democrats, who with 59 votes have more than enough to confirm her, even though they are one shy of being to halt any Republican stalling effort.

For the second straight summer, the nation can expected an intense Supreme Court confirmation debate even though, barring a surprise, Kagan is likely to emerge as a justice.

Supreme Court justices wield enormous power over the daily life of Americans. Any one of them can cast the deciding vote on matters of life and death, individual freedoms and government power. Presidents serve four-year terms; justices have tenure for life.

Republicans have shown no signs in advance that they would try to prevent a vote on Kagan, but they are certain to grill her in confirmation hearings over her experience, her thin record of legal writings and her objections to the military's policy about gays.

When she was confirmed as solicitor general in 2009, only seven Republicans backed her.

SassyLady
05-10-2010, 01:07 AM
At this point it hurts my brain to even begin to try and figure out what the left will do. They are all over the board lately. I never understood the "sheeple" concept until Obama was elected ..... now, I see it all over the place.

I would hope the left would question whether she would turn up conservative, but I can't imagine they will. I wonder if they will ask her the same questions they asked Roberts.

DragonStryk72
05-10-2010, 01:20 AM
first female dean of Harvard Law School, first woman to serve as the top Supreme Court lawyer for any administration, and now first in Obama's mind to succeed legendary liberal Justice John Paul Stevens.

Sorry, but there has to be a paper trail somewhere, having been a lawyer for years, apparently, along with the dean of Harvard. There's no way at all that she hasn't uttered a single opinion in 30+ years of here adult life, not given those positions that she's held.

Of course, this just makes it more likely that there's some skeletons in the closet somewhere, but still, she does at least have not on direct legal experience, but legal experience with the Supreme Court, and being the head of the most prestigious law school in the country. I can't fault her on those points. Now, horribly liberal leanings, sure, I mean, there's not shot in hell she doesn't have them, and it will be interesting to see them try to dance around the issue.

PostmodernProphet
05-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Sorry, but there has to be a paper trail somewhere, having been a lawyer for years, apparently, along with the dean of Harvard. There's no way at all that she hasn't uttered a single opinion in 30+ years of here adult life, not given those positions that she's held.

Of course, this just makes it more likely that there's some skeletons in the closet somewhere, but still, she does at least have not on direct legal experience, but legal experience with the Supreme Court, and being the head of the most prestigious law school in the country. I can't fault her on those points. Now, horribly liberal leanings, sure, I mean, there's not shot in hell she doesn't have them, and it will be interesting to see them try to dance around the issue.

the problem is, her writings will primarily be arguments.....in other words, putting forth the ideas needed to win her client's case.....this tells you very little about her personal beliefs......

LiberalNation
05-10-2010, 08:25 AM
I love Obama, he's stacking the courts with women.

CSM
05-10-2010, 08:55 AM
I love Obama, he's stacking the courts with women.

That's nice but I would prefer he stack the courts with JUDGES!

LiberalNation
05-10-2010, 09:02 AM
she ran havard, she is qualifed and more centrist than the guys she's replacing.

They harp on her not being for recruiters on campus do to eo rules and I think she is right. The military wouldn't change their rules for the college, why should the college for the military. They will find a much more welcoming enviorment on most of these campuses when dadt is done away with. Equal oppurtunity employers on campus only.

She looks lez to me but who knows, may be happily married to a dude.

jimnyc
05-10-2010, 09:09 AM
she ran havard, she is qualifed and more centrist than the guys she's replacing.

Since she will be judging some of the most important cases our nation faces - what in her experience qualifies her to perform such a role as judge?

CSM
05-10-2010, 09:16 AM

They harp on her not being for recruiters on campus do to eo rules and I think she is right. The military wouldn't change their rules for the college, why should the college for the military. They will find a much more welcoming enviorment on most of these campuses when dadt is done away with. Equal oppurtunity employers on campus only.

She looks lez to me but who knows, may be happily married to a dude.

More qualified in what way?

As for colleges, I have no problem with their stance. However, I don't think they should be taking any government grants for the very same reasons and yet they have no problem with taking tax payer money for whatever crazy "research" they can think of. I doubt that colleges will get any friendlier to the military when and if "Don't ask; Don't tell" gets changed. EO employers on campus only eh? Care to find out how many conservative employers are welcome on campuses across the country?

I suspect every woman looks like a lez to you, mostly due to wishful thinking I suspect.

LiberalNation
05-10-2010, 09:55 AM
she is solicitor general and has argued cases before the sc, that makes her more than qualified. And running Havard Law of course.

Look at her pic, short cropped hair.

jimnyc
05-10-2010, 10:04 AM
she is solicitor general and has argued cases before the sc, that makes her more than qualified.

You do realize that if I sued someone I could keep taking it up the ladder and potentially have my suit appealed all the way to the SC. Potentially I could then give my argument before the SC judges. That would make me qualified?

She will be a JUDGE and has ZERO experience doing so. IMO, one should have a track record of judging cases that can be looked over before taking on such a roll. I'm not saying it's impossible for someone to succeed and be impartial without the experience, but it's better IMO to have someone there with a proven track record of doing so.

CSM
05-10-2010, 10:31 AM
she is solicitor general and has argued cases before the sc, that makes her more than qualified. And running Havard Law of course.

Do you know how many cases she has argued since her appointment in March of last year? Did you know that Harvard Law is widely known to be "dysfunctional" among academic circles (not necessarily because of her though)? Did you know that other than a political appointment by both Clinton and Obama she has ZERO experience as a judge and will be the first appointee in 40 YEARS with with no experience as a judge? Did you know that she was a HUGE supporter of Bush's stance on executive powers, particularly when it comes to dealing with terrorism and terrorists? Did you know that she is apparently a supporter of Obama's stance on executive powers when it comes to terrorism and terrorists (which coincidently happen to be the same as Bush's)?

It appears that you think her primary qualification is that she MIGHT be gay!

Monkeybone
05-10-2010, 10:31 AM

that the thing... she argued cases... nothing from her about what she thinks or believes. no experience... just presenting.

but then again community organizing is the same as country running in most minds apparently...

LiberalNation
05-10-2010, 10:52 AM
that's what lawyers do. Ya'll should be happy, she is far more centrist than the guy she's replacing. Expect someone far more liberal if she is not accepted.

Little-Acorn
05-10-2010, 11:28 AM
There's no way at all that she hasn't uttered a single opinion in 30+ years of here adult life

If you find one, please let us know. I'd love to hear it.

As a lawyer, she does not utter her own opinions. She utters the opinions of people who pay her, and her job is to make that person's opinion prevail whether it's constitutional or not.

I've already pointed out the most important similarity to Harriet Miers' nomination by GWB, namely that both were judicial appointees with no paper trail of past decisions from which we can discern whether they will support the Constitution or not.

When confronted with such a nominee, conservatives balked, complained, and ultimately caused Miers to withdraw her name from consideration. Getting W's personal assurance that Miers would be a law-abiding judge (might well have been true), conservatives replied resoundingly, "That's not good enough!".

Now that leftists have the same opportunity to evaluate an un-evaluateable nominee (is that a word?), it will be interesting to see their reaction.

Conservatives refused to march in lockstep with their "leaders" when they had the chance. Will liberals now fall into line as directed by their handlers in the Obama administration, and sing Kagan's praises though they have no more grounds for doing so than conservatives did with Miers?

Trigg
05-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Liberalnation is a great example of what is wrong in this country.

ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh she's a woman and hey maybe she's gay like me. I LOVE HER!!!!!!! GIVE HER THE JOB!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you know she's more centrist, did the MSM tell you????? You certainly can't look at what she's ruled on, because she's never ruled on anything.

Little Acorn makes a great point.

Gaffer
05-10-2010, 12:50 PM
As a lawyer, she does not utter her own opinions. She utters the opinions of people who pay her, and her job is to make that person's opinion prevail whether it's constitutional or not.

This is what she will do on the court as well. That's why she's been selected.