PDA

View Full Version : Post "Thanks" to other members posts

jimnyc
05-11-2010, 08:02 AM
Many times a member wants to thank another member for a useful post but really don't want to post a reply. Many also DO reply just to say "thanks".

Now you will notice a "Thanks" button near where you would hit reply on everyone else's posts. When you do so, it will appear underneath that you thanked the user for that post. Also, in the users profile in the "statistics" section it will show how many times they have been thanked - as well as in their postbit section just above their reputation.

Let me know your thoughts on this addition and whether or not it's useful, as I can easily remove it if you don't find it handy.

Look at this thread for an example where I thanked a member:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=27701

jimnyc
05-11-2010, 08:06 AM
I can also set this to add a certain amount of rep points to the receiving user of said thanks. If you guys/gals want this option, let me know, and also let me know what would be an appropriate amount of rep points to give out when thanking a user for a good post.

Gaffer
05-11-2010, 08:24 AM
I like it. It's quick and easy.

CSM
05-11-2010, 08:26 AM
I like it as well.

hjmick
05-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Now if you could just add a STFU button...

stephanie
05-11-2010, 08:45 AM

:laugh2:

HogTrash
05-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Nice move Jimmy...You have made my mothers favorite word easily accessible...I like it!

[did anyone else's mom seem to spend too much time reminding you to say 'please' and 'thankyou'?]

[sometimes accompanied by a quick slap to the back of the head?] :slap:

Abbey Marie
05-11-2010, 09:07 AM
I like it!

SassyLady
05-11-2010, 11:01 AM
perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect!

crin63
05-11-2010, 11:48 AM
I suggest 25%-50% the rep points for every thanks.

red states rule
05-11-2010, 07:35 PM
I like it Jim. Great addition to the board

actsnoblemartin
05-11-2010, 07:53 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

gabosaurus
05-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Please explain how "thanking" a person differs from "repping" them. It is basically the same concept.
I would go with "thanking" if you did away with the "rep" system, which is basically a cyber circle jerk for like minded posters.

HogTrash
05-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Please explain how "thanking" a person differs from "repping" them. It is basically the same concept.
I would go with "thanking" if you did away with the "rep" system, which is basically a cyber circle jerk for like minded posters.Good point! :popcorn: I think? :confused:

CSM
05-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Good point! :popcorn: I think? :confused:

It's there...use it or not. Nothing indicates that either rep or thanks are required. Could be wrong about this I suppose.

HogTrash
05-12-2010, 11:59 AM
It's there...use it or not. Nothing indicates that either rep or thanks are required. Could be wrong about this I suppose.I'm reserving my final opinion based on Jims response.

I will accept the findings of the experts...I suppose? :dunno:

Dammit Gabby!...Of all the times to begin thinking rationally.

Mr. P
05-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I can see "thanks" overcoming "rep" because it seems there is no "spread it around" limit.

MtnBiker
05-12-2010, 12:23 PM
I would go with "thanking" if you did away with the "rep" system, which is basically a cyber circle jerk for like minded posters.

If you notice just below Jim's first post in this thread many people have "thanked" Jim and those thanks are publicly view. Whereas a rep comment is not publicly noted as well as rep can be both positive and negative. And a "thanks" will not add to a members weight when giving out "thanks". These are just a few differences I noticed in the 3 seconds I gave it some thought.

hjmick
05-12-2010, 12:47 PM
If you notice just below Jim's first post in this thread many people have "thanked" Jim and those thanks are publicly view. Whereas a rep comment is not publicly noted as well as rep can be both positive and negative. And a "thanks" will not add to a members weight when giving out "thanks". These are just a few differences I noticed in the 3 seconds I gave it some thought.

Wait... You gave it some thought before reacting?

Huh...

I'll have to think about that...

Abbey Marie
05-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Nothing stirs up the urge to complain quite like a rep discussion. :laugh2:

gabosaurus
05-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Sorry, still don't get it. On this board, if you like what someone has to say, the poster usually get positive "rep." I believe the "like" function to be redundant.
If there is a "like" option, there needs to be a "Total BS" option as well.

jimnyc
05-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Sorry, still don't get it. On this board, if you like what someone has to say, the poster usually get positive "rep." I believe the "like" function to be redundant.

Gabs, I think MtnBiker pretty much covered it. Sometimes I read a post while members are in a heated debate, and I would rather rep someone privately so as not to get in between their battle. Sometimes I want to neg rep someone and let them know they are a shithead without disrupting a thread. The "thanks" option is great for when someone posts a great video that no one else could find or has seen, for when someone posts a picture of their family and has shared with us when they didn't have to, for when someone truly opens up about a personal experience.

When you rep someone it remains private. When you "thank" someone, you are not only thanking them but showing the entire community that you appreciated their post.

Can it be looked at as a tad redundant? Yes. Can it still be used by friends only to raise their "thanks" count in their profile? Yes. But just as the rep system, this is mean to be a fun addition to the board and not to be a true measuring stick of someones worthiness or posting ability.

You do not have to participate with the rep system just as you do not have to participate with this new thanks system. There is no negative option in this add-on and I thought it would be good to have something completely positive for the board where those like yourself who don't like the option cannot be "hurt" by it.

crin63
05-12-2010, 07:21 PM

Gabs there is no need for a, "Total BS" option. We already get your posts. :coffee:

red states rule
05-12-2010, 07:25 PM

Gabby, you are something else. Your sneer lights up any room you walk in to.

SassyLady
05-13-2010, 01:59 AM

Spoken like a true progressive ... let's not promote anything that doesn't include everyone so no one feels left out. Gabby ... just because you choose to participate on a board made up of "like minded" people who like to give back slaps and high fives in public and you are not always included ... is not enough reason to shitcan the idea.

To me the "thanks" button is like a high-five and the rep is more of a private pat on the back for a job well done. I like the rep because it lets me know who is willing to take the time to connect with other people and let them know they are appreciated.

SassyLady
05-13-2010, 02:01 AM

Thank you for clarfying this MtnBkr.

chloe
05-13-2010, 07:56 AM

Yeah I like Repping because its private between you and the Poster, but some people like to show displays of affection and appreciation so that is the purpose of public Thanks.

82Marine89
05-22-2010, 07:20 PM

That would be when you agree with someone. We then know to take their post as total BS.