PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider yourself a virtuous person?

05-11-2010, 10:50 AM
I've been pondering the issue of virtue lately for a number of reasons. I think it's very important, yet even more so neglected. So I wanted to start some discussion on it flesh out some of my ideas and see if I can get other people to think about it as well.

Look at every issue we have in society. One of the biggest underlying issue is causing our problems is a lack of virtue. In particular:

Honesty/Integrity
Civility
Charity
Patience
Personal Responsibility
Work ethic

Etc

We live in a culture where by default we turn to the government to solve our problems and make new laws or enforce new laws. But we neglect developing virtues in our own life. It's not so much "what we are doing?" as "who are we becoming?"

Ben Franklin had 13 virtues he worked developing in his life. He worked on one each week. And look at what amazing things he did. I believe that virtue gives you power to accomplish amazing things in your life. In fact, I looked up the definition a few days ago and found this (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/virtue):

Main Entry: vir·tue
Pronunciation: \ˈvər-(ˌ)chü\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English vertu, virtu, from Anglo-French, from Latin virtut-, virtus strength, manliness, virtue, from vir man — more at virile
Date: 13th century
1 a : conformity to a standard of right : morality b : a particular moral excellence
2 plural : an order of angels — see celestial hierarchy
3 : a beneficial quality or power of a thing
4 : manly strength or courage : valor
5 : a commendable quality or trait : merit
6 : a capacity to act : potency
7 : chastity especially in a woman

Like I said, my thoughts are still in early stages, but I am feeling this is really important. I want to get as much information and angles to look at this as possible.

I'm going to post Ben Fraklin's virtues shortly. I'd love some discussion on those as well.

Abbey Marie
05-11-2010, 04:37 PM
I have had similar thoughts and comments on "integrity". I noticed your definition uses it a as component of virtue. That is interesting. I am not sure that is a correct relationship (need to think about it more), but either way, they are both, imo, of great importance to individuals and society, and are both greatly lacking today.

As for your question, I consider myself a sinner who struggles to be virtuous and quite often fails. (I do not mean I fail sexually- I think when people hear the root "virtue, that is where their minds tend to go).

I do try to have integrity in all my dealings, though, and almost always succeed there.

05-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I am wondering if you have any methods of working on any virtues in your life.

I was thinking of starting something like Ben Franklin did and work on one every week and hopefully slowly grow.

HogTrash
05-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Although I now practice much more self restraint in my grey years I would have to say that my life overall has been an un-virtuous one.

The one decent thing I did manage to do was to never flaunt my lifestyle in the faces of others or demand they accept my immoralities.

05-11-2010, 09:22 PM
Although I now practice much more self restraint in my grey years I would have to say that my life overall has been an un-virtuous one.

The one decent thing I did manage to do was to never flaunt my lifestyle in the faces of others or demand they accept my immoralities.

Honesty is a good virtue.

SassyLady
05-11-2010, 11:01 PM
I don't know if I would lable myself as virtuous (too much imp in me) ..... I do work at treating everyone with dignity and respect as much as possible. Sometimes I fail ... for the most part I think I have succeeded.

gabosaurus
05-13-2010, 12:40 PM
I didn't possess the greatest moral values growing up (damm raging hormones!), but I tried to exercise virtue in other respects.
When it comes to the other virtues that avatar pointed out, I believe my parents did a good job instilling those in my sister and I.

Honesty/Integrity -- I've always believed in this to a fault. I tell my daughter that being wrong is much more honorable than lying.
Civility -- perhaps not as much as I should. As you might have guessed, I am fairly argumentative.
Charity -- Again, probably not as much as I should.
Patience -- I excel in this department. You have to be patient to work with kids.
Personal Responsibility /Work ethic -- my parents stressed these two things every day. Look at yourself before you blame others. Do your own work.
I believe the worst mistake a parent can make is overprotecting their kid. The creation of the so-called "nanny society." Parents need to accept that their kids can be wrong and do actually get into trouble. It's not always the fault of someone else.

05-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Maybe it shouldn't surprise me, but I actually agree with what Gabby is saying here.