PDA

View Full Version : Md. 1st to bar schools releasing tests to military

LiberalNation
05-12-2010, 02:32 PM
stupid, there is no reason to take the asvab if you aren't going to release the score to the military, they are the only one that uses them.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100512/ap_on_re_us/us_military_testing_students

ANNAPOLIS, Md. – A first-of-its-kind law bars public high schools in Maryland from automatically sending student scores on a widely used military aptitude test to recruiters, a practice that critics say was giving the armed forces backdoor access to young people without their parents' consent.

School districts around the country have the choice of whether to administer the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery exam, and ones that offer it typically pass the scores and students' contact information directly to the military. Topics on the test range from math and reading to knowledge of electronics and automobiles.

The Maryland law, the first in the nation after similar California legislation was vetoed, was signed last month and bars schools from automatically releasing the information to military recruiters. Instead, students, and their parents if they are under 18, will have to decide whether to give the information to the military. The law takes effect in July. One other state, Hawaii, has a similar policy for its schools, but not a law.

Roughly 650,000 U.S. high school students took the exam in the 2008-2009 school year, and the Department of Defense says scores for 92 percent of them were automatically sent to military recruiters. In the fiscal year that ended in September, 7.6 percent of those who enlisted in the military used scores from the test as part of their applications.

Nancy Grasmick, Maryland Superintendent of Schools, said in a letter to lawmakers that the test and score analysis are "free services that public schools often utilize as part of their ongoing career development and exploration programs." Grasmick took no position on the legislation in her letter and did not respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press.

Mr. P
05-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Just more liberal BS, LN. They know what's better for you.

SassyLady
05-12-2010, 03:05 PM
I wonder if the schools are barred from sending scores of ANY type of test to any TYPE of institution......or just the military?

What is it with anti-military people anyway? Do they really think that if we had no military the bad people would leave us alone?

Just makes me want to cuss a blue streak (or a.k.a. like Glock and Spidey)!!!

HogTrash
05-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Unless there is something I'm overlooking, I believe it's a good idea to not make this information available to the government or private sector without written consent from the student or parents.

I'm with the state on this one.

LiberalNation
05-12-2010, 03:22 PM
Then simply don't take the test, it's not mandatory.The only reason to take it is so the military can see if you are qualified for enlistment.

HogTrash
05-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Then simply don't take the test, it's not mandatory.The only reason to take it is so the military can see if you are qualified for enlistment.I agree...The test should be explained and voluntary...Problem solved and taxpayer dollars saved...See how easy that was?

DragonStryk72
05-12-2010, 04:58 PM
I agree...The test should be explained and voluntary...Problem solved and taxpayer dollars saved...See how easy that was?

Yeah, but it's likely the schools are still going to do the test anyhow, it will just not have any real meaning now. I mean, were there really any serious complaints from parents about this? Colleges seem to be doing well also, so I just don't see the problem that was occurring.

From what I've seen, most of the schools that offer the ASVAB are also the schools that have JROTC, and they send the scores on because of the JROTC crowd, who are obviously much more likely to go into the military right after high school.

Yes, it should be explained, and the test by needs should be voluntary, but aside from that, there's really no reason not to send it on.

revelarts
05-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I agree with hog 100% on this one.

Gov't's Got too much info on people already.

LiberalNation
05-12-2010, 07:28 PM
they'll get all the males names anyway when they register for the draft.