PDA

View Full Version : Pa. police cite hundreds just for cursing

LiberalNation
05-12-2010, 05:14 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100512/ap_on_re_us/us_swearing_citations_lawsuits

swearing, the American Civil Liberties Union said in a pair of free-speech lawsuits filed Wednesday.

ACLU lawyers reviewed 770 disorderly conduct citations issued by Pennsylvania State Police in a recent one-year span. They said they found that while officers applied the law correctly in some cases, the majority involved profanities and other legal, nonobscene speech.

The lawsuits' plaintiffs are a pizza delivery driver briefly jailed for cursing at a local officer over a parking ticket and a Luzerne County woman cited by state police for hurling a derogatory name at a swerving motorcyclist.

Pennsylvania's disorderly conduct statute carries a possible 90-day jail term and $300 fine. The woman paid $1,500 to fight the ticket, while the deliveryman lost $560 in wages and had to pay a $75 towing fee, the suits state.

"You absolutely cannot cite someone just for uttering a profanity," said ACLU lawyer Marieke Tuthill.

The problem is ultimately a lack of police training, most likely because officers misunderstand "the difference between the colloquial definition of obscenity and the legal definition of obscenity," she said.

The Pennsylvania Supreme Court follows U.S. Supreme Court holdings on obscenity, which refers to speech that is more violent, graphic and sexual than the seven dirty words of George Carlin fame, Tuthill said.

State police had not yet seen the lawsuit and had no immediate response, said Lt. Myra Taylor, a spokeswoman.

hjmick
05-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Assholes.

HogTrash
05-12-2010, 06:07 PM
The badge and gun in combination have been known to create arrogant prima donas with superiority complexes and inflated egos.

There are people that have done hard time in prisons for no other reason than pissing some cop off who was having a bad hair day.

I've told my children in no uncertain terms to never fuck with a cop...They have the power to ruin your life so don't spin their cylinder.

05-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Being associated with PA cops and knowing how some of them bend the truth at times, I'm not sure I buy the claims here.

Insein
05-13-2010, 11:16 AM
The badge and gun in combination have been known to create arrogant prima donas with superiority complexes and inflated egos.

There are people that have done hard time in prisons for no other reason than pissing some cop off who was having a bad hair day.

I've told my children in no uncertain terms to never fuck with a cop...They have the power to ruin your life so don't spin their cylinder.

Its a lesson that many need to learn. You can't beat a cop when he's pulled you over or stopped you for anything. You can only beat him in the court room. Many people make things worse by speaking. Whenever I get pulled over, I never say a word. If they ask me what I think I did wrong, I say "No sir" or nod my head. Its not a respect for them. Its self preservation to not make things worse then they are.

Trigg
05-13-2010, 12:59 PM
Anything to generate MONEY for the state.