PDA

View Full Version : Hard Alcohol and Gas Stations

hjmick
05-13-2010, 01:27 AM
As some of you may have noticed, despite my prolonged gaps in participation on DP, late last year my wife and I relocated to Albuquerque. Albuquerque. A year ago I could barely spell Albuquerque and now I live here... But I digress...

My wife arrived in late September, early October and I followed in late November. Just in time for the holiday season.

One of the first things I noticed upon my arrival was the number of anti-drunk driving commercials put out by the state of New Mexico. There's nothing wrong with that, especially during the holiday season. I absolutely support the efforts of any and all agencies to reduce drunk driving and the tragedies which frequently ensue as a result.

Then the holiday season ended. The commercials tapered off... slightly. Over time and after a few conversations, I find out that, apparently, there is a problem in New Mexico with drunk driving, thus the reason for the high number of advertisements informing us of the consequences of drunk driving, from the social to the financial to the tragic. Cool. I get it.

What I don't get is this...

At almost every gas station with a mini-mart, a person can purchase hard alcohol. Just about anything you may want, from the little airline type bottles up to a fifth. What the fuck is up with that? If your state has a severe problem with drunk driving, why sell hard booze at the gas stations? What's with the one stop shopping? Make the assholes work for it for crying out loud. I maintain that people who would buy at the gas station might be inconvenienced just enough to take a pass if they had to stop a second time and pick up their booze at a liquor stor or supermarket. And even if they didn't, fuck 'em. I see no sense in making it easy for them.

I'm sure there are other states where folks can pick up a fifth at the local Chevron, but this is new to me. In more than thirty years living in California, the hardest thing I ever saw in a gas station mini-mart was beer. And I'm not sure about the beer.

SassyLady
05-13-2010, 01:49 AM
As some of you may have noticed, despite my prolonged gaps in participation on DP, late last year my wife and I relocated to Albuquerque. Albuquerque. A year ago I could barely spell Albuquerque and now I live here... But I digress...

My wife arrived in late September, early October and I followed in late November. Just in time for the holiday season.

One of the first things I noticed upon my arrival was the number of anti-drunk driving commercials put out by the state of New Mexico. There's nothing wrong with that, especially during the holiday season. I absolutely support the efforts of any and all agencies to reduce drunk driving and the tragedies which frequently ensue as a result.

Then the holiday season ended. The commercials tapered off... slightly. Over time and after a few conversations, I find out that, apparently, there is a problem in New Mexico with drunk driving, thus the reason for the high number of advertisements informing us of the consequences of drunk driving, from the social to the financial to the tragic. Cool. I get it.

What I don't get is this...

At almost every gas station with a mini-mart, a person can purchase hard alcohol. Just about anything you may want, from the little airline type bottles up to a fifth. What the fuck is up with that? If your state has a severe problem with drunk driving, why sell hard booze at the gas stations? What's with the one stop shopping? Make the assholes work for it for crying out loud. I maintain that people who would buy at the gas station might be inconvenienced just enough to take a pass if they had to stop a second time and pick up their booze at a liquor stor or supermarket. And even if they didn't, fuck 'em. I see no sense in making it easy for them.

I'm sure there are other states where folks can pick up a fifth at the local Chevron, but this is new to me. In more than thirty years living in California, the hardest thing I ever saw in a gas station mini-mart was beer. And I'm not sure about the beer.

Other than all the drunken drivers ..... how is living in Albuquerque? I have a friend in Santa Fe who has lived there five years (from TN). Took some time but is finally assimilating. I remember as a kid coming over the mountain in the middle of the night from Texas and thinking Alburquerque was a fantasy land - lights twinkling everywhere.

Is it really a good place to live? People, traffic, cost of living, taxes, property prices, etc.

hjmick
05-13-2010, 02:03 AM
Truthfully, I like it. I could use a little more green, but so far it's nice. The people are friendly, the weather has been nice, though we are in the windy season right now. The traffic isn't too bad. Property is cheap. Not sure about the taxes, wife handles those. Food and gas are about the same as Ventura county, actually, the gas is a bit cheaper. The drivers here are scary as hell.

The funny thing is, New Mexico wasn't even on our list.

Our original plan was Houston. I wanted to go to Missoula Montana, but that didn't work out. Too cold for the Mrs.

My dad always wanted to move back to NM, he spent summers up north at the Philmont Scout Ranch. He never made it. I'm beginning to see what he loved about the state.

Trigg
05-13-2010, 12:57 PM
That would have surprised the heck out of me also. Indiana doesn't sell ANY alcohol at gas stations and you can't buy cold beer anywhere but package liquor stores.

No alcohol is sold on Sunday either.

Hows that for up tight liquor laws????

I was surprised when I walked into a Wisconsin Wal-Mart and they had cold beer :eek:.

Mr. P
05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
That would have surprised the heck out of me also. Indiana doesn't sell ANY alcohol at gas stations and you can't buy cold beer anywhere but package liquor stores.

No alcohol is sold on Sunday either.

Hows that for up tight liquor laws????

I was surprised when I walked into a Wisconsin Wal-Mart and they had cold beer :eek:.

Worse than Ga. You can get beer at the convenience store, beer/wine at the grocery but liquor only at the liquor store here. NO Sunday sales EXCEPT for at a restaurant. Go figure, on Sunday if ya want a drink ya have to DRIVE to get it and then DRIVE home AFTER you've had it. Of course folks plan for Sunday, so it really just gives the Baptists a place to go and drink after church....Dumb.

SassyLady
05-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Worse than Ga. You can get beer at the convenience store, beer/wine at the grocery but liquor only at the liquor store here. NO Sunday sales EXCEPT for at a restaurant. Go figure, on Sunday if ya want a drink ya have to DRIVE to get it and then DRIVE home AFTER you've had it. Of course folks plan for Sunday, so it really just gives the Baptists a place to go and drink after church....Dumb.

Wow - we buy alcohol here in CA just about anywhere. Beer, wine, hard liquor are all sold in our grocery stores .... and some of them are open 24 hours a day!!!

Mr. P
05-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Wow - we buy alcohol here in CA just about anywhere. Beer, wine, hard liquor are all sold in our grocery stores .... and some of them are open 24 hours a day!!!

I know. In my travels around the country I found many different laws.

I went into a hotel lounge one night and ordered a bourbon and was inform they didn't have it cuz all they could legally sell was beer..That was Knoxville Tn I think, 1982.

Then there was a dry town in Arkansas that we over nighted in a lot. You could get a drink in the hotel but had to be a member of a club unless you had a room key.

Many times even in the same state things were different town to town.

darin
05-14-2010, 04:17 AM
Here in MI it's weird. Hard Liquor at WalMart, etc...But, no alcohol sales on Sunday until noon.

Stupid laws bug me.

Glad you're safely relocated - and enjoying the new place!