PDA

View Full Version : Hernia

namvet
05-13-2010, 07:54 AM
well I had Hernia surgery this past mon. just got home yesterday. I was told these can be painful but my God like this ??? still feels like a knife stuck in my gut. it was done endoscopically using a mesh screen which im told means a faster recovery. well any time. im on vikatan but right now not much help.
just wondering if anyone else had this done and if the pain level was this bad. usually these are from lifting heavy weight over a period of years. gals get em to.

gabosaurus
05-13-2010, 12:26 PM
My husband hasn't had hernia surgery, but he has back surgery in a similar area. You need to take your meds and show restraint in your movements. I've been told it hurts like a mofo.
I hope you get to feeling better soon. :D

namvet
05-13-2010, 01:10 PM
My husband hasn't had hernia surgery, but he has back surgery in a similar area. You need to take your meds and show restraint in your movements. I've been told it hurts like a mofo.
I hope you get to feeling better soon. :D

and the surgeon said don't lift anything.................duh !!

Binky
05-13-2010, 02:22 PM
When my son was three we took him out bowling. After lifting a 10 lb ball, he ended up having a hernia and we had to put him in the hospital. Back in those days he was kept a few days and in a cagelike crib.... When we went to see him he was standing up in bed, hanging onto the sides, pacing back and forth.... His color had begun coming back, but he was still pretty pale... He looked at us and smiled and moved around in excitement that we were there to see him....

Lifting that bowling bowl had ruptured the pelvic muscle and stretched it out. Doc's had to go in and cut some of it out and stitch the ends back together....

That's the last time we ever went bowling.....

namvet
05-13-2010, 02:34 PM
When my son was three we took him out bowling. After lifting a 10 lb ball, he ended up having a hernia and we had to put him in the hospital. Back in those days he was kept a few days and in a cagelike crib.... When we went to see him he was standing up in bed, hanging onto the sides, pacing back and forth.... His color had begun coming back, but he was still pretty pale... He looked at us and smiled and moved around in excitement that we were there to see him....

Lifting that bowling bowl had ruptured the pelvic muscle and stretched it out. Doc's had to go in and cut some of it out and stitch the ends back together....

That's the last time we ever went bowling.....

no doubt. you can have those for years and not know it till it bulges.

Trinity
05-13-2010, 03:41 PM
My youngest had a hernia when he was a little over 2, he was born with it. I was the one that discovered it, after taking him to his Dr. it took his Dr. a good 5 minutes to locate it. His Dr. said good job mom! This was the type that could have prevented him from having children later on. He had surgery done about 3 days after that, it was outpatient surgery. When we took him home they told us to just give him tylenol for the pain and that he'll probably lay around most of the day and evening .

Needless to say we got him home around 2 his surgery was around 730am by 5pm the child was up jumping from the couch to the coffee table and back again over and over......:eek:

He freaked me out so bad I was afraid he would rip his incision open, they only glued it shut. I called the nurse at the hospital she said oh thats normal he won't do more then he is capable of, if it hurts him he'll stop. I was like are you serious? She said yeah her biggest concern was him getting dizzy from the anesthesia and possibly falling and hitting his head.

namvet
05-13-2010, 03:49 PM
My youngest had a hernia when he was a little over 2, he was born with it. I was the one that discovered it, after taking him to his Dr. it took his Dr. a good 5 minutes to locate it. His Dr. said good job mom! This was the type that could have prevented him from having children later on. He had surgery done about 3 days after that, it was outpatient surgery. When we took him home they told us to just give him tylenol for the pain and that he'll probably lay around most of the day and evening .

Needless to say we got him home around 2 his surgery was around 730am by 5pm the child was up jumping from the couch to the coffee table and back again over and over......:eek:

He freaked me out so bad I was afraid he would rip his incision open, they only glued it shut. I called the nurse at the hospital she said oh thats normal he won't do more then he is capable of, if it hurts him he'll stop. I was like are you serious? She said yeah her biggest concern was him getting dizzy from the anesthesia and possibly falling and hitting his head.

born with it???? that's a new one me. wonder why????

red states rule
05-13-2010, 07:14 PM
well I had Hernia surgery this past mon. just got home yesterday. I was told these can be painful but my God like this ??? still feels like a knife stuck in my gut. it was done endoscopically using a mesh screen which im told means a faster recovery. well any time. im on vikatan but right now not much help.
just wondering if anyone else had this done and if the pain level was this bad. usually these are from lifting heavy weight over a period of years. gals get em to.

Hang in there my friend. You are in my thoughts and prayers

LiberalNation
05-13-2010, 07:55 PM
too bad you couldn't stay in the hospital, they might have doped you with some morphine, that stuff knocks me flat whenever administered which was all of thrice.

namvet
05-13-2010, 09:01 PM
too bad you couldn't stay in the hospital, they might have doped you with some morphine, that stuff knocks me flat whenever administered which was all of thrice.

i did stay inpatient for 2 days. it was an outpatient procedure

Missileman
05-13-2010, 09:14 PM

Inguinal hernia?

chloe
05-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Oh I'm sorry to hear about your medical struggle NamVet and I hope you heal soon.

namvet
05-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Inguinal hernia?

don' think so. it was just south of the belly button and ran north about 4". it had not strangulated yet. which i think is a race to the ER

namvet
05-13-2010, 10:28 PM
Oh I'm sorry to hear about your medical struggle NamVet and I hope you heal soon.

thanks. he told me it would take aout 3-4 weeks to heal.

BoogyMan
05-13-2010, 10:45 PM
thanks. he told me it would take aout 3-4 weeks to heal.

Man, take it easy and lets hope you get over this quickly.

You are in my thoughts.

namvet
05-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Man, take it easy and lets hope you get over this quickly.

You are in my thoughts.

thanks. me to. this pain really blows !!!

Trinity
05-14-2010, 08:43 AM
born with it???? that's a new one me. wonder why????

Not sure why but it's pretty common in babies and young children born with them. His was in his groin and I discovered it while giving him a bath I noticed one of his testicles seem to be hanging way lower then it should have been.

Some babies are born with various small openings inside the body that will close at some point. Nearby tissues can squeeze into such openings and become hernias. Unlike hernias seen in adults, these areas are not always considered a weakness in the muscle wall, but a normal area that has not yet closed.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/surgical/hernia.html

namvet
05-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Not sure why but it's pretty common in babies and young children born with them. His was in his groin and I discovered it while giving him a bath I noticed one of his testicles seem to be hanging way lower then it should have been.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/system/surgical/hernia.html

well ill be. i never knew this. the youngest ive heard of with a hernia was a 20 year old.

Trinity
05-14-2010, 04:19 PM
well ill be. i never knew this. the youngest ive heard of with a hernia was a 20 year old.

I was quite shocked too when I found it....I had never known any little ones to have a hernia especially in that area, everyone I knew was an adult. Although my daughter did have an umbilical hernia when she was born which closed up on its own so she did not need surgery.

Binky
05-14-2010, 04:36 PM
no doubt. you can have those for years and not know it till it bulges.

Hubby and I felt like shitheads for taking him out bowling.....It was awful seeing him in that much pain.

Missileman
05-14-2010, 06:14 PM
don' think so. it was just south of the belly button and ran north about 4". it had not strangulated yet. which i think is a race to the ER

In '91 I had a bilateral(both sides) inguinal hernia(groin). They cut me open the old-fashioned way and I went home same day...I can definitely relate to the burning pain. They sent me home with percoset, but it turns out I'm allergic to it...switched to tylenol 3 for the remainder of my recovery. Spent the first week or so sitting on an ice pack. It is also amazing to find out that just about every body movement involves abdominal muscles.