PDA

View Full Version : Arizona bans ethnic studies in schools

SassyLady
05-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Looks like Arizona is taking the bull by the horns! This makes total sense to me.

Arizona Ethnic Studies Law Signed By Governor Brewer, Condemned By UN Human Rights Experts
JONATHAN J. COOPER | 05/11/10 11:50 PM |

PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed a bill targeting a school district's ethnic studies program on Tuesday, hours after a report by United Nations human rights experts condemned the measure.

State schools chief Tom Horne, who has pushed the measure for years, said a Tucson school district program promotes "ethnic chauvinism" and racial resentment toward whites while segregating students by race.

"It's just like the old South, and it's long past time that we prohibited it," Horne said.

The measure prohibits classes that advocate ethnic solidarity, that are designed primarily for students of a particular race or that promote resentment toward a certain ethnic group. It also prohibits classes that promote the overthrow of the U.S. government.

The Tucson Unified School District program offers specialized courses in African-American, Mexican-American and Native-American studies that focus on history and literature and include information about the influence of a particular ethnic group.

For example, in the Mexican-American Studies program, an American history course explores the role of Hispanics in the Vietnam War, and a literature course emphasizes Latino authors.

Horne said he believes the Mexican-American studies program teaches Latino students that they are oppressed by white people. Public schools should not be encouraging students to resent a particular race, he said.

Brewer's signature on the bill comes less than a month after she signed the nation's toughest crackdown on illegal immigration – a move that ignited international backlash amid charges the measure would encourage racial profiling of Hispanics.

A Republican running for attorney general, Horne has been trying to restrict the program ever since he learned that Hispanic civil rights activist Dolores Huerta in 2006 told students that "Republicans hate Latinos."

District officials said the program doesn't promote resentment, and they believe it would comply with the new law.

About 1,500 students at six high schools in the district are enrolled in the program. Elementary and middle school students also are exposed to the ethnic studies curriculum. The district is 56 percent Hispanic, with nearly 31,000 Latino students.

Sean Arce, director of the district's Mexican-American Studies program, said last month that students perform better in school if they see in the curriculum people who look like them.

"It's a highly engaging program that we have, and it's unfortunate that the state Legislature would go so far as to censor these classes," he said.

Six UN human rights experts released a statement earlier Tuesday expressing concern about the measure. All people have the right to learn about their own cultural and linguistic heritage, they said.

Brewer spokesman Paul Senseman didn't directly address the UN criticism, but said Brewer supports the bill's goal.

"The governor believes ... public school students should be taught to treat and value each other as individuals and not be taught to resent or hate other races or classes of people," Senseman said.

The law doesn't prohibit classes that teach about the history of a particular ethnic group, as long as the course is open to all students and doesn't promote ethnic solidarity or resentment.

Arce could not immediately be reached after Brewer signed the bill late Tuesday.

actsnoblemartin
05-15-2010, 03:07 PM
I love arizona :)

cat slave
05-15-2010, 06:33 PM
Arizona rocks!

cat slave
05-15-2010, 06:36 PM
Looks like Arizona is taking the bull by the horns! This makes total sense to me.

Ditto. This IS America and kids should be learning American
history. They can learn the other"histories" in geography,
social studies or on their own if they have interest in learning
such things.

Its not insensitive, its practical and the natural order of things.

Binky
05-16-2010, 08:27 AM
Well, well, well, it is appearing that the size of Arizonas cahonies are getting larger with each passing day. The rest of the country could learn something from Arizona.....

krisy
05-16-2010, 08:51 AM
I completely agree with this. It's time to quit teaching these kids that they can't get anywhere because of "the man" and to make their own way in this world. Racism seems like its always o.k. when its against white people. It shouldn't be scary to send your child to school because he/she will be taught that he/she is a horrible oppressor.

I've seen quite a few very successful blacks who don't but into this whiny "i'm being held down" stuff.

Kudos to Arizona for standing up on so many issues!!

chloe
05-16-2010, 09:27 AM
Great article Mrs K, some of the Colleges are now requiring mandatory Diversity Course for a General Education requirement just like Math, Science, English. I honestly don't see why I have to spend money to take that Class since that seems more like a Humanities course, not something that should be required as undergraduate basics.

HogTrash
05-16-2010, 09:34 AM
This part of the article is what sold me on the ban...

Arizona Ethnic Studies Law Signed By Governor Brewer, Condemned By UN Human Rights Experts
JONATHAN J. COOPER | 05/11/10 11:50 PM |

PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer signed a bill targeting a school district's ethnic studies program on Tuesday, hours after a report by United Nations human rights experts condemned the measure.Anything the United Nations condemns is something White Americans should eagerly support.

Like the Progressives and their lowly liberal pawns, the UN seeks to turn the world against the white race.

The white race is perceived to be the only obsticle to the Marxist Utopia the Progressives have planned for the world.

Political Correctness has been their #1 strategy for the last 40 years and has been successfully ticking along like clockwork.

Begin a campaign to end the practice of Political Correctness, and the left's racist house of cards will come tumbling down.

HogTrash
05-16-2010, 03:36 PM
I would now like to blow off some steam with a short rant if no one objects.

These "Ethnic Studies" classes are for no other reason than to promote the continuation of hatred for the white race by the minorities for the purpose of keeping racial strife alive and well in America while demanding that we humbly accept this hatred and racism without complaint or retaliation because whitey deserves it.

The same thing takes place everyday in the media, journalism, universities and halls of congress in state and federal government...Hitler believed the best way to unite a people were with a common enemy so he used the hatred for jews to unite nazi Germany the same way the left incites hatred for the white race to unite their progressive cause.

darin
05-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Link?

05-16-2010, 07:59 PM
I've always been perplexed on how it can be good to divide people by ethnicity in a nation that is supposed to transcend it.

SassyLady
05-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Link?

Sorry - got so excited forgot to put the link and I was so proud of myself because I found it on a website that I despise so I was trying to give equal time!!! :poke:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/12/arizona-ethnic-studies-la_n_572864.html

LuvRPgrl
05-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Sorry - got so excited forgot to put the link and I was so proud of myself because I found it on a website that I despise so I was trying to give equal time!!! :poke:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/12/arizona-ethnic-studies-la_n_572864.html

so you hate liars also. me too. That woman makes me puke

SassyLady
05-19-2010, 01:07 AM
so you hate liars also. me too. That woman makes me puke

She just gives me the heebee-jeebees....:eek: When I read or listen to the stuff she posits I think I'm living in the Twilight Zone.