PDA

View Full Version : Immigrant advocates say crackdown on unlicensed drivers unfair

82Marine89
05-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Go to the link and watch the video as well...

Adrianna Castellon, 16, stood on the sidewalk of a busy Moreno Valley street on a recent school night, yelling at cars rushing past.

"Checkpoint! Checkpoint ahead!" she screamed. "Turn back while you can!"

The high school student was among protesters hoping to help illegal immigrants whose vehicles were about to be impounded by police because they were driving without a license. California law got tougher in 1993, requiring a social security card and other identification to get a license and barring most illegal immigrants from applying.

Now the stricter license requirements and a rising number of checkpoints across the Inland area and state are stirring controversy that has reached a fever pitch in some cities with a large Latino population.

Critics say most Inland checkpoints economically punish illegal immigrants whose cars often are impounded for 30 days -- the maximum time allowed -- and can ill afford the approximately $2,000 to retrieve the vehicle. Protesters point out that drunken drivers usually lose their car for only one day. They say racial profiling is at play where checkpoints are placed.

Inland authorities said softer penalties, such as citations, for unlicensed drivers don't work because many illegal immigrants lack identification and can't be found if they skip court. Police say impounding cars is needed to deal with drivers without licenses, who account for about 40 percent of the nation's hit-and-run crashes based on statistics of hit-and-run drivers who were caught. And police say that traffic volume, not a neighborhood's racial composition, determines checkpoint locations.

"Usually people only see the fact that we're creating a monster for them and we're taking their car and taking their livelihood," said Perris police Sgt. Dan Lingo, who supervises the city's checkpoints. "The other side of it is they're breaking California law and they become a risk to the public."

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2010/05-16/5783041_checkpoint16wlaa_400.jpg

Under community pressure, a few cities have dropped month-long car confiscation for a first-time unlicensed driving offense and instead hand out citations or do a one-day tow.

The California Office of Traffic Safety is calling 2010 the "year of the checkpoint" and plans a record $8 million in checkpoint grants, up from $5 million in 2009.

Some Inland residents think police can't hold enough checkpoints, which usually run from 6 p.m. to past midnight with little notice and without an announced location.

Lee Chauser, pulled aside recently at a Perris checkpoint, said an unlicensed driver once hit him.

"He almost killed me ... He rear-ended me going 35 mph," the 64-year-old Hemet man said. "The government needs to find a way for the (illegal immigrants) to get trained and drive legally."

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2010/05-16/5783045_checkpoint16wlc_400.jpg

Click here to read the rest... (http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_checkpoint16.9c40e86.html)

HogTrash
05-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Instead of wasting our time demanding the current administration do something about this invasion,

we should begin petitioning our local authorities to handle this massive illegal immigration problem on local levels.

If this caught on all over the United States, just maybe the federal government would get the idea that we the people are fed up.

HogTrash
05-16-2010, 05:11 PM
Amnesty is NOT the solution!

Mr. P
05-16-2010, 07:20 PM
I think lil 16 yr old Adrianna Castellon should be arrested for obstruction.

05-16-2010, 08:03 PM
It's unfair to crack down on people driving without licenses? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I don't care if you are illegal or full blown American citizen. You shouldn't be driving on any road that could endanger my family.

My grandmother was terrified when she first went to get her license. But she got it because it was the law to do so. She complied with the law because it was the right thing to do.

Silver
05-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Yeah well....we got people against the death penalty pissed off about the crack down on murders too....

Its the pinhead way....

actsnoblemartin
05-17-2010, 12:38 AM
we should be deporting any latino legal or not that supports or in any obstructs our right to protect ourselves from illegals