PDA

View Full Version : Cranky At Work? Might Mean You're A Star Employee!

jillian
01-17-2007, 08:00 PM
GRUMPS RULE ON THE JOB

By PAUL THARP
HOUSE M.D.
Cranky and effective.January 17, 2007 -- Coming to work cranky is probably a good idea - because grumpy workers are the most creative and productive, says a new study.

"Bad moods and negative attitudes have gotten a bad rap at work," said Jing Zhou, a management professor at Rice University in Houston. "As it turns out, those perennially happy, smiling employees may not be the most creative or productive at the office."

His study said that bad moods are naturally produced almost any time people work together, but the grumpiness can be harnessed to help the bottom line.

"If you want creativity that leads to innovation in your workplace, those naturally occurring bad moods can play a fruitful role - in fact, they're necessary to make things better," he said.

The professor said he's not encouraging bosses to promote bad moods among his workers.

Instead, those cranky moments can be used to "identify potential problems and think of ways to improve things."

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01172007/business/grumps_rule_on_the_job_business_paul_tharp.htm

Gaffer
01-17-2007, 08:48 PM
I think it depends on who's on the recieving end of that bad mood.

manu1959
01-17-2007, 09:18 PM
I think it depends on who's on the recieving end of that bad mood.

those happy go lucky incompetent twits

oh and this study vindicates me

CockySOB
01-17-2007, 09:31 PM
Anger and frustration tend to increase our adrenaline production which is proven to increase our neural processing power slightly, as well as increase our energy when trying to "fix" whatever is grumping us out.

Kinda the flip-side of procrastination.

Gaffer
01-17-2007, 09:32 PM

Does this mean your a creative highly productive asshole?

jillian
01-17-2007, 10:35 PM

Heh! Yeah... just so ya know, my boss gave me that article. Can't imagine why, though. :lmao:

Bubbalicious
01-18-2007, 02:58 PM
This is weird. It seems like the opposite of what I've experienced. Usually the empty suit with the winning smile and the perfect handshake gets all the recognition while the butt-busting grumpus gets stuck in a center cubicle and a 2% annual raise.