PDA

View Full Version : Tea party strength put to test with Rand Paul in Republican Kentucky Senate race

LiberalNation
05-18-2010, 03:52 PM
hope he loses.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100518/NEWS0106/5180345/1008/rss01

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — The strength of the tea party is being tested in Kentucky's Republican primary race for U.S. Senate.

A win for Republican Rand Paul on Tuesday would be the first victory for the tea party in a statewide election, one that could embolden the fledgling political movement.

Public opinion polls before the primary showed Paul, a Bowling Green eye surgeon, leading establishment favorite Trey Grayson, Kentucky's secretary of state, by double digits.

While Paul is confident of victory, Grayson insists the poll results are inaccurate because they don't consider political trends peculiar to Kentucky,

CSM
05-19-2010, 06:40 AM
Hope springs eternal!

I guess it sucks to be you today.

HogTrash
05-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Establishment DemoPublican Politicians awoke this morning to a terrifying political revelation.

The Tea Party is not just a bunch of crazy protesters carrying signs and bitching at town hall meetings anymore.

Rand Paul is the first major victory for this fledgling American movement and has the Washington Elites in fear of their political survival.

This May 19th morning in 2010 marks the day the American People reclaimed control of their nation and future...The sleeping giant has awakened.

[Congradulations Rand Paul...Even though I am not a resident of your state, I will be donating to your campaign] > VICTORY! :clap:

chloe
05-19-2010, 07:23 AM
Thats a great sign of a State I'd like to live in:beer:

remie
05-19-2010, 07:30 AM
Thats a great sign of a State I'd like to live in:beer:

Come on down, its a great place to live. I had to laugh at most of the news articles that called us activists for electing him. What we are is tired of the same old politics as usual bunch that has screwed up our country beyond belief. Hopefully we can push him over the line in front in the general election.

chloe
05-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Come on down, its a great place to live. I had to laugh at most of the news articles that called us activists for electing him. What we are is tired of the same old politics as usual bunch that has screwed up our country beyond belief. Hopefully we can push him over the line in front in the general election.

Remie, I just sold my house a few weeks ago ( I didn't even have it on the market), I'm staying at my moms because I have to finish a college class over the summer , then I am moving and it will most likely be Kentucky or the Carolinas. I say most likely because things can always change. But seeing how great Kentucky is and how supportive of Rand Paul, I definately hope its Kentucky I move to :beer:i

revelarts
05-19-2010, 07:34 AM
:dance:

Thank God Rand Paul won.

There's gonna be dollars coming from me as well.

Even when he wins the seat its just a beginning. The Republican establishment will play dirty so dig deep for your info when you get your news about whats going on with the race.

82Marine89
05-19-2010, 08:16 AM
hope he loses.

I know it's probably a first, but how does it feel to be teabagged?

HogTrash
05-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Remie, I just sold my house a few weeks ago ( I didn't even have it on the market), I'm staying at my moms because I have to finish a college class over the summer , then I am moving and it will most likely be Kentucky or the Carolinas. I say most likely because things can always change. But seeing how great Kentucky is and how supportive of Rand Paul, I definately hope its Kentucky I move to :beer:iThe Carolinas are flat boring landscapes other than the extreme western tip of North Carolina which borders on the beautiful Smokey Mountains.

Kentucky is a more beautiful state than the Carolinas, but of course there is no ocean...If I ever move from the city, the mountains will be a priority.

Gaffer
05-19-2010, 08:32 AM

LOL, when I can't rep I hit the thanks button. There's going to be a lot of teabagging in this country.

chloe
05-19-2010, 09:06 AM
LOL, when I can't rep I hit the thanks button. There's going to be a lot of teabagging in this country.

I got him for ya...wink

remie
05-19-2010, 10:15 AM
The Carolinas are flat boring landscapes other than the extreme western tip of North Carolina which borders on the beautiful Smokey Mountains.

Kentucky is a more beautiful state than the Carolinas, but of course there is no ocean...If I ever move from the city, the mountains will be a priority.

You are right....If we just had an ocean attached it would be nearly perfect. I have to make a trek for a couple weeks a year to get my beach fix but then its back to the bluegrass.

05-19-2010, 10:28 AM
I hate to be a spoil sport here. But I don't see how one race shows anything.

Sure, it's optimistic to see Rand Paul win, but how did the Tea Party do in other races? More importantly the local races? Because national races dont matter much in the long run.

sybarite
05-19-2010, 12:09 PM
GO RAND PAUL!!!:salute::clap:

actsnoblemartin
05-19-2010, 01:44 PM
she's used to it :coffee:

remie
05-19-2010, 02:11 PM
I hate to be a spoil sport here. But I don't see how one race shows anything.

Sure, it's optimistic to see Rand Paul win, but how did the Tea Party do in other races? More importantly the local races? Because national races dont matter much in the long run.

Cant speak for other areas but tea party type thinking is pretty hot here in KY. I think that we will see some major changes in our state government next election cycle and in our local elections dumping the status quo is already happening. Not saying its a trend but it is happening here.

LiberalNation
05-19-2010, 03:48 PM
what part of ky you in?

LiberalNation
05-19-2010, 03:49 PM

lol, he hasn't beat the dem yet.

namvet
05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
lol, he hasn't beat the dem yet.

Rand Paul's victory in Kentucky's Republican Senate primary Tuesday night was the latest reminder that the conservative grassroots movement is shaping up to be an electoral force this year -- despite Democratic claims that the activists represent an over-hyped fringe.

HogTrash
05-20-2010, 09:09 PM
You are right....If we just had an ocean attached it would be nearly perfect. I have to make a trek for a couple weeks a year to get my beach fix but then its back to the bluegrass.Its only a few hours and a straight shot to Virginia Beach from the Blue Grass on Interstate 64.

Well, maybe a little zig-zaggy through those beautiful mountains but the scenery is worth it. :thumb:

chloe
05-20-2010, 09:47 PM
Cant speak for other areas but tea party type thinking is pretty hot here in KY. I think that we will see some major changes in our state government next election cycle and in our local elections dumping the status quo is already happening. Not saying its a trend but it is happening here.

Well Kentucky sounds wonderful !!! Which city would you recommend out of these : Covington, Bowling Green, Lexington, or Louisville?

Woo Hoo Rand Paul !!!!

remie
05-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Well Kentucky sounds wonderful !!! Which city would you recommend out of these : Covington, Bowling Green, Lexington, or Louisville?

Woo Hoo Rand Paul !!!!

I am near Lexington and no matter where I travel, look forward to getting back to this area. The other towns have something to offer but Lexington is centrally located enough that Louisville, Covington/Cincinnati and even Bowling Green are short drives

HogTrash
05-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Woo Hoo Rand Paul !!!!The Blue Grass State...Fast horses and corn fed girls[corn in a jar, YeeHaw!].

Covington - Part of the greater Cincinnati Oh metro area[2 million+ population]...City living...River town...NFL...MLB...Kentucky Speedway car racing...100 miles to Indianapolis.

Bowling Green - Small city living...The Corvette Factory and Museum...Mammoth Cave State Park[I][absolutely amazing]...45 minutes to Nashville[Music City USA]...And home town of Rand Paul.[woohoo!]

Lexington - University of Ky[NCAA college hoops at it's best]...A college town designed to accommadate young people...The Kentucky Horsepark[and home town of ManoWar greatest horse to ever run]

Louisville - River town...Largest Ky city[I think?]...Churchill Downs-Kentucky Derby...Six Flags Amusement Park...Also 100 miles to Indy 500 and less than that to the Mammoth Cave State Park.

Note - I have traveled to the Mammoth Cave twice, which is reported to be the largest most extensive known cave system in the world...There are many different tours of this massive subterranian labryinth of passages, underground rivers and enormous chambers with beautiful stalactite/stalagmite and crystal formations.

Well over 300 miles of cave passages have been discovered, which is believed to be less than half of what actually exists...Professional spelunkers have been exploring and mapping new passages for over a hundred years and claim they have only scratched the surface...I've always been fascinated with caves and Mammoth is the grandaddy of them all.

hortysir
05-21-2010, 11:26 AM
hope he loses.

Why?
Can you state a position on a particular issue that you disagree with?

bullypulpit
05-21-2010, 07:50 PM
It sounds like the GOP is beginning to rue Paul. Every time he and a microphone get together bad things happen...For Randy.

The only one defending him is Jim Bunning, whose seat is Paul is running for. John Kyle, in the sternest possible tone, chided Paul for for engaging in philosophical debates best reserved for college keggars.

And Senate Minority Leader, Mitch McLipless...er...McConnell, has yet to speak in support of Randy. In fact he did every thing he could to get Randy defeated. I'm sure the "Unity Breakfast" they're having in Kentucky this weekend will be something of a shot-gun wedding.

All in all, Randy is the best thing the Democratic Party in Kentucky could have hoped for. He, and his flux of the mouth, gives them a solid shot at taking the Senate seat this November. Hee...hee...hee.

chloe
05-21-2010, 08:00 PM
The Carolinas are flat boring landscapes other than the extreme western tip of North Carolina which borders on the beautiful Smokey Mountains.

The Blue Grass State...Fast horses and corn fed girls[corn in a jar, YeeHaw!].

Covington - Part of the greater Cincinnati Oh metro area[2 million+ population]...City living...River town...NFL...MLB...Kentucky Speedway car racing...100 miles to Indianapolis.

Bowling Green - Small city living...The Corvette Factory and Museum...Mammoth Cave State Park[I][absolutely amazing]...45 minutes to Nashville[Music City USA]...And home town of Rand Paul.[woohoo!]

Lexington - University of Ky[NCAA college hoops at it's best]...A college town designed to accommadate young people...The Kentucky Horsepark[and home town of ManoWar greatest horse to ever run]

Louisville - River town...Largest Ky city[I think?]...Churchill Downs-Kentucky Derby...Six Flags Amusement Park...Also 100 miles to Indy 500 and less than that to the Mammoth Cave State Park.

Note - I have traveled to the Mammoth Cave twice, which is reported to be the largest most extensive known cave system in the world...There are many different tours of this massive subterranian labryinth of passages, underground rivers and enormous chambers with beautiful stalactite/stalagmite and crystal formations.

Well over 300 miles of cave passages have been discovered, which is believed to be less than half of what actually exists...Professional spelunkers have been exploring and mapping new passages for over a hundred years and claim they have only scratched the surface...I've always been fascinated with caves and Mammoth is the grandaddy of them all.

Yeah Bowling Green sounds the best, I like caves too. When I lived in Roswell NM, I went to the carlsbad caverns a few times. Kentuckys caves sound even cooler.:cool:

SassyLady
05-21-2010, 08:05 PM
It sounds like the GOP is beginning to rue Paul. Every time he and a microphone get together bad things happen...For Randy.

The only one defending him is Jim Bunning, whose seat is Paul is running for. John Kyle, in the sternest possible tone, chided Paul for for engaging in philosophical debates best reserved for college keggars.

And Senate Minority Leader, Mitch McLipless...er...McConnell, has yet to speak in support of Randy. In fact he did every thing he could to get Randy defeated. I'm sure the "Unity Breakfast" they're having in Kentucky this weekend will be something of a shot-gun wedding.

All in all, Randy is the best thing the Democratic Party in Kentucky could have hoped for. He, and his flux of the mouth, gives them a solid shot at taking the Senate seat this November. Hee...hee...hee.

Leave it to a liberal to think that someone speaking honestly about their beliefs would be a "bad" political move. I have more respect for someone who honestly speaks up than someone, like Obama, who has to send up a balloon to test the waters before he speaks....and stutters the whole time because he's worried about saying something to upset a block of voters.

We need more Rand Paul's and Chris Christie's in government.....even if we don't agree with everything they say. At least we know what they believe in, right or wrong.

bullypulpit
05-21-2010, 11:51 PM
Leave it to a liberal to think that someone speaking honestly about their beliefs would be a "bad" political move. I have more respect for someone who honestly speaks up than someone, like Obama, who has to send up a balloon to test the waters before he speaks....and stutters the whole time because he's worried about saying something to upset a block of voters.

We need more Rand Paul's and Chris Christie's in government.....even if we don't agree with everything they say. At least we know what they believe in, right or wrong.

One cannot fault Paul for speaking his thoughts, but philosophically speaking, his views are as flawed as they are naive. They are naive and flawed in their utter reliance on absolutes. His views on Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 completely ignore the historical facts regarding Jim Crowe laws, the context in which they were applied, and their consequences to African-Americans in the South of that era.

"Accidents happen..." in his defense of BP and laissez-faire capitalism ignores that company's history of legal and ethical violations and habit of putting profits before employee and environmental safety. Capitalism is not an inherently evil system, so long as its limits are respected and safeguards are in place, by means of government regulations, to protect those who might be harmed through the mindless pursuit of profit...Employees, persons living around corporate facilities, the environment.

The preamble to the Constitution states that the purpose of the government is to "...establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty...". Failing to adequately regulate industries which have the potential to cause grave financial, personal and environmental harm or prevent the establishment of social injustice, such as racism, would be an abdication of those goals.

Mr. P
05-22-2010, 12:40 AM
One cannot fault Paul for speaking his thoughts, but philosophically speaking, his views are as flawed as they are naive. They are naive and flawed in their utter reliance on absolutes. His views on Title II of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 completely ignore the historical facts regarding Jim Crowe laws, the context in which they were applied, and their consequences to African-Americans in the South of that era.

"Accidents happen..." in his defense of BP and laissez-faire capitalism ignores that company's history of legal and ethical violations and habit of putting profits before employee and environmental safety. Capitalism is not an inherently evil system, so long as its limits are respected and safeguards are in place, by means of government regulations, to protect those who might be harmed through the mindless pursuit of profit...Employees, persons living around corporate facilities, the environment.

The preamble to the Constitution states that the purpose of the government is to "...establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty...". Failing to adequately regulate industries which have the potential to cause grave financial, personal and environmental harm or prevent the establishment of social injustice, such as racism, would be an abdication of those goals.

What exactly is "adequately regulate" ? At some point "adequate" will conflict with "and secure the Blessings of Liberty.". Actually we're at that point now.

bullypulpit
05-22-2010, 07:11 AM
What exactly is "adequately regulate" ? At some point "adequate" will conflict with "and secure the Blessings of Liberty.". Actually we're at that point now.

Adequately regulate as in prevent harm through indifference or malfeasance, as was apparently the case with BP...or Wall Street. Unfettered laissez-faire capitalism presupposes a rational society which, I'm sure, even you will agree we do not have. And no, contrary to your belief, we are not "at that point now".

Insein
05-22-2010, 10:13 AM

If Bully thinks its good for Democrats, then I know this guy is good for the country. Thanks for selling me, Bully.

bullypulpit
05-22-2010, 11:13 AM
If Bully thinks its good for Democrats, then I know this guy is good for the country. Thanks for selling me, Bully.

You obviously didn't read the follow-up post. Heh.

Binky
05-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I am near Lexington and no matter where I travel, look forward to getting back to this area. The other towns have something to offer but Lexington is centrally located enough that Louisville, Covington/Cincinnati and even Bowling Green are short drives

Isn't the huge machine gun shoot in Lexington? I've been in Kentucky a couple of times, once to go to that shoot and another time to visit relatives. Near as I can remember it's a very pretty state.