PDA

View Full Version : FIght over Arizona's Illegal Immigriant law escalates to the Power Grid.

Monkeybone
05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
I was waiting for this to be brought up.
Now comes some hardball from a statewide elected Arizonan named Gary Pierce. He's a commissioner of the Arizona Corporation Commission, which regulates utilities there.
And he wrote...

If an economic boycott is truly what you desire, I will be happy to encourage Arizona utilities to renegotiate your power agreements so Los Angeles no longer receives any power from Arizona-based generation.

I am confident that Arizona’s utilities would be happy to take those electrons off your hands. If, however, you find that the City Council lacks the strength of its convictions to turn off the lights in Los Angeles and boycott Arizona power, please reconsider the wisdom of attempting to harm Arizona’s economy.

People of goodwill can disagree over the merits of SB 1070. A statewide economic boycott of Arizona is not a message sent in goodwill. nice "ball is in your court" move.

Little-Acorn
05-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Why do you feel this is an "escalation"?

LA said it would boycott Arizona products and services. I didn't hear LA making any exception for the electric power it gets from Arizona.

Arizona is merely announcing it will cooperate... in full.

The boycott idea was Los Angeles's, not Arizona's. No "threats" came from Arizona... they all came from LA.

Monkeybone
05-19-2010, 12:02 PM
Why do you feel this is an "escalation"?

LA said it would boycott Arizona products and services. I didn't hear LA making any exception for the electric power it gets from Arizona.

Arizona is merely announcing it will cooperate... in full.

The boycott idea was Los Angeles's, not Arizona's. No "threats" came from Arizona... they all came from LA.
didn't mean the "ball" comment as an escalation. or if you are refering to the thread title, that was from the article.

To rephrase, I see it more as a put up or shut up sorta thing. don't see the word threat in there. just merely a calling them on it.

-Cp
05-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Link:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/19/arizona-official-threatens-cut-los-angeles-power-payback-boycott/

actsnoblemartin
05-19-2010, 01:42 PM
I love Arizona :beer:

I hate California :thumb:

And he wrote...
nice "ball is in your court" move.

crin63
05-19-2010, 03:50 PM
As someone who this would directly affect if we lost the Arizona power, I emailed Pierce this morning to encourage him to pursue this avenue of recourse against the City of Los Angeles without relenting or hesitation.

If my family has to suffer through rolling blackouts again to protect America's sovereignty and get rid of illegal immigrants so be it. I absolutely support Arizona's right to do away with illegal immigrants since the federal government won't.

LiberalNation
05-19-2010, 04:09 PM
check mate, good for AZ.

05-19-2010, 04:18 PM
check mate, good for AZ.

I'd hardly call it check mate, but it is a pretty sweet move.

Binky
05-19-2010, 07:36 PM
In a way it's rather funny. He's calling LAs bluff. He has the power to stop letting them have electricity.... I can fully understand why they are whining....They have a kazillion illegals living in and around LA. Gotta keep 'em happy so they can reach out for another freebie......but they may have to do it in the dark......:laugh2::laugh2:

If a boycott incures, then so could a blackout......

Mr. P
05-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Now comes some hardball from a statewide elected Arizonan named Gary Pierce. He's a commissioner of the Arizona Corporation Commission, which regulates utilities there.

Geezzz all we need is MORE politicians dictating to industry.

I like the idea of calling their bluff, but....not the reality of a politician using his office to force private industry to follow his political path. Aren't we seeing TOO much of that now?

I see political in this because despite what Mr. Gary Pierce can do to back his letter all the elec co will do is shut down one grid to LA and send the power to another and on to LA from there. There not gonna stop selling product for some state commissioner.

krisy
05-19-2010, 09:20 PM
I have to applaud this guy...just saw him on Greta. Seems like he's just trying to get under their skin. I hope he succeeds. The overreaction to this law is the craziest thing I've seen in a while.

I'm willing to bet that most of these protestors don't even know it's a federal law. On the news tonight,it seemed like Obama was somewhat hesitant to speak too much against it. Probably because he DOES know its allready fed law.

Binky
05-19-2010, 09:40 PM
I have to applaud this guy...just saw him on Greta. Seems like he's just trying to get under their skin. I hope he succeeds. The overreaction to this law is the craziest thing I've seen in a while.

I'm willing to bet that most of these protestors don't even know it's a federal law. On the news tonight,it seemed like Obama was somewhat hesitant to speak too much against it. Probably because he DOES know its allready fed law.

I would bet a huge chunk of those protestors are enabling illegals in some way, shape or form, are related to them or knows others that are. Which are all darn good reasons why they are screaming and causing havoc over it.....

Obama is probably wishing the whole thing would dissipate into thin air and just simply float away..... But alas.....the people of Arizona have had enough. Makes me wonder how those in others states would react under the same conditions..... Would they all just sit back and take it and let the illegals do whatever they wanted within their states? You know.........backdoor them.....

cat slave
05-19-2010, 11:50 PM
And he wrote...
nice "ball is in your court" move.

LOL...love it.:clap:

Monkeybone
05-20-2010, 06:19 AM
Link:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/19/arizona-official-threatens-cut-los-angeles-power-payback-boycott/
thanks Cp, I always forget the link

namvet
05-20-2010, 08:31 AM
sounds like classic saber rattling. i can't feature Boxer & co doing their work by flashlight. could CA get it else where????

LuvRPgrl
05-20-2010, 03:19 PM
didn't mean the "ball" comment as an escalation. or if you are refering to the thread title, that was from the article.

To rephrase, I see it more as a put up or shut up sorta thing. don't see the word threat in there. just merely a calling them on it.

Ya know, AZ better be careful. LA might restrict their movies and tv shows from being shown there, or,, or maybe they wont let uh, uh, oh, let them go to Disneyland,,,oh wait, thats in Orange County,,,,hmm, well, uh, uh, well what the hell does LA have to offer?

I think that guy from AZ is basically saying, "its none of your business LA"