PDA

View Full Version : N.J. Gov. Chris Christie swiftly vetoes 'millionaires tax,' property tax rebate bills

Insein
05-21-2010, 04:32 PM
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/05/nj_gov_christie_vetoes_million.html

N.J. Gov. Chris Christie swiftly vetoes 'millionaires tax,' property tax rebate bills
By Statehouse Bureau Staff
May 20, 2010, 7:40AM

TRENTON — It took about two minutes from the time Senate President Steve Sweeney certified the passage of the millionaires tax package for Gov. Chris Christie to veto the bills at his desk.

"While I have little doubt that the sponsors and supporters of this bill sincerely believe that the state can tax its way out of this financial crisis, I believe that this bill does nothing more than repeat the failed, irresponsible and unsustainable fiscal policies of the past," wrote Christie in his veto statement. "Now is not the time for more of the same. Ultimately, another tax increase will punish the state’s struggling small businesses and set our economy further back from recovery."

Matt Rainey/The Star-LedgerThe Assembly voted to pass the "millionaire's tax" bill 46-32, but Gov. Christie vetoed it soon after.After the state Senate passed the bill, which had already passed the Assembly, Sweeney walked the bills down the hallways of the Statehouse, from the state Senate chambers to the governor's office. Once inside, he handed the bills to Christie, who was waiting.

"What took you so long ?" asked Christie spokesman Michael Drewniak.

Christie sat at a wooden desk emblazoned with the seal of the state of New Jersey and swiftly signed vetoes.

"We'll be back, governor," said Sweeney.

"Alright, we'll see," said Christie.

Democrats would need two-thirds majority in both houses of the Legislature to override the veto.

"This is something we're not going away on," said Sweeney. "This isn't theater, this isn't a gimmick."

LiberalNation
05-21-2010, 04:51 PM
never gona balance the budget thataway.

Insein
05-21-2010, 07:57 PM
I know. They can't keep driving away their biggest tax payers by making them pay more. Its just going to decrease revenue. Good for Christie shooting this down.

darin
05-21-2010, 08:27 PM
Absolutely RIGHT thing to do. When - sorry - that's a stupid question I'll stop asking.

Democrats/Fiscal Liberals WILL NEVER balance budgets because the vilify and attack and drive-away the people who pay taxes. I honestly wonder if God messed up by allowing people the option of choosing Liberalism and other self-destructive behaviors.

Insein
05-21-2010, 09:08 PM
Absolutely RIGHT thing to do. When - sorry - that's a stupid question I'll stop asking.

Democrats/Fiscal Liberals WILL NEVER balance budgets because the vilify and attack and drive-away the people who pay taxes. I honestly wonder if God messed up by allowing people the option of choosing Liberalism and other self-destructive behaviors.

Free will is our greatest strength and our greatest weakness.