PDA

View Full Version : Republicans Capture House Seat in Obama's Hometown

red states rule
05-23-2010, 06:14 AM
Damn, I am looking so forward to November. OK BP, Gabby, and LN - go ahead and spin this and tell us how this is no big deal

Republicans scored a midterm election victory Saturday when Honolulu City Councilman Charles Djou won a Democratic-held House seat in Hawaii in the district where President Obama grew up -- the latest triumph for the GOP as it looks to take back control of Congress.

Djou's victory was a blow to Obama and other Democrats who could not rally around a candidate and find away to win a congressional race that should have been a cakewalk. The seat had been held by a Democrat for nearly 20 years and is located in the district where Obama was born and spent most of his childhood.

"This is a momentous day. We have sent a message to the United States Congress. We have sent a message to the national Democrats. We have sent a message to the machine," Djou said. "The congressional seat is not owned by one political party. This congressional seat is owned by the people."

Djou received 67,274 votes, or 39.5 percent. He was trailed by state Senate President Colleen Hanabusa, a Democrat who received 52,445 votes, or 30.8 percent. The other leading Democrat, former U.S. Rep. Ed Case, received 47,012 votes, or 27.6 percent.

Republicans see the victory as a powerful statement about their momentum heading into November. They already sent a Republican to the U.S. Senate to replace the late Sen. Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts -- a place that was once thought to be the most hostile of territories for the GOP. Now Republicans can say they won a congressional seat in the former backyard of the president and in a state that gave Obama 72 percent of the vote two years ago.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05/21/republicans-seek-capture-house-seat-obamas-backyard/

Nukeman
05-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Are you SURE its his "home town"???????????????????????:poke::coffee:

red states rule
05-24-2010, 04:39 AM
Are you SURE its his "home town"???????????????????????:poke::coffee:

McCain only got 17% of the vote in this district. This is a massive swing against Obama and his policies

Binky
05-24-2010, 01:50 PM
What this country needs is more independents running and winning. Enough with the demopugs. They've both proven over the decades they are nothing but snakes in the grass slithering around keeping low profiles so they can play their game of nasty agendas. Both parties think the rest of us are a bunch of dumb hicks that don't our butts from a hole in the ground.

Wouldn't it be great when voting time arrives to keep voting out incumbents? When one voting session is over, then slam 'em with it again when the next one comes around. Stir them up. They like playing games, well, so do the rest of us.....:coffee:

Abbey Marie
05-24-2010, 02:27 PM
What this country needs is more independents running and winning. Enough with the demopugs. They've both proven over the decades they are nothing but snakes in the grass slithering around keeping low profiles so they can play their game of nasty agendas. Both parties think the rest of us are a bunch of dumb hicks that don't our butts from a hole in the ground.

Wouldn't it be great when voting time arrives to keep voting out incumbents? When one voting session is over, then slam 'em with it again when the next one comes around. Stir them up. They like playing games, well, so do the rest of us.....:coffee:

Binky, I'm sure you are familiar with this lyric from the Who: "Meet the new boss; same as the old boss"? I feel fairly certain that when independents get enough power, they will resort to the very same stunts that the current parties do. Unfortunately, it's human nature, and knows no party affiliations. Sometimes I think our best hope would be term limits.

SassyLady
05-24-2010, 03:05 PM
Binky, I'm sure you are familiar with this lyric from the Who: "Meet the new boss; same as the old boss"? I feel fairly certain that when independents get enough power, they will resort to the very same stunts that the current parties do. Unfortunately, it's human nature, and knows no party affiliations. Sometimes I think our best hope would be term limits.

I agree that any party in power are susceptible to corruption. So, term limits would be good .... but until that law is passed, we can vote out all incumbents and that is the will of the people imposing term limits.

Maybe then the politicians will go to Washington to legislate rather than campaign. And, their positions should not be a full time job.

Abbey Marie
05-24-2010, 03:07 PM
I agree that any party in power are susceptible to corruption. So, term limits would be good .... but until that law is passed, we can vote out all incumbents and that is the will of the people imposing term limits.

Maybe then the politicians will go to Washington to legislate rather than campaign. And, their positions should not be a full time job.

Good points. And any pol who has time to have a career, wife, family AND mistress, clearly has too much time on his hands.

red states rule
05-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Good points. And any pol who has time to have a career, wife, family AND mistress, clearly has too much time on his hands.

Not to mention all the time they spend on TV in constant campaign mode