PDA

View Full Version : My Life as a Gay Officer

LiberalNation
05-27-2010, 10:16 AM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-05-26/gay-army-soldier-in-afghanistan-on-dont-ask-dont-tell/

You don't know me. I'm in my early 40s, a career army officer, born and raised in the South. For the last 10 years, I've been in a committed relationship. But revealing who I am would mean breaking the law and risking getting fired, despite 18 years of service to our country, three combat deployments, promotions and a presidential commission to lead troops.

As I write this, it's just past 11 p.m. on Tuesday night in Afghanistan, a day that started like most other days. Yet, today was different. Today, I read that the White House struck a compromise with military leaders, gay advocacy groups and Congress in a deal that could—just might—make 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' a memory by Christmas.

Throughout the day, family and friends called and emailed to ask me how it felt.

I didn't know what to say because I think that, on some level, I just felt numb. And here in Afghanistan, it was something I couldn't share with anyone, and so I just went back to work.

When I joined the army as an ROTC cadet, I knew I was probably gay. I say "probably" because I had girlfriends on and off, and—to be honest—had convinced myself that I could cure that gay thing through enough prayer and enough girlfriends. Problem was, the sex never really worked. Never felt right. Never was right. So, I became good at other tricks. I was always "too drunk" or "had to get up early" or—pathetically—"was injured during rugby."

The deceit, of course, exacted a toll. I was drinking too much, had anger issues, became estranged from the ones I loved. I had decided that celibacy was the way to go when I met a fellow combat arms officer, who was gay. We had similar backgrounds and similar career paths—both at the top of our respective battalions. We were quite alike, except for one small detail: This officer, a West Point graduate, lived an open life. "I'm a damn good infantry officer, a distinguished honor graduate from Ranger school, promoted early to Major," he'd say. "I believe in the Army's core values. And I don't want to lie."

His determination scared me more than a little. I desperately loved my job. It felt like a calling to command my first unit. Here I was, a junior Captain, fast-tracking toward Major. The soldiers respected me, and it was rewarding to do something I was good at. To do what my fellow officer did—to live in the open—was too risky. What if people saw us together, that big gay officer and me? Might as well wear a boa in front of my troops, I thought. And so I cut him off, and fooled myself into believing that I could do without a partner until I retired from the army in another 20 years.

KarlMarx
05-27-2010, 12:04 PM
Sorry, but gays aren't the only ones who have been oppressed. A lot of people have been hurt far worse (Jews for instance).

The military is the one area of the government that actually does its job and does it well... it is NOT something that the Left should use for social experiments.

LiberalNation
05-27-2010, 12:42 PM
that's nothing new, think integration of both women and blacks.

bullypulpit
06-25-2010, 08:00 AM
Sorry, but gays aren't the only ones who have been oppressed. A lot of people have been hurt far worse (Jews for instance).

The military is the one area of the government that actually does its job and does it well... it is NOT something that the Left should use for social experiments.

So the military should never have desegregated? Should never have allowed African-Americans to be more than stewards and cooks? Fuck you Karl...You're pwned.

Sweetchuck
06-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Consider that this little story of a gay officer most likely isn't representative of the average gay person in the military.

If you could get a better understanding of the thoughts, actions and intents of typical gay members of the military, you would have a much better understanding of if and how much of an issue this is.

OCA
06-28-2010, 03:01 PM

In order to be oppressed you have to actually be a minority and have no choice of what you are.

Queers choose their lot in life and know that their will be repercussions for that awful choice........fuck em, keep the don't ask don't tell in place and if they are found out its immediate dishnorable discharge.

KarlMarx
06-28-2010, 04:00 PM
So the military should never have desegregated? Should never have allowed African-Americans to be more than stewards and cooks? Fuck you Karl...You're pwned.
Nice BP, that's about the level of discussion we've come to expect from the Left.

You know, this comparing gays with the plight of blacks in the 1950s is pretty backhanded.

Gays are among the most politically active groups of people in the country. They have a lot of influence, as can be seen by the fact that "don't ask, don't tell" has been on the agendas of two presidents.

The American public has pretty much accepted gays.

There are no Jim Crow laws to prevent gays from voting, there is nothing to stop them from owning property, from getting jobs, from attending the schools of their choice, they are not segregated. Many corporations provide benefits to same sex partners of their gay employees. Many corporations even have gay social groups so that their gay employees can socialize with each other and find "support" (I know Lockheed does).

Knowing this and comparing them to the plight of blacks in the 1950s is an insult.

And you know what? Many blacks find those comparisons offensive, too.

So, if you want to tell me to fuck off, fine. That doesn't make you right, it just makes you rude and make you look like a person who doesn't have an argument.