PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Bush & Obama - LBJ knew how to be a leader in an emergency!

SpidermanTUba
05-28-2010, 04:44 PM
LBJ Visited New Orleans Within 24 Hours After Hurricane Betsy

In the Ninth Ward, Johnson visited the George Washington Elementary School, on St. Claude Avenue, which was being used as a shelter. “Most of the people inside and outside of the building were Negro,” the diary reads. “At first, they did not believe that it was actually the President.” Johnson entered the crowded shelter in near-total darkness; there were only a couple of flashlights to lead the way.

“This is your President!” Johnson announced. “I'm here to help you!”

The diary describes the shelter as a “mass of human suffering,” with people calling out for help “in terribly emotional wails from voices of all ages. . . . It was a most pitiful sight of human and material destruction.” According to an article by the historian Edward F. Haas, published fifteen years ago in the Gulf Coast Historical Review, Johnson was deeply moved as people approached and asked him for food and water; one woman asked Johnson for a boat so that she could look for her two sons, who had been lost in the flood….

http://www.pensitoreview.com/2007/08/30/lbj-visited-nola-a-day-after-hurricane-betsy/

namvet
05-28-2010, 07:25 PM
he also helped murder 58,000 in Nam. so fuckin' what.

Kathianne
05-28-2010, 07:39 PM
he also helped murder 58,000 in Nam. so fuckin' what.

Not to mention the riots of 64 and 65, including Watts.

namvet
05-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Not to mention the riots of 64 and 65, including Watts.

and his own party told him to pac his bags and get outta town :laugh2:

Kathianne
05-28-2010, 08:00 PM
and his own party told him to pac his bags and get outta town :laugh2:

Did they? Seems Walter Cronkite had more pull than he deserved with Johnson. The Dems were not his problem. The American people were, both right and left, obviously for different reasons.

Left: Vietnam
Right: War of Poverty, Civil Rights, ERA

namvet
05-28-2010, 08:58 PM
Did they? Seems Walter Cronkite had more pull than he deserved with Johnson. The Dems were not his problem. The American people were, both right and left, obviously for different reasons.

Left: Vietnam
Right: War of Poverty, Civil Rights, ERA

guess you never saw this. I did. 1968

2-FibDxpkb0

the dems refused to re nominate him. to much heat about the war. I was still in service. attending a training school in San Diego. watched it on the tube that night in the barracks.

Kathianne
05-28-2010, 09:57 PM
guess you never saw this. I did. 1968

2-FibDxpkb0

the dems refused to re nominate him. to much heat about the war. I was still in service. attending a training school in San Diego. watched it on the tube that night in the barracks.

I really don't remember, you're right about that, was still in early grammar school. However, seems to me by that time he'd already decided to not run?

05-29-2010, 01:07 AM
Wasnt much of a leader, couldn't even get reelected.

If you are actually leading people, they respect you and they will gravitate to you naturally.

And btw, there is more to being a leader than just showing up.

Gaffer
05-29-2010, 06:03 AM
LBJ never led anything. He micromanaged. And he did a poor job of that.

namvet
05-29-2010, 08:33 AM
I really don't remember, you're right about that, was still in early grammar school. However, seems to me by that time he'd already decided to not run?

the dems told him they would NOT nominate him for re election. so no choice but to make this pathetic speech. making it sound like it was his decision not to run.

I remember thinking good riddance !!!! when I flew back overseas there was much relief by senior line offices. a big sigh of relief by us all.

namvet
05-29-2010, 08:35 AM
LBJ never led anything. He micromanaged. And he did a poor job of that.

tell me about it. the bombing halt in 68 cost us plenty !!!!

namvet
05-29-2010, 08:36 AM

If you are actually leading people, they respect you and they will gravitate to you naturally.

And btw, there is more to being a leader than just showing up.

Osama is taking this to a new level !!!!!

SpidermanTUba
05-29-2010, 12:17 PM

He didn't run.

namvet
05-29-2010, 12:50 PM
He didn't run.

yes he did. we saw his jack rabbit act. something to behold

SpidermanTUba
05-29-2010, 02:28 PM
yes he did. we saw his jack rabbit act. something to behold

Oh please, he withdrew after New Hampshire, whatever, that's not really running for President.

I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination of my party for another term as your President

namvet
05-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Oh please, he withdrew after New Hampshire, whatever, that's not really running for President.

oh please the DNC told him to eat shit and die

KarlMarx
06-02-2010, 04:27 PM
He became President in 1963 after JFK was shot. Then, he ran in 1964 and was elected. In 1968, he announced that he would not run for office. Hubert Humphrey, LBJ's VP, ran in his place. George Wallace was a third party candidate. Wallace managed to split the Democratic ticket and helped Nixon win.

I think that, someday, in the near future Barak Obama someday will be giving a "my fellow americans" speech much like LBJ. He is becoming obnoxious even to his fellow Democrats. The guy has "LOSE" written all over him...

I think that 2012 will be 1980 all over again. Barak Obama, like Jimmy Carter, has given all the middle of the road undecided types a reason to vote Republican.

Binky
06-02-2010, 06:10 PM
He became President in 1963 after JFK was shot. Then, he ran in 1964 and was elected. In 1968, he announced that he would not run for office. Hubert Humphrey, LBJ's VP, ran in his place. George Wallace was a third party candidate. Wallace managed to split the Democratic ticket and helped Nixon win.

I think that, someday, in the near future Barak Obama someday will be giving a "my fellow americans" speech much like LBJ. He is becoming obnoxious even to his fellow Democrats. The guy has "LOSE" written all over him...

I think that 2012 will be 1980 all over again. Barak Obama, like Jimmy Carter, has given all the middle of the road undecided types a reason to vote Republican.

Boy, that brings back some memories. I remember the day Kennedy was shot as if it happened yesterday. I was 16, sitting in typing class when another teacher came in and whispered something in my teachers ear. Then she went out in the hall and came back in wheeling a table with a tv on it. The event was splashed all over the tube and we spent the rest of the hour watching and discussing it.

I remember sobbing. And hearing sobs all around me. It is a day that will haunt me until I'm put in the ground. A very sad day for America.

About a year or two later, I guess it was, the Warren Commission came out with a book on its findings. I read that from cover to cover. That has got to be one of the most interesting books I have ever read.

I since been to Dallas and stood in the very spot where the shot was supposedly fired from. And to this day, from what I've read of it, I still don't see how the fatal shot could have taken place from the angle they said the gov't said it had. I saw the angle/direction in which he slumped to. And it appeared to me as tho' the shot came from somewhere else.

Anyway, that being said is why I've always had an affinity for strange murders and the events that surrounded them....

And no.......I'm not a ghoul. Just someone interested in the process, info and enjoys winding my way thru the intricasy of the details.