PDA

View Full Version : Man says police wrongly shot medical aid dog

LiberalNation
05-28-2010, 08:23 PM
fuckin pigs.

http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Man-Says-Police-Wrongly-Shot-Medical-Aid-Dog-95143604.html

WHAS11) -- Police say that the incident has already been thoroughly investigated and it has been determined that officers did nothing wrong

But it’s somewhat a case of whose story do you believe….a pet owner who says he lost his medical assistance dog, or police who say they did what they had to while responding to a call.

An attorney has now been contacted, and it’s likely that the court system could sort it all out in the futureSnoopy Dott and her owner Mike Birk were inseparable for many years, until the afternoon of April 27.

“My dog had to be put to sleep. I'm stuck with a vet bill,” said Birk. “I have bi-polar depression and that was my medical dog. It's kind of like shooting a man's seeing-eye dog.”

Police shot Snoopy Dott multiple times while in Birk’s neighborhood looking for a fleeing burglary suspect.

A witness reportedly told police that the man ran towards Birk's house.

“They went to that house to find out more information and as they were doing so, knocking on the door, the dog was at a window barking,” LMPD Spokesperson Officer Carey Klain said.

“When I opened up my door and stepped out, they already had their guns drawn and were ready to shoot,” Birk said. “He came out aggressively towards the officers, barking and showing his teeth,” Klain said. “The officers asked the resident there to please get control of the dog and the officers began backing into the yard.”

“They hit her three times,” said Birk, who described hearing a barrage of gunfire.

Birk said his dog never attacked.

“Never, never. The whole 11 years that I've known her,” he said. “She's never attacked one person

Birk says a hole on his porch, a shell casing and a 9 millimeter bullet are the lingering reminders of the day he had to have Snoopy Dott put to sleep.

“It has been cleared and looked into and it appeared that they followed procedures,” said Klain.

Birk now has a new aid dog, but he says his nightmares haven't stopped.
“Seeing her face when she walked into the house, she looked back at me like ‘daddy, did I do something wrong?’ and ‘I'm sorry.’”

Police say their policy allows them to use deadly force against any animals which poses a danger to an officer or the public.
Officers say that the suspect they were seeking was never found or charged.

Birk says that he has plenty of witnesses who will say the dog was not threatening anyone when she was shot, if this matter winds up in court.

Trigg
05-28-2010, 08:31 PM
unbelievable.

How can they justify shooting the dog of an innocent bystander???

Then they DON'T EVEN CATCH THE ROBBER???????? unreal.

They should expect a dog to bark and come running if they jump into it's backyard. Honestly my old dog is 12yrs old and if you pull into my driveway he'll come running around the house.

LiberalNation
05-28-2010, 08:32 PM
it never attacked them, just growled like any good guard dog would with strangers on their property. Those cops might have been shootin me too if they shot one of my animals like that.

Trigg
05-28-2010, 08:40 PM
it never attacked them, just growled like any good guard dog would with strangers on their property. Those cops might have been shootin me too if they shot one of my animals like that.

I completely agree. I would be devastated if that happened to me and I would have looked like a crazy woman screaming and yelling.

Monkeybone
05-28-2010, 09:19 PM
they didn't just go into the yard, they were knocking on the door of the house. Sad that this happened, but maybe the guy should've controlled his dog more. How did the cops know that it wasn't going to do anything? Wait until it attacks them and then try to pry it off the guy that is it biting?

an unfortunate and tragic thing, never good to lose a pet.

Mr. P
05-28-2010, 10:20 PM
they didn't just go into the yard, they were knocking on the door of the house. Sad that this happened, but maybe the guy should've controlled his dog more. How did the cops know that it wasn't going to do anything? Wait until it attacks them and then try to pry it off the guy that is it biting?

an unfortunate and tragic thing, never good to lose a pet.

And lets not forget the police were looking for a perp. Sad situation but I'll bet these police just didn't shoot a dog for giggles.

Sitarro
05-28-2010, 11:52 PM
A dog over the age of 11 and they felt threatened, was it the grey fur all over it's face that scared the shit out of them? What a couple of pussies. This is the shit heads we have on police forces nowadays? I would sue these fucks out of uniform, they are an embarrassment to police officers everywhere....... trigger happy shits. If they were wetting their pants over a geriatric dog barking at them, why didn't they pull out their favorite toy and taze it, why deadly force? Pussies!

cat slave
05-29-2010, 12:34 AM

That is abominable.

A few years ago in Cookeville, TN some cops stopped a family (cant remember
what for exactly now, think it was a mistake), but some gun happy piece of
cop shit shot the familys Pit Bull to death in front of them, kids and all. The
only danger the cops were in was of being beat to death by a wagging tail.
All caught on camera...sickening.

The trigger happy fool should go to jail if he cant handle things any better
than that and certainly shouldnt be running loose with a gun!

cat slave
05-29-2010, 12:35 AM
A dog over the age of 11 and they felt threatened, was it the grey fur all over it's face that scared the shit out of them? What a couple of pussies. This is the shit heads we have on police forces nowadays? I would sue these fucks out of uniform, they are an embarrassment to police officers everywhere....... trigger happy shits. If they were wetting their pants over a geriatric dog barking at them, why didn't they pull out their favorite toy and taze it, why deadly force? Pussies!

Im with you....very well said.