PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

KitchenKitten99
05-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Due to Dell's tech support's inability to fix all the problems with my machine I bought 3 years ago brand new from them, and several huge issues (like sending a tech out to replace 3 components -motherboard, hard drive, and a USB port- and he only replaces one but said he replaced 3, etc), and it taking Dell's techs almost 3 weeks to figure out they can't fix the mass of problems my system is facing, I am being sent a brand new, not refurbished, laptop.

I thought they would send a basic model, basically identical to what I had before. I had reluctantly agreed on the refurbished system only because with school and my work, etc., it is just getting too hard to just use my netbook. I need a dvd drive and the graphics capability for watching movies, etc.

So the Dell tech manager that I talked to agreed that it shouldnt have taken this long as well as my being passed to other people, etc.

Here are the specs:
Inspiron 15 Notebook
Airborne Documentation, System Exchanges,Factory Install
9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Integrated High Definition Audio 2.2
Obsidian Black IMR
Integrated 1.3M Pixel Webcam
8X DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive
Intel Core i5 - 430M
4GB,DDR3,1066MHZ,2 DIMM
15.6" HD WLED
512MB ATI Radeon HD 4330
S and P Drop-in-Box Marcom forDHS Notebooks
Windows 7 Label
DELL RESOURCE DVD,BACK-UP,1564
320G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
ADOBE READER 9.0 MULTI- LANGUAGE
McAfee Sapphire MUI, 15-Month
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit
PC-Restore, Dim/Insp
Dell Connect 2.1
Dell Dock Consumer
Dell, Software, Wild Tangent Inc Games
DataSafe Local BackUp 2.0 Basic
Cozi-Calendar
DELL-DOWNLOAD-FLAG
Dell Support Center Software 64 Bit 2.0
Windows Live Search,Inspiron
Dell Webcam Central v1.4
Microsoft Works 9.0, English, Inspiron
Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Dell Wireless 1520 802.11n Half Mini Card

Honestly, I really didnt expect them to send one that is this beefy. My current/old machine didnt have a webcam, but they are including it on this one as well as an upgraded battery, and an upgrade to the HD LED screen. I didn't get to choose anything on the system but considering i originally was going to get a refurbished system and not a new one, I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Monkeybone
05-28-2010, 09:27 PM
the last laptop that I had from Dell three times within a year. First time was about 8 months and then the second was about a month later and then last was after the warranty had expired. It was bull crap. It was the hard drive each time. I got so upset that it was bam bam bam, that I swore Dell off especially since my previous laptop had last me 5 years.

so I bought a MacBook. Have never been happier, I love this thing.

at least they are taking care of you.

Gaffer
05-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Sounds like the least they can do after all the run around. Also sounds like a few techs need to be seeking jobs elsewhere. One thing I have determined about dell. Their products are good for about three years then they just die with multiple failed parts. at least you should be good for another three years with this new one. :thumb:

KitchenKitten99
05-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Sounds like the least they can do after all the run around. Also sounds like a few techs need to be seeking jobs elsewhere. One thing I have determined about dell. Their products are good for about three years then they just die with multiple failed parts. at least you should be good for another three years with this new one. :thumb:

Why do you think I buy the extended warranty with accidental damage coverage? It would be just my luck that something would happen or go wrong at a very financially inopportune time. I am actually surprise though because my laptop was in my house fire survived the dousing with water and smoke and soot. No additional repairs were needed outside a couple days to dry out and an exterior scrubbing, and the house fire was back in Dec. 2008.

Honestly, this is really the only real problem I have ever had with Dell's support team. I have been a customer of them for 8 years. All the computers I have purchased through them have never had major issues that weren't solved within a reasonable amount of time. This just happened to be the one time I do have an issue.

Monkeybone, I hate macs, and Apple products in general. I do not like the company's anti-competition mentality. Reminds me too much of the US Government at the moment. Imagine how much the cost would go down on a Mac if there were other manufacturers of the same product? Plus they base the advertising of their products around the fact they believe their own customers are too stupid to operate a PC. Macs are way too limited for my taste. I do not like being told I have to be happy with what they have for programs (I like choice and I love to make my PC my own-I am an individual, not a lemming) and have to worry about compatibility of software and other documents. I love having 6 people i know who work on computers at my disposal if I have a question or a possible issue with my PC (which is rare) and they will do it for nothing or nearly nothing. I don't know anyone who works on Macs. That's like buying a car through a dealer and then finding out that the only place you can take your car for anything needed, including buying accessories, changing oil, etc., is the dealer.