PDA

View Full Version : Brown-eyed men perceived as dominant

chloe
05-29-2010, 08:08 AM
White men with brown eyes are perceived to be more dominant than their blue-eyed counterparts. However, a blue-eyed man looking to make himself appear more dominant would be wasting his time investing in brown-coloured contact lenses. A new study by Karel Kleisner and colleagues at Charles University in the Czech Republic has found that brown iris colour seems to co-occur with some other aspect of facial appearance that triggers in others the perception of dominance.

Sixty-two student participants, half of them female, rated the dominance and/or attractiveness of the photographed faces of forty men and forty women. All models were Caucasian, and all of them were holding a neutral expression. Men with brown eyes were rated consistently as more dominant than blue-eyed men. No such effect of eye-colour was found for the photos of women. Eye colour also bore no association to the attractiveness ratings.

Next the researchers used Photoshop to give the brown-eyed men blue eyes and the blue-eyed men brown eyes. The photos were then rated by a new batch of participants. The intriguing finding here was that the dominance ratings were left largely unaffected by the eye colour manipulation. The men who really had brown eyes, but thanks to Photoshop appeared with blue eyes, still tended to be rated as more dominant.

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2010/05/men-with-brown-eyes-are-perceived-as.html

HogTrash
05-29-2010, 08:37 AM
White men with brown eyes are perceived to be more dominant than their blue-eyed counterparts. However, a blue-eyed man looking to make himself appear more dominant would be wasting his time investing in brown-coloured contact lenses. A new study by Karel Kleisner and colleagues at Charles University in the Czech Republic has found that brown iris colour seems to co-occur with some other aspect of facial appearance that triggers in others the perception of dominance.

Sixty-two student participants, half of them female, rated the dominance and/or attractiveness of the photographed faces of forty men and forty women. All models were Caucasian, and all of them were holding a neutral expression. Men with brown eyes were rated consistently as more dominant than blue-eyed men. No such effect of eye-colour was found for the photos of women. Eye colour also bore no association to the attractiveness ratings.

Next the researchers used Photoshop to give the brown-eyed men blue eyes and the blue-eyed men brown eyes. The photos were then rated by a new batch of participants. The intriguing finding here was that the dominance ratings were left largely unaffected by the eye colour manipulation. The men who really had brown eyes, but thanks to Photoshop appeared with blue eyes, still tended to be rated as more dominant.

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2010/05/men-with-brown-eyes-are-perceived-as.htmlThis doesn't sound like a reliable scientific study unless the study is only about how we judge others.

The findings are the result of nothing more than opinions based on the visual perception of photographs.

chloe
05-29-2010, 08:40 AM
:laugh2: so you have blue eyes? Perception is a big influence in society.

HogTrash
05-29-2010, 08:53 AM
:laugh2: so you have blue eyes? Perception is a big influence in society.It sounds as though you believe that I wish to be perceived as dominant?

Surprisingly, I'm a calm, mild mannered, gentleman Chloe, and quite proud of it.

chloe
05-29-2010, 08:56 AM
It sounds as though you believe that I wish to be perceived as dominant?

Surprisingly, I'm a calm, mild mannered, gentleman Chloe, and quite proud of it.

Nice dodge, perception was the point wasn't it?

HogTrash
05-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Nice dodge, perception was the point wasn't it?Yes it was, and I'm a big fan of perception...It is a great tool.

PC tells us to ignore perceptions, or "judging" as liberals call it.

05-29-2010, 09:12 AM
what about eyes that are sometimes blue, grey, green or hazel? lol

chloe
05-29-2010, 09:23 AM
what about eyes that are sometimes blue, grey, green or hazel? lol

chameleon eyes are fascinating, but not dominant.

Binky
05-29-2010, 03:22 PM

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2010/05/men-with-brown-eyes-are-perceived-as.html

These idiots have far too much money and time on their hands if they are studying crapola such as this. Give me a break! How come they aren't studying why it's fashionable in the mideast to lop of someones head? Is it because that someone disagreed with what they believe in? Why do they commit such acts? Now that seems more worthy of time and money spent to study rather than such bullpucky as the color of ones eyes and whether or not that means a person is more dominent..... Just plain crapola.....:lame2:

chloe
05-29-2010, 07:41 PM
These idiots have far too much money and time on their hands if they are studying crapola such as this. Give me a break! How come they aren't studying why it's fashionable in the mideast to lop of someones head? Is it because that someone disagreed with what they believe in? Why do they commit such acts? Now that seems more worthy of time and money spent to study rather than such bullpucky as the color of ones eyes and whether or not that means a person is more dominent..... Just plain crapola.....:lame2:

:laugh2:....I'm sure they do study that as well :beer:

Binky
05-31-2010, 09:08 AM
:laugh2:....I'm sure they do study that as well :beer:

Well, Miss Chloe, I'm sure they wouldn't know a good study subject if it came up and bit them in the ass.....Munch, munch...Chomp, chomp.....:laugh2: